Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Armed Neutrality
May 8, 2006

BUY MORE CRABS

Obsoletely Fabulous posted:

I've watched a few youtube videos on perch cleaning, specifically https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hzq_KFYHCkA and https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rw5nJdcs9oA. It seems pretty easy.

Anyone have any suggestions on how to learn to clean fish or is youtube the best option? No one I know seems to know how to do it except for a guy who lives a few hours away.

Yeah, that YouTube video is pretty much how to do it, there isn't that much to it, really. Your filets will be quite a bit uglier and you'll leave more meat on the bone at first, but you'll get the hang of it. I like the skin so I generally scale the fish which is a tremendous, messy pain in the rear end.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Armed Neutrality
May 8, 2006

BUY MORE CRABS

Unperson_47 posted:

To the fly fisherman out there:

Are the really lightweight swivels/snaps marketed for fly use actually viable? I hate having to retie flies, widdling down my leader to the point of hindering my casting. This leads to me having a longer leader than I can manage really so that's self-defeating. A tippet seems to be more trouble (and one more knot) than it's worth. Then again, I suck at fly fishing right now. :shrug:

For some extreme fly tying, check out Graham Owen.

Here in Europe tiny little metal rings are pretty common at the end of a leader, so small they actually float. I make my own furled leaders and use them at the end of those.

Armed Neutrality
May 8, 2006

BUY MORE CRABS
Just got back from my annual fly fishing trip, this time into the Tirol, in Austria. The weather was absolute poo poo and the river, Mur, was unfishable the first day. We got snowed on during the last two august fishing trips, so we're used to lovely weather. We got in late in the afternoon, went for a run along the river, ate some good food, drank some beer, and woke up the next day ready to fish.

We hiked up to a mountain lake that also ended up being so high that there were only two places around the entire lake that were fishable, and even then only with a roll cast. Luckily, these two spots, on either side of an incoming river, were phenomenal. We saw tons of hungry char at our feet, trout a little further out, and grayling at the limits of my roll cast. The fish were downright gorgeous. I ended up landing about 15 fish in this one spot.

[

The fish were small but healthy and vibrant, and I did catch one 14 inch grayling with nice shoulders though. These were the first grayling I'd ever caught so I was thrilled.

We walked back down, at some more awesome cheap food, and started fishing the river the next day, which was still high and fast, but clear and fishable in places.

Since we'd caught plenty of smaller fish all morning on the river, I decided to try my luck with a big streamer in this pool. I brought an 8 weight with a sinking tip for the hell of it, and it turned out to be very useful here because there was no way I was getting anywhere near the base of the waterfall with my 6 or 4 weight floating lines, there was a downright gale coming from the force of the waterfall.

I didn't catch any big ones here, but a surprising amount of small fish attacked my big streamer, including my first typical rainbow of the trip, and a smaller trout with a missing dorsal fin.

[

In short, it was a great trip, despite the awful weather, we're going back next year in the hopes of good weather, and we'll try to bring along some float tubes for the mountain lake.

Armed Neutrality
May 8, 2006

BUY MORE CRABS
You're really weird.

There are some fly fisherman who clip their hooks and fish for the strike. But you're not going to catch a fish without hurting it somehow. Theoretically you could fish with a gorge, which is just a stick upon which you'd put some bait, let the fish swallow it, haul it in, and do whatever it is you want to do to/with the fish, but it the end that's probably worse than hook so I really don't know how to help you. I minimize pain by using small, barbless hooks while fly fishing, but there's no way to really eliminate it. Again, you're weird. :)

Armed Neutrality fucked around with this message at 15:03 on Mar 25, 2013

Armed Neutrality
May 8, 2006

BUY MORE CRABS

Koivunen posted:

Me (in red) and my friend portaged her canoe to a creek then rowed for about an hour until we came to a totally secluded lake. We rowed around the lake until we found a place to access the land to pitch our campsite.

We ended up catching thirteen northerns and keeping six of them. The lake was pretty shallow and weedy so a lot of our time was spent reeling the canoe to whatever we were stuck on to yank the lure up, but the fish were biting so it was good fun. We were out for about nine hours before the weather turned bad.

