Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

tesilential
Nov 22, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Knots. The first thing to learn as a newbie is knots. Before I make my first cast of the day I’ve already tied a half dozen knots. Your lure may well fling off on your first cast if your knot is suspect. Learn the “canoe man’s loop knot” and you can tie on any hook or lure.

To spool a spinner is trivial, you literally reel exactly as you would when bringing in a lure or fish. The trick is the Knot. Google the “arbor knot” and practice it a couple times. Voila, now you how to spool a reel. Have a friend with a pencil and rag hold the spool of line and apply slight pressure as you turn the handle and spool the reel up.

Fill it 80-85% with mono, a little more with braid. Don’t spool 100% as when you start fishing, your line will come onto the reel looser after cast than it did when you first spoils. This excess line tends to shoot off on subsequent casts and make a mess as others have mentioned. That being said don’t fill it less than 70% as the line slapping against the spool lip will reduce your casting distance. Personally, I toss my line and respool once my spool gets down to about 60% full.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU