Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Scrapez
Feb 27, 2004

Spike posted:

The NPS.gov site says Lake Mead has largemouth bass, striped bass, channel catfish, crappie, and bluegill. Do you guys know of any types of lures or bait I should use that would be more or less universal? I'm apathetic to the species of fish I would catch, I just want to fish, dammit.

mepps spinner baits are very good for multiple species. They come in a variety of sizes. I'd suggest a #1 aglia for panfish and a #3 black fury for bass.M

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Scrapez
Feb 27, 2004

Definitely check with the local authorities. Here in Iowa, the department of natural resources will stock your pond for free but there are requirements for the body if water.

Scrapez
Feb 27, 2004

WayneCampbell posted:

Anyone have any recommendations for websites for learning different types of rigs? So far my repertoire consists of bobber/sinker/hook and that's it.

What type of fish are you fishing for?

Scrapez
Feb 27, 2004

Also on Texas rigs, if you catch a couple fish or if your worm just gets worn, bite off the top section that's ripped making the worm shorter and re thread it on the hook. You can use a 7" worm until it is like 4" long.

Some of my biggest bass have been caught on a Texas rig with a 4" worm with half a tail.

My favorite type of bass fishing is top water. I've had best luck at dusk when the water surface is dead calm. Run a buzz bait, hula popper or zara spook along the shoreline. Just remember to pause before you set the hook when you see something smash your lure.

Scrapez
Feb 27, 2004

It's definitely about practice. Takes awhile. My suggestion is to start with a fairly heavy lure and dial the spool so it doesn't free reel easily. Most reels have a knob that controls spool tension. Make sure you are casting downwind.

Once you get a feel, slowly dial back the tension until you cast further and further. Also you want a nice steady speed cast. Don't whip it. Casting side arm is easier than overhand, imo.

When you do get a rats nest, put your thumb on the spool and slowly pull line out until you get to the knot. Then grab by the knot with your thumb and finger and rip up so that you have loose line. Pull more out until you get to another knot and repeat. Hard to explain but you can get most backlashes out with some short work. That's with mono...small braided can be impossible.

I could never go back to a spin cast for bass fishing. I'm much faster and more accurate with a baitcaster. Good luck!

Scrapez
Feb 27, 2004

ClumsyThief posted:

Is 12lb mono acceptable for the reel I described? When you say lure weight, how heavy is usually ideal at least starting out? I feel like the downwind thing might be a big source of my woes; it makes sense, I've just never heard it said before.

12 mono is what I usually use. When I say heavy lure, i'm talking a crankbait or Texas rig with 3/8 or 1/2 ounce bullet weight. Just not something like a wacky rig senko without a weight. Once you get good, you will be able tocast about anything.

The wind is big with a baitcaster. Casting into the wind is very difficult even with practice...just have to make sure you are adjusting your reel to conditions.

Scrapez
Feb 27, 2004

Obsoletely Fabulous posted:

My girlfriend absolutely loves fishing, but said she needs a new tackle box. Any suggestions on a decent one or what to put in it it? I don't want to give her an empty box as a present. She generally just fishes for bass and pike by her dad's house. We are in Michigan if that matters at all. I've never really fished, but I got dragged out yesterday. Now I plan on picking up a combo deal at Gander Mountain or Bass Pro when I get a chance. It was a lot of fun, though her dad did tie my hook on and all that and she baited my hooks for me.

I really like the soft sided tackle boxes. They are just a bag with 4 or 5 plastic organizers that fit inside vertically. Nice thing is you can get like 10 of the plastic boxes and switch them out for the type of fishing you will be doing.

Scrapez
Feb 27, 2004

With the zara spook it's called "walking the dog" get some slack in your line and jerk the line tight. The lure will move one direction. Repeat and it moves the other. Continue this in a steady back and forth while you reel up slack.

Scrapez
Feb 27, 2004

It could also be smaller fish trying to take the bait and just grabbing a leg. You'll get bluegill and rock bass grab those things all the time. Really annoying.