We couldn't keep a campfire that night so we ended up cleaning the fish that night and frying them the next day after we returned to her place. Yummy.

Whenever we fish we seem to always come across lakes that have nothing but northerns. We heard that if you gut the fish and wrap it in tinfoil then stick them in the coals for a while, the y-bones will soften up enough that you can eat them and not notice, but we tried it once and it didn't work. We've just been frying them and spitting out the bones. Does anyone have any tips for preparing bony fish? I know how to fillet them to take out the y-bones but the fish we catch are small and you would lose most of the meat so it's more worth it to just spit out the bones and save the meat.

Oh god this is my favorite type of fishing. It's how I learned as a boy fishing like this with my Dad in Maine as a boy. Shallow lakes, canoes, tea colored water full of perch and pike...I loved it so much, that a year or two ago I went to Sweden with my wife and daughter to capture the feeling and did it ever. (Sweden looks like Maine! Complete with Moose!)

Here is a 4 minute video of my second annual fly fishing trip to Austria, someone lent me a GoPro so I poorly filmed stuff in the wrong format for a bit, searched in vain for appropriate music, and then said gently caress it and just grabbed some poo poo, and threw some stuff together because my fishing buddy was getting impatient. After getting rained out last year, and snowed on the two years before that, we deserved some good weather and goddammit we got it.

Armed Neutrality
May 8, 2006

BUY MORE CRABS

Unperson_47 posted:

I exclusively tie the Palomar Knot just because it's so drat easy to tie.

I loved the palomar knot until I started fly fishing exclusively, it's just impossible to put the loop through the eyes of tiny flies..:(

Armed Neutrality
May 8, 2006

BUY MORE CRABS

DocMcgillicuddy posted:

Had a killer day doing creek fishing for rainbows. So much so that I ordered a 4 weight setup and am praying it arrives before next weekend. Gonna be my first non beginner fly setup. Really pumped!

My first non beginner fly rod was an 8'6" 4 wt. Sage that's still my favorite rod more than 10 years later. :)

Armed Neutrality
May 8, 2006

BUY MORE CRABS

DocMcgillicuddy posted:

Just got to play with the new redington vapen 5 weight with the golf grip as the rep was kind enough to bring a demo model to my office. Definitely going to be replacing my current 5 weight. It feels absolutely incredible!

I want to try it but goddamn that red grip, I like cork and hate golf. Did you get your hands on a butterstick? And what kind of office do you work in where fly rod reps bring you poo poo to try?

Armed Neutrality
May 8, 2006

BUY MORE CRABS

Don't mind us, we're just talking about real, skill based fishing. :smug:

Armed Neutrality
May 8, 2006

BUY MORE CRABS

DoctaFun posted:

That looks awesome. I've never done much canoeing(except for this weekend), but that would be amazing. I might try to convince one of my friends to go on a trip like that.

I had a little mini fishing trip this weekend. I went down to SE Minnesota to visit my girlfriend's family, but spent most of the time fishing. Took out a 16' aluminum canoe to the backwaters of the Mississippi River with my girlfriend's dad and did some panfishing. Caught a few bass and a lot of nice sunfish, probably could have kept a dozen in the 8-9" range. I also caught a pretty big dogfish which was fun, the thing was just ROLLING next to the canoe, like an alligator or something.

On the way back from canoeing I asked him if there was any trout in the creek that runs through the front of their property(they have a bunch of land in the bluffs) and he said, 'Oh yeah, lots of browns and some brookies."

I took a half hour that evening and brought my ultralite. I only had one little spinner that looked like a trout might like it so I tied it on and gave it a whirl. I had no idea what I was doing, and the creek was tough to fish, but I hooked into this one almost immediately!

I had a few other hits, but they didn't take it. Next time I"m down there I'm going to bring some worms, because there were TONS in that creek. Pretty cool to walk out the front door about a .5 mile to a creek loaded with these guys! I was told this was big enough to keep if I wanted to eat it, but I just like to catch em, these are beautiful! I pinched the barbs on my hooks because I didn't want to hurt any of these little guys. That creek was awesome though, it's spring fed so it's crystal clear and really cold. How neat is that?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hm3JodBR-vs

That's pretty neat!

