Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

tesilential
Nov 22, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Hot drat an SA Fishing Thread!
Like many of you I had dreams of going pro as a child, only to have girls and cars divert my interest. Three weeks ago I went bass fishing in a tiny neighborhood retention pond with a coworker and got the bug again. Didn't catch anything, but getting some casts in and watching a gator cruise made me realize I had to start fishing again. Went to the store and got fresh and saltwater licenses since both are nearby. My gf and I recently bought stand up paddle boards to explore the tampa bay waters with and I realized I could use that as a fishing vessel to hunt reds on the flats.

Went saltwater fishing with the same coworker who has a 15' fishing kayak, I took my 12' paddle board (big rear end surfboard) and laid the rod on the board while paddling and had gear and water in a fanny pack.
Paddled from the Dunedin causeway (to Honeymoon island) over to Caladesi island but the wind and tide were brutal so I ended up having to wade after ditching the board on a tiny island off the tip of Caledsi. Next time I'll have an anchor so I can stop where I want. Saw tons of HUGE mullet and pinfish on the calm inland side of caladesi after seeing none on the long cruise over. Also saw a BIG bull shark cruise 10 yards in front of me, between me and Ended up pulling a spotted seatrout out of that little pool and a couple more later in the day. Also had a 5 inch sailor's choice bite my 4 inch mirror lure catch 22 and get hooked on the rear treble hook. 2 trout took whole shrimp while the other took a blue Mirrordine. My cowoker caught 6 trout, half on shrimp half on mirrodine. Saw plenty of dolphins, including a female with her calf. Tons of wildlife in these shallow waters.
EDIT: forgot to say everything was released alive that day :) Will be shooting to kill next time though ;)

Today I got a couple more mirrolures and a 5 lb folding anchor. I plan to use bungees and straps to attach a milk crate to the front of my board that will hold the anchor, 2 rods, gear, beer, etc. Google "paddle board fishing" to see pictures of what I'm talking about.

My one worry about this particular area is there are bull sharks, thousands of stingrays, and even hammerheads in channel, and some boaters actually accelerate past kayakers and other paddlers to be dicks. I would NOT swim through the channel that I paddle over by choice.

Now a couple fishing line questions! I am setting up a surf rod for real bait and a lighter lure action rod for my rig. I need new line since my line is currently several years old. The surf rod has I believe 15 lb mono on it and the lure rod has like 8-12 lb mono.

Should I be using braided? Not much chance of getting hooked up since it's all sand or grass bottom. Conditions range from completely murky to pretty drat clear. IIRC my buddy was using green braided line.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tesilential
Nov 22, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Thanks for the tip, I guess I'll stick with mono. Has knot technology changed lately? I'm still tying a clinch knot with a square knot on top just in case.

Nice haul of mahi mahi! Never fished for them but back on puerto Rico they catch boat loads of >5' dolphin on just a spool of line and a hook with bait.

tesilential
Nov 22, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Spooled up some green mono on the surf rod. I think it was Berkeley, about $9 for 650 yards 20 lb test.

This stuff had almost as much memory going off the plastic spool than my several year old mono had coming off the reel. Is this normal? I may have put on a tad bit too much but I feel I can cast further with more line.

Edit: forgot the fun part.

Went on the SUPs with the GF today, no rods just cruising. Every time I've been to the channel lately the tide is lower and lower. The lack of water meant 100s of acres of sand bottom were now dry. I saw the biggest redfish I've ever seen at the edges of these "islands." I was pleasantly surprised to see that I got within 10 ft of them without being seen. One actually had to dart directly under my board. The wind was brutal and created a chop which helped keep me concealed. All the same when I go back tomorrow I will have to anchor way before I see the fish in order to cast my lure without spooking them.

Gotta stop by ACE to make some PVC rod holders for the milk crate. I had success bungeeing a soft cooler to the front today so I recon this whole thing might work out. :)

tesilential fucked around with this message at 05:58 on May 21, 2012

tesilential
Nov 22, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Get him a pack of gulp soft baits too.

