Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

Brozekiel posted:

Hey a fishing thread! I'm looking to buy a flyfishing rod/reel/line combo. Any go-to recommended set ups? I'm just getting into fly fishing so something under $200 is my budget - either 4, 5, or 6 weight. I'll mostly be fishing for trout but would like to fish salmon, too.

I use a 9' Redington Classic Trout and a Redington Surge reel, 5 weight. I mostly fish for tiny little trout (like 4") in a tiny little stream, and while my setup isn't precisely ideal for that it has the benefit of being extremely versatile in that I can have a single rig that works for most everything, and I can take it to any trout stream and do well (but based on what I've been told, 5wt is probably too small for salmon). Using this guy in a small stream means a lot of roll casting and takes a gentle hand with the set, but I haven't had a single complaint with it.

I'm pretty new to fly fishing, but the CT is nice because it's medium-action, not fast-action like most other rods I found. Medium action is supposed to be a lot better for learning to cast, and I prefer my CT to fast-action rods I've used. The slower action also helps it to perform better for smaller fish and streams: what would be an overzealous hook-set on a 9' fast-action, and would either jerk the fly away or end up with the fish screaming towards my head at mach 2 actually works well with the slower rod.

I ended up paying right at $200 for my setup including line (the reel was pre-spooled), but it took a couple days of scouring the internet for deals and coupons.

In any case, I'd strongly recommend getting something with a lifetime warranty. Both the items I listed have one (that's a big reason why I got the Surge over the Pursuit, but being aluminum instead of plastic didn't hurt). The Surge's MSRP is $80 unspooled, but you ought to be able to find it for $50 spooled (even though Redington's page says it doesn't come spooled), and you can get CT rods for under $150 all day long now, including from Amazon.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

Don't get rid of all your spinners, that's a horrible idea. Different reels have different strengths, baitcast isn't strictly superior to spinners.