Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

causticBeet posted:

So what do you do with a gator on the chance you actually bring it in? Call animal control? It would suck to have to cut the line and leave a lure in its mouth.

I was fishing in the keys in a deep trench of a lagoon at Bahia Honda and a huge Eagle Ray came up and swallowed my lure just as I was bringing it up the trench, jumping out of the water soaking me and my wife and then hauling rear end out of the lagoon. I was pretty much in shock and didn't know what to do, it was pulling the line out so fast I thought it was going to spool. A bunch of fisherman came over that saw what happened and offered to cut the line, I remember thinking I didn't want to do that but didn't seem to have a choice when the knot let go thank god. Win/win for me and the Ray, sucks that he had a lure in him, but much better than a shitload of line behind it.

tesilential posted:

Caught my first Snook last week! We must've seen 6 jump clear out of the water chasing mullet. Me and a buddy both landed them on a bone spook jr retrieved as violently as we could.

What are these "spooks" you speak of? I've been using D.O.A shrimp and greenback lures and haven't caught a drat thing, only a few hits. I'm at my wits end with lures and getting ready to go to live bait again, I wish I could find a consistent lure for catching snook and sea trout.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

So is there a certain technique when using them? Gonna have to try one.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Ok, cool. I really don't want to use live bait for awhile, so I need to start a nice lure collection, any other suggestions? I'm basically going to be fishing passes and inter coastal areas for snook and trout.

Applebees Appetizer fucked around with this message at 05:18 on Aug 2, 2012

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

I picked up a Spook Jr and a Mirrodine lure today as well as some penny gulp shrimp. Gonna try a Texas rig and a popping rig with the shrimp and see how that goes. Will give it a shot probably next Mon and Tues on my days off when I take my 4 yr old son fishing, will report back with results, wish me luck!