Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.

Ur Getting Fatter posted:

I feel like the ATV's colour output is not the best. Everything looks a but washed out, like if the color saturation was too low. Everything else I play through the TV looks great. Is there any way to calibrate the ATV at all?

Try changing hdmi settings to RBG high or low

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

frumpsnake
Jan 30, 2001

The sad part is, he wasn't always evil.
Yeah, it sounds like your TV is expecting 0-255 but your ATV is outputting 16-235.

Does it look like the third example here?

Puddin
Apr 9, 2004
Leave it to Brak
I'm looking at getting an ATV2 for XBMC (being a little hard to find however, all I can find are ATV3's) to replace my old xbox running XBMC. I know there's no jailbreak in sight for the ATV3.

Having no other Apple products, is there any other streaming software that will allow me to simply stream media from my pc?

EC
Jul 10, 2001

The Legend
If you have an iOS device, you can use AirVideo. There's a server application that you install on your PC, then the app on your iPhone/iPad connects to that and streams videos. You can then AirPlay that to the ATV, assuming it's a recent iOS device.

ZShakespeare
Jul 20, 2003

The devil can cite Scripture for his purpose!

Puddin posted:

I'm looking at getting an ATV2 for XBMC (being a little hard to find however, all I can find are ATV3's) to replace my old xbox running XBMC. I know there's no jailbreak in sight for the ATV3.

Having no other Apple products, is there any other streaming software that will allow me to simply stream media from my pc?

Your only real option is to pre–convert your videos using something like handbrake and then stream them from iTunes. All the on–the–fly streaming software I've seen is for OSX, or requires an iOS device as a go between.

Devian666
Aug 20, 2008

Take some advice Chris.

Fun Shoe

EC posted:

If you have an iOS device, you can use AirVideo. There's a server application that you install on your PC, then the app on your iPhone/iPad connects to that and streams videos. You can then AirPlay that to the ATV, assuming it's a recent iOS device.

I only just set up my ATV yesterday. AirPlay via airvideo is a good option and saves needing to pre convert media.

One thing I've noticed is that the caching of streams works really well. I was watching a podcast and was starting a YouTube video on my iPad but I had accidentally left AirPlay on. The video played in place of the podcast. I watched that the the ATV allowed resume and had still retained the 80% of the video that had been cached. After I noticed that I check out a few other things I'd been watching and they were still fully cached. Seems like a step up in terms of streaming.

The only problem I see is that it'll probably encourage me to get an iPad 3 for mirroring.

randyest
Sep 1, 2004

by R. Guyovich

Devian666 posted:

I only just set up my ATV yesterday. AirPlay via airvideo is a good option and saves needing to pre convert media.

One thing I've noticed is that the caching of streams works really well. I was watching a podcast and was starting a YouTube video on my iPad but I had accidentally left AirPlay on. The video played in place of the podcast. I watched that the the ATV allowed resume and had still retained the 80% of the video that had been cached. After I noticed that I check out a few other things I'd been watching and they were still fully cached. Seems like a step up in terms of streaming.

The only problem I see is that it'll probably encourage me to get an iPad 3 for mirroring.
Is there a difference between mirroring from a 3 versus a 2? I have a 3 and I think my wife's 2 looks the same mirroring, if i recall correctly. It doesn't do 2048x1456 or anything, at least not on my ATV3/television.

Devian666
Aug 20, 2008

Take some advice Chris.

Fun Shoe
I have an iPad 1 so no mirroring. I'd just go to an iPad 3 for the better hardware.

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no

Puddin posted:

Plex (with a jailbroken ATV).

Puddin
Apr 9, 2004
Leave it to Brak

WithoutTheFezOn posted:

Plex (with a jailbroken ATV).

If I were to get an ATV2, I'd be going XBMC on it. I guess I'm just wondering if there's any programs that will stream to an ATV3 to tide me over until (hopefully) JB for the 3 comes out and XBMC is ported to that.

mattdev
Sep 30, 2004

Gentlemen of taste, refinement, luxury.

Women want us, men want to be us.
Anyone here running an Apple TV with a Synology NAS? I've been streaming to a PS3 but I don't game at all and it's a bit overkill.