I think it's awesome that you're pinching your barbs and releasing lots of fish, but if your goal is releasing them unharmed, I'd stay away from worms. They swallow natural baits much deeper, and even without barbs, the larger hooks combined with live baits can easily cause fatal damage. Fly fishing is great for catching and releasing fish, especially the small ones.

Armed Neutrality
May 8, 2006

BUY MORE CRABS

Pham Nuwen posted:

I ran off to the nearest reservoir tonight to try out the new gear. I'm total poo poo at casting still, but from the shore I caught two little 4-5" bass in about an hour. The first was on a Woolly Bugger, then another on a Hare's Ear nymph. Casting that #10 Woolly Bugger was a bitch, especially with the wind... I got a bit spooked by that big hook whipping around past my head.

To the fly fishing guys: how do you get the line/lure in and out of the water? I string the leader and line out the tip, end up with 6' of leader and a foot or two of line hanging out the end. Tie on a fly and hold the rod up high to keep the fly off the ground. The videos I've seen all seem to start with a bunch of line out lying on the water, but what's the best way to get it out there, especially on still water?

Practice in a field first too, with a piece of yarn at the end of your tippet. If you're fishing stillwaters, especially with choppy or rocky shores, consider using a stripping basket around your waist, homemade or otherwise, to control your line, makes it much easier.

Armed Neutrality
May 8, 2006

BUY MORE CRABS
The cool thing about pike too is that they're determined and fearless. If one misses a strike, he'll probably try again immediately. If he follows the lure to the boat, jig it or do some figure 8s for a bit and they might grab it. They'll strike inches from a boat or dock.

Armed Neutrality
May 8, 2006

BUY MORE CRABS
A few years ago I was hooping for lobster in SoCal, and one night I pulled up a 2 foot shark and promptly dropped him in my lap. It was better than the time I impaled my arm on a sculpin though.

Armed Neutrality
May 8, 2006

BUY MORE CRABS
I've been tying flies every night, and I'll be building a few rods too. I'm restocking my boxes with nymphs and streamers, and making a ton of chernobyl ants for a friend who's headed to New Zealand. I'm also determined to get some more practice in and tie nicer dries too.

Armed Neutrality
May 8, 2006

BUY MORE CRABS
Fishing with the intention to catch and release is illegal in Switzerland. (Also Germany, basically).

Fortunately, you can release fish for ecological reasons, and since no one can tell that you "intend" to release fish, I release every wild trout I catch. Hatchery trout and eel I eat.

While I'm an ardent C&R supporter, I can't say I don't see the point the animal rights people make. I'm putting a hook in a fishes' mouth, causing high levels of stress, and then putting it back where there's a chance it will die that increases greatly based on the length of the fight and water temp, all purely for my own amusement. I'd be lying if I said I don't feel a bit guilty about it when I really think about it. Plus a ton of people are really lovely at C&R.

That said I'm REALLY looking forward to my 3 week work sabbatical in Montana this summer, where I'll do nothing but catch and release fish, tie flies, hang out with some rod builders, and get acquainted with some bourbons and local microbrews.

Armed Neutrality fucked around with this message at 00:05 on Feb 16, 2014

Armed Neutrality
May 8, 2006

BUY MORE CRABS

Some Other Guy posted:

God drat am I proud to be an American

edit: According to what I read you're supposed to instantly kill anything you catch? That doesn't make any rational or ethical sense to me. Why not just sack up and ban fishing altogether? I think they're just guilty about the whole accepting gold from the nazis/being nazis thing.

You're supposed to kill any targeted species of legal size provided they're the minimum length and not out of season. The killing also has to be done a certain way, a knock on the head followed by immediate gutting or slitting the artery below the gills. Fortunately there's more than enough wiggle room within the parameters of the law, which is great because there are some mindblowingly gorgeous places to fish here. Most fly fishermen think the way I do, fortunately once a group of us get together and lease the rights to a section of river we can establish fly fishing only sections, as well as set our own size limits to the point where most fish aren't allowed to be kept.

Armed Neutrality
May 8, 2006

BUY MORE CRABS
I left work early today to go fishing, and ended up catching my PB trout, right around 20 inches. I used a 5 weight glass rod, and a gold ribbed hare's ear I tied myself. Awesome day.