My buddy used them in place of live shrimp yesterday and blew me away. 10 sea trout to my 2.

I attached a milk crate setup to my SUP yesterday. It was way too heavy and affected my handling and stability. I basically had to land the board and fish from shire because it wasn't stable enough to move around and grab rods, etc. I'm gonna leave the casting net at home next time and move the crate further up. When I would reach back for my rod the back end started to sink so I gotta figure it out.

I also installed a couple guide loops yesterday. The threading was easy but I rushed through epoxying 3 loops in like 3 minutes so I could go fishing. Later I practiced with the epoxy and easily got a clean coat using my finger to smooth it out. Might cut it off with a razor blade and do it nicely if I get time in the coming weeks.

tesilential fucked around with this message at 05:06 on May 25, 2012

tesilential
Nov 22, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Lost a mirrolure top dog lure today :(. The first trilene knot I ever tied lasted about 10 casts. It was also my first time using fluorocarbon, that stuff just does not hold a knot like mono. It's also 30 # test so I'm sure that didn't help set the knot, it ended up unraveling. Google says double uni is the best fluoro knot.

The good news is I learned the blood knot pretty well yesterday, and used it to connect 15# mono to the fluoro. That knot held famously and went through the guides without issue. In fact I was getting really nice casts before the lure knot gave.

tesilential fucked around with this message at 23:41 on May 24, 2012

tesilential
Nov 22, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Had an awesome time fishing the gulf side of Caldesi island. Got up early and enjoyed a calm paddle a few hundred yards out. My anchor worked awesome on the SUP. I basically had a floating dock I could park anywhere fish from. I saw what i thought were dolphins, but turned out to be HUGE tarpon! They were casually feeding just feet away. They didnt hit dead pin fish, gulp crab and shrimp or a mirrodine. Probably for the better since i woulda went for a ride. We followed them for a while but then gave up. I was shocked at the size of those things!

We also saw a bunch of snook in the flats. The water temp has gone up since last week and they didn't hit poo poo either.

What are some good snook and tarpon tactics?

tesilential
Nov 22, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
No kayaks anymore but I carry two SUPs, a 12' and 9' on top of my 01 accord coupe. Just run ratchet straps through the inside (with doors open) and around the kayak. Tighten them down pretty good. I use foam pool noodles between the and board and between the boards to prevent damage. The entire roof of the car is the support, i would do the same thing if I had 1 kayak. Total cost <$15. A roof rack woulda been $300-500.

tesilential
Nov 22, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Some pics I meant to post last week but Imgur was down.
[img] http://i.imgur.com/tOCf6s.jpg[/img]

The last few are from today. Left the rod and gear at the car because the wind was 15mph onshore and I probably woulda sank with the gear. Saw a bunch of redfish and trout in the windy exposed grass flats. Oddly when I got to the calm mangroves I didn't see any predatory fish until I it into the tight mangrove trail, when I ran up on a redfish so close he looked me in the eye. Shoulda wacked him with the paddle!

tesilential fucked around with this message at 04:02 on Jun 1, 2012

tesilential
Nov 22, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

IM FROM THE FUTURE posted:

These pics look possibly awesome except that they are only 90x90 pixels :( Your stories make me really wanna visit the west coast soon with my yak.

I'll look at it when I get home. I'm posting from an iPhone so I don't know how it comes off on a big display. I got probated for breaking tables a few weeks back :/

tesilential
Nov 22, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
What are the best reels I can get for $50 or less? My I havent upgraded rods/reels in 10 years and am now in need. My small reel is completely jammed and needS an insane amount of effort to turn. The large is an old garcia that doesn't lock in reverse. Meaning I can reel backwards and the line will spool up and knot up.

Basically I need a light saltwater reel (can handle 15 lb mono tho I'll be using braid) and a surf reel (for tossing live and dead bait, 20-30lb mono).

I've got $50 for each or $100 for both. Here's the catch. I have been primarily fishing from a SUP, so my poo poo gets wet. I want gear that can take a dunk in saltwater and not be hosed. Realistically, I can clean once every few trips.