If you get a big aggressive fish, there's usually no doubt. You'll see a huge swirl. When I see the swirl, I say "1" in my head and then set the hook.

It's definitely trial and error. Set too soon and they aren't to the hook, set too late and they realize it's not a frog and spit it out. Definitely my favorite type of fishing, though.

Scrapez
Feb 27, 2004

^^^Nice bass!

Got my fishing fix in today. The subdivision we're in has a small pond (approx. 3/4 acre). When I talked to the builder, he said it had some big catfish in it but I wasn't sure what to really expect or if he knew what he was talking about.

I walked behind the house and threw out a 1/32 jig with my ultralight the other day and this guy devoured it:

Really nice crappie. I didn't have anything to measure him but I'd say he was a good 10 1/2-11". I used to do a fair bit of crappie fishing and we wouldn't keep anything under 9" and he was well over that.

I've been out a couple times since and have caught a couple other crappie the same size and a couple small bass. All on the ultralight and that 1/32 jig. I talked to one of the neighbors who was out there fishing and he said there are some nice bass in the 5 pound range in the pond. My baitcaster setup is out of commission since the movers broke my rod but once I get a new one I'm anxious to head back there and try some top water action at dusk for bass. It is my favorite kind of fishing. Nothing like a 5 pound bass exploding on a buzz bait.

Also, I've been considering buying a canoe to fish out of. Anyone here fish out of a canoe extensively? I know SOT kayaks are preferred but with a canoe, my wife and I can also use it for recreation so it would be useful beyond fishing.

I have been looking at the Old Town Saranac 146. Any thoughts on it?

Scrapez
Feb 27, 2004

Armed Neutrality posted:

I left work early today to go fishing, and ended up catching my PB trout, right around 20 inches. I used a 5 weight glass rod, and a gold ribbed hare's ear I tied myself. Awesome day.

Beautiful fish. I really need to get another fly rod and learn to use it properly.

Had a cheap Cabelas 5 weight that I would use to catch spawning bluegill out of my parents pond but it got broken.

Scrapez
Feb 27, 2004

Well now I just feel terrible about gigging gar in the backwaters if the Mississippi when I was a kid. :(

Scrapez
Feb 27, 2004

bunnielab posted:

Hello fishing thread!

Until last week I have never been fishing but now I am pretty obsessed. I was in Miami for work and some of the guys on my crew took me into some swamp and we spent a while fishing for mangrove snapper. It was just insanely fun and I am totally hooked.

I live in MD, specifically southern Ann Arundel county. I live on a farm with a ~1 acre pond that was stocked with catfish about 2-4 years back and then never fished much. My eventual goal is to get a kayak so I can fish from that. My job is pretty much travel based so I end up with a ton of weekdays off and fishing seems perfect for that.

I went out to get a license today and ended up buying a small rod and spinning reel. The clerk was super helpful, also recommended the "Fishing for Dummies" book as a god intro and told me to read it before I freak out and spend a ton of money. When I explained the deal with the pond and suggested that I was more or less ready to freak out he laughed and said that if I really was super super hot to jump in (and boy I was/am) he would get me a set-up so I could go fish the pond this week.

I told him I wanted to spend around $100 and he got me a bunch of gear that came in around $80. He wound the reel for me and did some basic casting lessons and told me to get out there and fish, then come back if I'm still into it and he will be more then happy to sell me piles of crap. It was raining too hard to get any outdoor casting lessons in but I think I sort of grasp how to do it. Once the rain slacks off today I am going to go tie the leader thingy on and go practice casing in the yard a bit.

Very excited to fish!

If anyone is from this area and can offer and advice and/or tips I would appreciate the poo poo out if it.

A 1 acre pond is a great size to fish. My parents have one behind their house that is about that size. Do you know the depth of the pond? I'm not sure what your winters are like in Maryland but if it gets pretty cold and freezes, you'll need more water depth or the fish will die from lack of oxygen.

Also, the depth will determine what types of lures you'll use if you're running crank baits and at what depth you set a bobber if your float fishing.