Armed Neutrality
May 8, 2006

BUY MORE CRABS
I'm heading to Montana, SoCal, and Texas this summer mostly to fish, and I'm going to try for gar with a fly rod with the rope method. I think it has to be the core of a nylon rope from what I've read, it tangles and catches easily apparently.

Armed Neutrality
May 8, 2006

BUY MORE CRABS
We didn't have gar but I needlessly killed tons of poo poo as a boy. Gigged frogs, shot birds with bb guns...it's what you do when you know better that counts. ;)

Armed Neutrality
May 8, 2006

BUY MORE CRABS
Nice! There's also an instagrammy app solely for fly tying, flyflasher.

Armed Neutrality
May 8, 2006

BUY MORE CRABS

HenryJLittlefinger posted:

Largemouth or spotted. Where?

Here's a largemouth I caught on a red, black, and white wooly bugger.

The water is finally warming up.

Nice Pflueger!

Armed Neutrality fucked around with this message at 06:29 on Apr 11, 2014

Armed Neutrality
May 8, 2006

BUY MORE CRABS
Having one with a little history is even better. They're a little hard to come by here in Europe, otherwise I'd have a few beat up vintage ones for my older glass rods by now. :)

Armed Neutrality
May 8, 2006

BUY MORE CRABS
The modulus of the graphite or the brand of the rod doesn't really mean much. One person's dream rod is another person's broomstick, it all depends on casting style and preference.

I have an old sage 4 weight VPS that I love, an 8 RPLX that I like, a 6 FLI I don't like too much.

What I love lately are the new glass rods. I've been using an Epic 8 foot 5 weight all season, and am getting a custom 6 weight 8'6" model built in time for Montana this summer. Awesome rods, but pricy.

Armed Neutrality
May 8, 2006

BUY MORE CRABS

fps_bill posted:

Every time I watch a river runs through it I get all stiff peter about learning to fly fish. I can cast and stuff, just can't catch anything. Maybe this will be the year.

Flyfishing is the best thing ever :) As far as catching stuff, practice practice practice. I've found that focusing on a specific body of water helps too, after a few seasons fishing the same section of my home river, my fishing improved drastically. I know where the fish are, when the hatches go off, etc.

Armed Neutrality
May 8, 2006

BUY MORE CRABS

Cimber posted:

I saw guys doing fly fishing in streams when I was growing up in NH, but never got any interest in it. It looks really hard however.

Don't be intimidated by it! A half hour of casting practice will get you enough distance and accuracy to put you on fish, especially if you target more eager species like panfish. Half hour to learn, lifetime to master. One of the things I like most as opposed to conventional fishing is that even if I'm not catching a thing, I'm perfectly happy just to cast.

I was always a little intimidated by the whole thing, until I bought my first rod in my early 20's and I haven't looked back since. I do something fly fishing related every day, be it fishing, flytying, rodbuilding, leader making, casting, or writing blog posts about those things. I'm obsessed. :)

Armed Neutrality
May 8, 2006

BUY MORE CRABS

Some Other Guy posted:

poo poo look at inland Europe, those fuckers think catching a drat carp is the grandest of all sports.

Hey I live in inland Europe and I'm a trout guy. That said, fly fishing for carp in the US is blowing up right now, the poor man's bonefish.

Armed Neutrality
May 8, 2006

BUY MORE CRABS
I have an Olympus Tough 3000 point and shoot I keep in my vest, or I'll carry a GoPro on a mount on my net.

Also the Litespeed owns. I'm ordering a Konic and extra spool for my in-progress 6 weight.

Armed Neutrality
May 8, 2006

BUY MORE CRABS

tesilential posted:

For your 6 wt, why not pay an extra :10bux: and make the jump from cheap cast reels up to fully machined pieces? This would be way sweeter: http://www.sierratradingpost.com/lamson-velocity-reel-v2~p~75749/?filterString=fishing-reels~d~188%2F&colorFamily=31

I received mine on the 5th business day after ordering from STP. *Full disclaimer* I still haven't actually fished my reel but I have spent many minutes fondling it ;)

I actually saw that reel on STP and wanted to order but I need to find a spare spool for it too. I love the hard alox coating myself. :)

Armed Neutrality
May 8, 2006

BUY MORE CRABS
I've never broken a fly rod but when they cost 500+$ then I like the security of an unlimited warranty. You never know!