What reels should I get that can take the abuse at my $ bracket?

tesilential
Nov 22, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Nice! I've been wanting to try spear fishing but to be honest the sharks worry me. Swimming around carrying bloody fish just seems like asking for it.

----------------------

No gear heads in the fishing thread!¿

Still looking for quality spinning reel recommendations for ~$50.

tesilential
Nov 22, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Where are you all buying braided line in bulk? I'm getting an Okuma spinning reel that can take 2-300 yards of braid, but it only comes in spools of 125 yards around here. I've checked eBay but it seems like there are crappy off brands mixed in.

tesilential
Nov 22, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
I am overwhelmed in my search for a saltwater lure reel to be used for reds, snook and the like.

I was set on Penn SSG($100), then Okuma avenger($40), pflueger presidential ($60), back over to Penn Sargus ($100) then Penn Battle ($100ish) and then read a couple unfavorable reviews and now I'm considering the shimano spheros.

My head is going to explode. Everytime I make a decision I end up reading something negative or hearing about a new reel.

What reel would you all recommend? I will be mostly fishing off a SUP, kayak, flats or shore. I asked earlier but my budget has increased from $50 to $100, which has opened quite a few more options but hasn't made the decision any easier.

What's worse I'm discovering there is a ton of brand loyalty and contradicting advise out there. Such as many great reviews on the Penns while there are many people who say they are garbage and shimano stuff beats it.

tesilential
Nov 22, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Dammit someone recommend me a $100 spinning reel!

Checked out the Penn Battle and SSG and even the Slammer (on clearance for $110) and TBH none felt nearly as smooth as even the $50 shimanos. They honestly felt kinda cheap, is this because they outsourced to China? The battle was the nicest but I could still feel the gears when I turned the handle.

tesilential
Nov 22, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

causticBeet posted:

I got a Shimano Sedona 4500 spinner for like 65$ last year and love it. I dont use it for saltwater but it is pretty big and solid as gently caress so I don't see why you couldn't. They may have one size bigger too.

Thanks for the tip! I actually saw those at Dicks on Friday and made a note because they seemed solid. They were $60 and I would actually go for the 4000 or smaller since I want to freeline shrimp and toss little mirrordines and the like. The reel seemed very solid and had only 3 bearings so to me it seemed designed to be more rugged than smooth.

I'm actually taking a really close look at the Shimano Stradic FJ, either 3000 or 4000 size. Retail is $135-150, but they are supposedly really nice, better than the older model Sustains and borrowing a lot of tech from the Stella.

The 4000 seems to be one of the most popular inshore reels around, but again I really want great cast distance with lighter lures.

Would you all recommend 3000 or 4000 when the primary use is light suspending twitch baits, 1/8 oz jigs with shad, and light gold spoons?

tesilential
Nov 22, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
The battles do seem like nice reels. Side by side they look and feel much nicer than the SS and the Slammer. Supposedly the latter two are more durable though. I've heard Penn is coming out with a new SS series that looks like the battle but is fully sealed and submersible. Supposed to run 50-80 more than the current lineup. This sounds like something I'd be be very interested in but wont come out until July.

I had a chance to play with the stradic today and drat it felt smooth. Much lighter than I expected and just felt exceptionally balanced. The bail looks a little thin but otherwise feels solid. I can get the 4000 for $150 on eBay and am leaning towards that one. The stradic drag is also freaking insane! 20 pounds of smooth drag in a 10 oz reel. Could probably handle a tarpon with little trouble.

tesilential
Nov 22, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
I'm gonna fish for tarpon this weekend. I am setting up a fish finder rig on one rod and and freeline a bait/lure on another. They are rolling right off the beach and I can probably get within 10-20 yards of them. Will regular swivel-snaps hold up or do I need the mondo size 2 and 3's? They seem huge and conspicuous.

tesilential
Nov 22, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
So my new stradic FJ 4000 arrived and after reading they are shipped dry I attempted to lube it. Turns out that is harder than I thought. Ended up breaking the bottom worm head cover since I didn't discover the top screw that was holding it in. :( :sigh:

I gave up and just put 3 drops of oil on the maintenance port. You've got to be mechanically inclined to get in to the gears. I also discovered that my 10 yo quantum rod does not handle braid well. The guides started to grind as I spooled it.