That said, as a general rule on ponds, I've found that "points point out fish". Meaning that if there is a natural point that juts out into the pond somewhere, try fishing around that area. Also, if there are any other naturally "different" spots in the pond...say a spot where the depth changes abruptly or a spot where run off or a stream enters the pond, those would be good places to try.

If the only fish in the pond are catfish, it limits the type of fishing. Catfish typically won't bite as much on artificial lures like crank baits or spinner baits (Though they certainly will at times).

Typically, people fish for catfish by throwing bait on the bottom or suspending it from a bobber. When I've bottom fished for catfish, I've typically used stink bait, which is just that...nasty stinky gooey stuff that looks like peanut butter and smells like death. You can buy these type of dip baits that you stick down in the stink bait:

If you're going to fish them on the bottom, you'll want to add a sinker most likely to be able to cast out a bit further. Something like below:

You can also use what's called a slip bobber. They allow you to suspend your bait at a certain depth which you set by moving a slide above the bobber on the line. This is my preferred method of fishing for catfish:

You can use stink bait with a slip bobber as well. Nightcrawlers tend to work well as does cut bait (cut up pieces of small fish like bluegill). The other thing that I've had luck with in ponds is just putting a plain hook on, say 3/0 in size and hooking a live small bluegill through the tail. I've caught a lot of large catfish this way.

That should give you an idea of baits to use. The other thing with catfish is that you typically want heavier rod/reel and line. They fight well for their size and have a tendency to spin when hooked and can cut your line or snap it.

Catfish also generally examine and take the bait slowly so if you see your bobber, line or end of your pole move slightly, wait for just a few seconds before you set the hook.

Once you've caught one, make sure you avoid their side and top fin as they'll cut ya and they have a sort of semi-poisonous substance kind of like getting scratched by a cat. Doesn't do any real harm but stings like hell. For the smaller catfish, you can grip them with your pointer finger and thumb just behind their top fin. There are some indentions there that allow for a decent grip.

I started fishing as a kid catching catfish on a lake we'd go to every year. We would sit out on the beach and throw stink bait out on the bottom.

Scrapez
Feb 27, 2004

bunnielab posted:

General questions:
[*]Will rain affect my chances of getting a catfish or fish in general to bite? It has been raining for days and started up pretty good when I was out this afternoon.

Maybe. Sometimes rain can be good, sometimes it can turn off the fish. It's really more about the atmospheric conditions than the raindrops themselves. Cold fronts generally turn off the fish bite where warm fronts have a tendency to turn them on.

There is a huge science to it and magazines and fisherman get really super crazy about fishing when the moon phases, barometric pressure, temperature, cloud cover, etc, etc, etc are just perfect.

To be honest, unless there's a big cold front, I wouldn't worry about it. At worst, you'll drink a 6 pack and catch no fish.

The only time I would say this wouldn't apply is if it's rained so much that it has clouded up the water a whole bunch. Even then, you might catch catfish as they typically rely on their smell to feed.

bunnielab posted:

[*]What time of day is best for catfish?

Depends. Generally fish feed most near dawn and dusk but it just depends on the time of year, how the recent weather has been, etc. Catfish love feeding at night. I've caught more catfish during the night than during the day.

Usually early in the spring, the fish will bite better in late afternoon from my experience. Once the water gets warmed up a bit by the day's sun.

Scrapez
Feb 27, 2004

Nice bluegill!

I should have taken my phone with tonight. Went out to the pond behind the house and caught my biggest crappie yet. An absolute slab! 12.5 or 13 inches and thick. Thought it was a bass until I got him in. Caught it on a Mepps 00 Aglia.

Talked to another neighbor and he said there are 10+ pound cat, 5+ pound largemouth and even a few 2-3 pound smallies in there. Surprised it can sustain that size fish. Pond is a good 2 acres but only about 5 feet deep.

I guess I'm just used to the ponds up north where I'm from. A 5 foot deep pond up there can't support fish through winter.

Scrapez
Feb 27, 2004

Looks great. I'm planning a canoe purchase so I'll probably be building one of these soon.

Nice job!