Armed Neutrality
May 8, 2006

BUY MORE CRABS
First Barbel on the fly..,

Armed Neutrality
May 8, 2006

BUY MORE CRABS

Kid Golbez posted:

Most underrated table fish of all time! I love those fresh on the grill.

Edit: The 'cuda that is, everyone knows groupers are tasty.

Large barracuda are a huge risk for ciguatera poisoning.

Armed Neutrality
May 8, 2006

BUY MORE CRABS
My 6 weight setup for Montana (and Texas):

Goddamn am I excited.

Armed Neutrality
May 8, 2006

BUY MORE CRABS
There's a legally required way to kill fish here in Switzerland..stun with a blow to the head, and immediately sever the artery below the gills or gut the fish.

Armed Neutrality
May 8, 2006

BUY MORE CRABS

Pham Nuwen posted:

I'm going camping next week near the Stanislaus river, a pretty fast-moving mountain river. I've never fished moving water before. Can someone give basic recommendations for fly fishing a California mountain stream in September? I'm going to spend the next week reading up on how to fly fish in a river in general.

I've never fished that river, and there's obviously a ton more to it, but basically, look for breaks in the current. Especially in fast moving water. Pools, behind boulders, eddies, current breaks..all are attractive to trout. Fast, mountain streams offer the advantage that fish don't have much time to react when they see something coming, so they tend to be much less picky about imitations and presentation. Get something visible and fluffy so it floats well in the rougher water, like a royal wulff or a stimulator, and make sure to have floatant because the fly will get waterlogged quickly, especially after a fish or two. Wade carefully, those mountain streams can have really uneven bottoms and shifting rocks.

Armed Neutrality
May 8, 2006

BUY MORE CRABS

Pham Nuwen posted:

Ok, fly fishing in the Bay Area probably isn't such a sure bet. I'm planning to make some trips to further-away rivers occasionally, but in the meantime places like the Dunbarton pier would be a neat thing to try.

I'm guessing a freshwater fly rod will be pretty useless on a pier for instance, but there are plenty of salt and freshwater non-stream spots around. Is there a cheap-ish rod and reel combo that might do me for both? poo poo I haven't done anything but fly fishing since I was about 14, somebody tell me what equipment I can use to catch some fish in our deep lakes and ocean piers/shores?

When I lived in LA, I fished places like the owens river for trout with a 4/5 weight, and fished the surf with an 8 weight and sinking line for surf perch, corbina, halibut, leopard sharks, all kinds of poo poo.

Armed Neutrality
May 8, 2006

BUY MORE CRABS

Benny the Snake posted:

What's the name of the line that you string the fish after you caught them? The one you run through their gills, I think.

Stringer :)

Armed Neutrality
May 8, 2006

BUY MORE CRABS
Common Carp are awesome, and fun as hell to catch on a fly rod. Killing them for the heck of it is dumb, they don't pose much of an issue.

I went out for trout today, and caught a a 2 foot Barbel. It took a streamer, surprisingly.

Armed Neutrality
May 8, 2006

BUY MORE CRABS

LingcodKilla posted:

Brit spotted.

How dare you sir.

(American living in Europe)

CnR carp fly fishing is exploding in the US. I spent 3 weeks fly fishing in Montana last summer and spent more time than I should admit trying to catch carp.

Armed Neutrality
May 8, 2006

BUY MORE CRABS
I hate live bait, and for C&R fishing I think it's particularly questionable, but I'm a snobby flyfisherman. I see enough dead 6 inch trout thanks to people who fish for them with worms.

I always had a ton of luck catching bass on a Mepps comet and vibrax minnows back when I lived in the northeastern US.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Armed Neutrality
May 8, 2006

BUY MORE CRABS
I scaled and filleted tons of smaller bluegill as a kid, as do countless of other people. The whole point of filleting them is so you don't deal with the bones.