Any recommendations on a good cheap inshore rod? Basically a cheaper alternative to the St Croix Mojo.

tesilential
Nov 22, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

mastershakeman posted:

Anyone know where to get soundings/depth charts for inland lakes, specifically in the UP of Michigan? I swear I should be able to find these, but other than a real general contour map can't dig up anything.

I just got back from a seminar on skinny water fishing (by the guy who wrote the book) and he recommended Navionics as basically google earth on crack. Allegedly it shows "all the holes" right in the palm of your hands. Many lifetimes worth of knowledge or $35.

tesilential
Nov 22, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Caught my first Snook last week! We must've seen 6 jump clear out of the water chasing mullet. Me and a buddy both landed them on a bone spook jr retrieved as violently as we could.

A couple days later I landed my biggest bass to date in the neighborhood pond on the same spook.

Later that night a buddy and I went back to the pond after some drinks and threw for a bit. He caught a small bass on a small rubber worm. I hooked up a 5-7 ft gator on the spook! Scared the poo poo outta us when a huge wake erupted on the lure. He immediately turned and swam for deeper water taking line fast. I tightened the drag down on the stradic and still I could not turn him. I palmed the spool and the line went slack. Upon retrieving I found he had bent the hook and cracked the spook in several places. That lure is now retired.

I knew there was a gator or two in there but that night we saw at least 4 sets of eyes in that little backyard pond. I've decided I won't be paddle boarding there after all.

Pics to come later.

tesilential
Nov 22, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

leica posted:

So is there a certain technique when using them? Gonna have to try one.

Specifically i used the Super Spook Jr, color = bone, the version with the dressed rear treble hook.

I have the smaller and larger versions but the jr is the easiest to work for me.

Retrieve it so it is violently jerking back and forth on the surface sending water flying everywhere. YouTube tutorials show them slowly chugging it but I have not had success that way. My fishing buddy works it so quick it looks like the lure is cartwheeling across the surface. He gets hit almost every cast.

tesilential
Nov 22, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

leica posted:

Ok, cool. I really don't want to use live bait for awhile, so I need to start a nice lure collection, any other suggestions? I'm basically going to be fishing passes and inter coastal areas for snook and trout.

Mirrodine ;)

"new penny" Gulp shrimp under a popping cork absolutely slay the trout.

Cut ladyfish or pinfish will catch reds, snook, trout, pretty much anything on the flats, including sharks and rays.

Around here people freeline whitebait on the beaches near passes for snook.

tesilential
Nov 22, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

leica posted:

I picked up a Spook Jr and a Mirrodine lure today as well as some penny gulp shrimp. Gonna try a Texas rig and a popping rig with the shrimp and see how that goes. Will give it a shot probably next Mon and Tues on my days off when I take my 4 yr old son fishing, will report back with results, wish me luck!

Good luck! Tie the gulp 3' below the cork and toss it on a 4-6' drop off on the edge of a flat.

Pop every thirty seconds. If there are fish present they will hit it almost immediately IME.

tesilential
Nov 22, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Wait 2 seconds when setting the hook on a frog/topwater. I like to wait til the inhale it and dive for the bottom and my line starts to get tight.

tesilential
Nov 22, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

tesilential posted:

Wait 2 seconds when setting the hook on a frog/topwater. I like to wait til the inhale it and dive for the bottom and my line starts to get tight.

Lol I can't even take my own advice.

Yesterday walked a couple houses down to the local pond at 8:20pm. Threw a bone spook jr and within 10 casts had a nice largemouth launch out of the water when he missed it. Kept the speed up and he came back around and ate it. Brought him with hardly any fight. Turns out he was hooked with the front hook on the outside of the lip and the rear hook was hooking him under the gill. I think the pain cause him to not fight. When I got the hook off and lip gripped him he started fighting which caused me to drop him back in before I could snap a good pic.