Scrapez
Feb 27, 2004

HenryJLittlefinger posted:

What kind of canoe?

Looking at either an old town saranac 146 or a mad river adventure 14. There's a used Adventure on craigslist with paddles, motor mount and trolling motor for $500 that I think I'm going to go look at.

Thoughts on either for fishing/recreational padding with the wife?

Scrapez
Feb 27, 2004

bunnielab posted:

I caught my first bass today, I believe a smallmouth.

The water I was fishing is a weird little lake that meanders like a river. I was fishing a spot maybe 14' across and 3-4' deep. I was not at all expecting to hook anything other then my usual 3-6" bluegills. The water was so clear, I could see Mr Bass swimming around with my hook in his mouth. I spent maybe 2 hours trying to catch him again to remove the hook but he never bit again. He also was driving all the bluegill away from my bait. Right as I was about to leave I saw another bass next to him, but maybe 3-5" bigger. He would also not bit on anything I cast. The bottom here is totally clogged with logs and smaller branches so I am really limited to what I can cast without getting snagged every time.

Check out Texas rigged worms for a weedless way to fish that. Since it is so narrow and shallow, I'd go without a weight. Just hook and Texas rigged worm without the bullet weight.

bunnielab posted:

Bonus Gross poo poo:

Saw this jammed in a spillway and fished it out:

It looked flesh like but even after sitting on the shore for like 2 hours there were no flys on it so idk. Anyone have an idea what this thing is?

I'm pretty sure you've found Buffalo Bill's human skin suit from Silence of The Lambs. If someone asks you to help load a couch in their van around there, RUN!

Scrapez
Feb 27, 2004

Do you guys really break rods enough to worry about warranties?

My bass rig is a rod I picked up by Leech Lake in Minnesota about 10 years ago. Can't see breaking one unless I slammed it in a door or something.

Scrapez
Feb 27, 2004

Nice looking fish but I think your scale may be reading a bit heavy. ;)

Scrapez
Feb 27, 2004

Almost all bass fisherman use baitcasters. Once you learn, it's like riding a bike.

A baitcasting reel can generally cast a lot further than a spincast or close faced reel which is nice if you're throwing crankbaits. You want to be able to cover as much water as possible.

I have an ultralight spincast that I use for crappie and panfish and a baitcaster setup for bass. I think you'll find this to be pretty typical.

Scrapez
Feb 27, 2004

DoctaFun posted:

Just make sure there's always tension on the line when reeling in and you should have no problem with a spinning reel. This isn't a problem when you're reeling in a heavy lure, or at least one with some resistance like a crank bait. But when you screw up a cast, set the hook and miss a fish, or any other number of situations where all of a sudden there is slack in your line, that's when you need to pay attention.

When there's slack in the line it doesn't spool right on the reel, or it wraps around the top/bottom of the reel, or just doesn't get wrapped on the spool tight, which can cause problems.

If for whatever reason I find some slack in my line, I just hold the line in between my pointer and middle finger and just apply some tension. I can't remember the last time I had a bird's nest on any of my spinning reels.

This is good advice for any type of reel. Always make sure there is tension.

Scrapez
Feb 27, 2004

Slightly Toasted posted:

And that fishing rods don't float :smith:

I've learned this tough lesson a couple times fishing for crappie in Wisconsin.

We generally troll small jigs with minnows and if your line is out and you need a beer or are eating something, you just kind of sit your pole down in the boat. If you get a crappie, no problem, you are able to grab it but sometimes a northern will grab a hold of it and then it's curtains.

Superior never gives up her dead and Round Lake never gives up her Pfluegers. :negative:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Scrapez
Feb 27, 2004

DoctaFun posted:

Figured it out, the motor visible in the first picture is the kicker motor, probably like a 9.9 horse, the motor visible in the 2nd picture is the main motor, I think a 250 hp, it made for a weird perspective.

Definitely see why you thought that. I had figured it out and was going to reply when I saw your second post. That is an absolute monster! Can't imagine catching one that size. I've caught 10 pounders and they fought like crazy.