Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

imac1984
May 3, 2004

I have finally decided to break down and ask for help on SA. I'm a newbie fisher even though technically this is my 2nd season. I live north of washington dc, there are a ton of lakes (some pre-stocked) and a great deal of opportunity to (what I thought would be very easy) catch some fish! I went from about May til September last year fishing probably once a week average at the various lakes around me and did not catch a single fish... in fact, I did not get a single bite! I've read all there is to read and watched the youtube videos on how to catch bass (since they seem to be the "easiest"), I have several rods and a wide array of lures. I've tried plastic worms (texas and wacky rigged), spinner baits, crank baits, you name it. I've gone morning, afternoon, evening. Mostly fishign from shore, although I rented a paddle boat once last year and rode around to various spots that seemed exactly what I should be looking for and still got nothing. There is obviously something very fundamentally wrong with what I'm doing and I can't figure out what it is. I've tried soliciting help from real people in the area, but none of my friends/family have any interest in fishing so I'm kinda on my own. I feel like I've covered most of the basics about my situation, but please feel free to ask about whatever else would be important.

At this point I just want to catch a fish! that's it, I don't care what it is, I just want to know that I have the ability.

Please fishing-goons, any help you could offer would be most appreciated!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

imac1984
May 3, 2004

Dik Hz posted:

The Potomac River up above DC is one of the best smallmouth bass rivers in the world. Likewise the Shenandoah river is the #1 smallmouth river in the USA. Have you fished either? I described both in the last thread and can dig out that info if you don't have archives.

I tried fishing along the toepath a couple weeks ago near great falls, but had no luck (obviously). I heard from a friend when he was hiking down there that there were fish EVERYWHERE.

I do have archives, so I'll go dig up your post about that area and see what I can learn. I'm guessing you're around here?