I stayed another 15 minutes and had 3 more big hits but each time I missed. Twice I yanked too soon and the spook went flying. The last time I remembered to wait but I had cast so far that by the time I got the line tight and set the hook it was gone.

I've been getting the hits within the first 3 seconds of the lure hitting the water.

tesilential
Nov 22, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Drunk Tomato posted:

Anyway, I have a stupid question. Would it be a waste of time to try fishing in my neighborhood retention pond area? It's pretty small, and I dunno if there would be any fish there...

Definitely hit those ponds! I started really fishing in May and so far my best success has been ponds. Sure I caught a snook after work one day. I also enjoyed snagging a couple small lesser amber jacks and mangrove snapper yesterday after several hours of searing sun. But so far, it can't top walking 100 yards from my door step around 7:20pm this afternoon, and landing 3 largemouth in 40 minutes and walking home. The first actually spit the hook on his second jump because I loosened the drag on my 4000 stradic FJ (overkill for freshwater) to play with him. Afterwards I landed a 4 lber about 15 ft in front of me, my closest bass catch yet! The other two were smaller and caught on the same new Zara Spoon jr in "shiny mullet" color (black top, silver mid, white belly)

The odd thing is I've seem to catch on to the topwater game before sub surface game. I've only caught 1 bass on a rubber worm and probably 20 on a spook. I really need to develop my soft bait game in order to successfully target redfish. I plan on tying on a Yamamoto stick work Texas style and hitting the pond everyday after work for a few minutes. Gotta practice in freshwater to be ready for the salt.

I'm lucky to have a pond so close. It's actually easier for me go to the pond and fish than to find a place to cast with practice weights.

Edit: Fished Naples, FL Pier yesterday. Caught a few fish as I mentioned above, but was utterly unprepared for pier fishing as I normally fish the flats. I saw TONS of large snook cruising the flats and circling the pier pilings.

I started off with lures, trying a white Spro bucktail with a white grub curly tail teaser with some procure on it. Nothing. Switched to a silver spoon because the bait (green backs and tiny minnows which the green backs were eating) were PLENTIFUL, I'm thinking in the billions. All day long the bait completely covered the pier and surrounding beach. Nothing took the spoon. Tried a mirrodine and a glow gulp shrimp. The occasional snook or mango would check it out when I worked it by, but none made the slightest move towards it (water was crystal clear, from the pier everything was visible.

EDIT 2: in addition to the large amounts of bait around, being on a 10"ft high pier definitely doesn't help the presentation and action of using lures. It was impossible to use a top water correctly, and nothing but a slow retrieve on the bucktail could get me close to the bottom.

I noticed some old timers limiting out on barely slot size mangrove snapper. All were using small minnow bait or small green backs. I grew tired of not catching when I could so plainly see small mangrove snapper, larger snapper, small medium and large snook, sheephead all over the pilings picking on barnacles and what could have been schoolie reds running all over the flats and 3 ft deep water surrounding the pilings I was fishing, so for the first time ever, I tied on a Sabiki.

I was not fully prepared for what happened next. After dropping the line, I pulled up 5 green backs, 2 of which flipped off. Having only a single rod and tackle, I quickly cut off the sabiki, tied on a 2/0 circle hook (had to do this like 5 times, next time will use 2 rods) and sent a green back straight down a piling. Game changer. Immediately 8 or 10 mangos schooled up on it and circled. My bait puts up a valiant effort to escape but his frantic movement only entices them. I saw one come in for the kill. Took a bite out of him but he was still alive. The game fish are picky because there is so much bait present, think national geographic bait balls. his tenacity is off putting and he is left alone momentarily. A minute later I pull up a 10" mango. By this time my other 2 green backs are dead. Long story short the mango bite slowed down at 10am but a couple small amber jacks feasted on green back filets. I was never prepared with a green back when the snook were around and they seemed incredibly spooky and finicky. They wouldn't run away but they seemed to differentiate between fisherman's greenback and wild greenback. None of the 50 or so guys on the pier caught any of the 100's of snook around it.

This post ended up much longer than I anticipated. I will post a few pics when I get to a PC. afraid if I post from my phone I could break the tables and get a probation.

tesilential fucked around with this message at 06:04 on Aug 18, 2012

tesilential
Nov 22, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Been doing a lot of fishing either wading the flats or hoping on the paddle board and fishing mangroves and flats of distant islands.

Got a few snook, one being a nice hog caught wading. Last week pulled 5 redfish out the mangroves after work on life shrimp under a popping cork.

Just yesterday caught my first red ever on artificial, a weedless jig with a gulp twitch bait. At 25" and 8# this is my best red. Caught him tailing in 8" water full of grass. The 5th cast got on the right side of him and he took it readily.

Those are a few pics. Top fish was yesterday. Most were within the past month. The fishing is just now starting to improve as the nights are now mid 70's instead if 80's and it's not so drat hot. More to come soon.

P.s. If I broke the tables let me know, I'm on an iPhone and can't tell the true size of the photos. Don't want another probation.

tesilential fucked around with this message at 20:52 on Sep 27, 2012

tesilential
Nov 22, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Greenies are in my area and a ton of small black tips and bonnet heads followed them in. Some as big as 6 ft could be seen at the deeper edge of the cut. Threw green backs and shrimps under a popping cork and got trash: short trout, big needlefish. Buddy put a needlefish under a bobber and chucked it 7 feet in front of where we were wading. A shark took off with it within seconds and made his drag scream. We backed away and he ended up getting cut off, he had 40# flouro. I managed a 25"ish snook on a tiny green back as the tide started coming in. he put up a hell of a fight, no doubt inspired by the ton of sharks everywhere.

I bought some 18" 30lb test wire leaders and 5/0 Owner live bait J hooks to be better prepared. Stopped by today and just got a big needlefish on a skitterwalk. Tide was incredibly low yet still saw a couple 3 ft sharks cruising the edge of a grass flat.

tesilential fucked around with this message at 04:01 on Oct 11, 2012

tesilential
Nov 22, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
I've been fishing from the SUP and doing pretty well on redfish. Sadly they left the beautiful sandy beach flats and are now posted up in the gator filled mangroves. Tis the life of a fisherman.

tesilential
Nov 22, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Reel men go wherever the wind takes them.

<desperately tries to develop rudder for paddle board>

tesilential
Nov 22, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Rythe posted:

lol guess I need to find a skirt to go with my board shorts then :). Do you fish off a paddle board? If so that is pretty bad rear end and have never seen that before, would be kind of neat if that was possible.

Oh it's definitely possible ;). Ive heard I'm not the only one but never seen anyone here in Tampa Bay do it..

Lately been wading since I can do it after work.

I posted some more pics on the bottom of the last page. I have some new ones I'll post soon

tesilential
Nov 22, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
I've only held the new Quantum Smoke reels but IIRC they were pretty smooth, all metal and heavy. Kinda like a more refined Penn battle. Don't like the look at all to be honest. Allow me to recommend a Shimano Stradic FJ. So sweet i bought 2. <$150 on ebay

tesilential
Nov 22, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

coyo7e posted:

You have much to learn about taking pictures of the fish you catch - the proper stance is "arms fully extended toward camera, so the fish looks huge and you look tiny". ;)

That is a surefire way to show other fisherman you are an amateur ;). When judging pictures, we anglers only give credit to pictures where the fisherman has his elbows bent, therefore we know it's the true size. I do take a pic with my arms out on some nice fish, just to show to non-anglers, but when I post on fishing websites or show other anglers I show the real photo, usually holding the fish almost to my body, like the poster in question.

Hilariously I have a picture with my ex holding a 7" speckled trout so far in front of her that it appears to be larger than her. The mirrodine on it's lip gives away it's true size ;)

tesilential
Nov 22, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Sounds like you two had a great time. I like your approach to teaching her to fish, let her discover it at her own pace.

Just cut the worm in half and put it on the hook. I do this sometimes with shrimp of small fish are bait stealing. Smaller bait and smaller hooks will get those smaller fish.

tesilential fucked around with this message at 04:24 on Apr 29, 2013

tesilential
Nov 22, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
I fish from a SUP, not a yak but I can say my buddies 15' prowler has never been too much boat for the narrow and shallow creeks we fish often. the biggest negative about the big yaks is their weight imo.

tesilential
Nov 22, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
We all use spinning reels for inshore saltwater action here, but my buddy told me he used casting rods for bass because it's a lot easier to flip under docks.

tesilential
Nov 22, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Rythe posted:

I built my stake out pole for shallow water fishing and I use a drift sock for the most part in deep waters and I have been pretty happy with that set up.

What size drift sock are you using? I really really need one for my paddle board. Wind blows me three or four times faster than my kayak buddies. I also don't know how to attach it...if I tie it to the rear leash plug I will have no quick way of disconnecting it if it gets hung up. Or am I overthinking this? I've never used a drift sock and am unfamiliar with the actual risk associated with them versus a traditional anchor.

Someone mentioned not being able to find milk crates, The Container Store has them for :10bux: They are much stronger than the alternatives from target or Walmart. Not everyone needs them to be durable but on my SUP everything, literally everything, is attached to the milk crate and if it broke I'd be doomed.

tesilential fucked around with this message at 03:36 on Jun 18, 2013

tesilential
Nov 22, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

fps_bill posted:

Can anyone recommend a better knot. I lost a decent catfish Sunday because my clinch knot decided to slip and come apart.

You didn't cinch it down properly. The knot will break before slipping if you make sure there are no gaps between the coils.

I love tying knots almost as much as catching fish :)

I use the crazy Alberto exclusively for braid to leader connections.

I use the canoe man's loop knot as my go to for basically EVERY terminal knot (lure, bait hook, etc). Do yourself a favor and google it. It's THE easiest and quickest tying fishing knot there is! And with a little practice you can tie it so nice you don't need to trim the tag end.

Loop knots also give much better action to your lure than a clinch or palomar which make it move more stiffly. The trade off is loop knots are generally weaker. That's where the trilene knot comes in. Stronger than the canoe man's loop but much better presentation than the clinch and palomar. It's what I tie when I leave the house if I expect big fish or the possibility of getting hung up on structure. On the water tho it's the canoe man's loop all the way.

I only use a palomar or clinch knot when tying on a bobber or weight where the action doesn't matter.

tesilential
Nov 22, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Drunkboxer posted:

I finally found time to get my license renewed and am planning on going fishing off a jetty this sunday. I'm planning on targeting spanish mackerals mostly, but will probably do some bottom fishing as well.

Any advice for jetty fishing? I only have saltwater experience fishing in the intracoastal off a dock and a little bit of surf fishing.

Where will you be fishing?

General jetty advice would be to be on the jetty before sun comes up, fish love to come up close before daybreak and at sunset. Live bait works best but DOA shrimp and paddle tails can produce as well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tesilential
Nov 22, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Drunkboxer posted:

I was going to try to hit the Surfside Beach jetty in Freeport TX. I wasn't planning on messing with live bait, since it'd be one more thing I'd have to carry. I was planning on dead shrimp or cut bait on the bottom, then mirrolures or some heavy spoons on top with my spinning gear. I have some paddle tails that I could try, but I thought mackerel liked to hit shiny things.

Duh, totally ignored the part about mackerel. They hunt by day so I would get there at daybreak and fish where you see birds or bait. Silver spoons or anything will work. IME they only hit fast moving lures. I've caught them when I was just reeling hard and yanking hard (like setting the hook during the entire retrieve) while trying to snag bait.

If I were specifically targeting Macks I would look for the birds first and foremost. If you still aren't getting hit a topwater may help draw strikes. Never fished bait for macks.

Personally I'd still get there really early and toss a paddle tail down the length of the jetty and retrieve along the rocks. Vary from just off the bottom-slow to steady and quick. May surprise yourself with flounder or reds.