Will the Apple TV play mkv files with subtitles and multiple tracks? File support is probably my biggest concern.

Daveh
Jan 18, 2005

You know what? You know what you're putting into our bodies? Death! Delicious, strawberry-flavored death!
I'm using a jailbroken 2nd gen ATV2 running XBMC Eden with a Synology ds211j and it's absolutely perfect. It'll play pretty much anything you throw at it, mkvs with multiple audio tracks and subtitles included.

Just-In-Timeberlake
Aug 18, 2003

mattdev posted:

Anyone here running an Apple TV with a Synology NAS? I've been streaming to a PS3 but I don't game at all and it's a bit overkill.

Will the Apple TV play mkv files with subtitles and multiple tracks? File support is probably my biggest concern.

This is exactly what I run. Jailbroken ATV2 and an ds211j. XBMC sees the NAS and plays anything on it.

Modern Pragmatist
Aug 20, 2008

mattdev posted:

Be advised that if you had 720p or higher content, you want it to be x264 encoded to ensure smooth playback on the Apple TV.

The Enthusiast
Apr 21, 2012

by Y Kant Ozma Post
Is there an app that can let me stream my old family home movies from my Windows 7 laptop to Apple TV and my iPad? Even at the same time?

Can something like Air Video help me with this?

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer

The Enthusiast posted:

Is there an app that can let me stream my old family home movies from my Windows 7 laptop to Apple TV and my iPad? Even at the same time?

Can something like Air Video help me with this?

AirVideo will be able to convert the video on the fly and stream it to your iPad (which you can then send to your Apple TV via AirPlay).

Air Video won't stream directly to the Apple TV.

Modern Pragmatist
Aug 20, 2008
AppleTV 5.0.1 update just dropped.

- HD Previews for movies and TV shows
- Airplay, Home Sharing, and Netflix bug fixes

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT4448

Irritated Goat
Mar 12, 2005

This post is pathetic.
Just to make sure I understand this before I take the plunge on aTV:

* I can rent a movie or TV episode and watch it during the rental period OR I can purchase it and it lives on my HD for watching any time correct?

* Buying a season pass is like buying a full season of the series I want to watch

Is this correct?

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer

Moeru posted:

* I can rent a movie or TV episode and watch it during the rental period OR I can purchase it and it lives on my HD for watching any time correct?

Slight correction: When you purchase a movie/tv show, you don't download it to the ATV. You'll stream it to the ATV from the iTunes servers whenever you watch it.

You can still download it to an iDevice or your iTunes install though and watch it whenever.

And you're right on the seasons pass. For currently running series, it's like buying the DVD set before the season is done airing and iTunes can send you email notices when a new episode is available for viewing. For past seasons, it's just a digital DVD set.

Irritated Goat
Mar 12, 2005

This post is pathetic.
I like it better how it actually is. Less space locally to lose by watching a ton of different shows. I'll be picking one up soon and moving 100% to digital download rather than buying DVD\Blu-ray of things

mongoibur
Jun 10, 2005

take my breath away
Has anyone used http://beamer-app.com/ ?
I have an apple tv 3, but not yet a TV, so I can't test it. How does it handle 1080-content?

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Bury my body down by the highwayside, so that my old evil spirit can get a Greyhound bus and ride

Moeru posted:

I like it better how it actually is. Less space locally to lose by watching a ton of different shows. I'll be picking one up soon and moving 100% to digital download rather than buying DVD\Blu-ray of things

Make sure you don't have automatically download purchases turned on in itunes or any of your devices or they'll download stuff you get on your atv, if you are worried about space.

Irritated Goat
Mar 12, 2005

This post is pathetic.

Dogen posted:

Make sure you don't have automatically download purchases turned on in itunes or any of your devices or they'll download stuff you get on your atv, if you are worried about space.

I'm not that worried about space but thanks for the warning. I do need to turn that off

ZShakespeare
Jul 20, 2003

The devil can cite Scripture for his purpose!

mongoibur posted:

I have an apple tv 3, but not yet a TV, so I can't test it. How does it handle 1080-content?

You're basically live converting the movie file and streaming it to the TV, so unless your computer can re–encode 1080p content in real–time (it can't) you will get lower quality (480p). It works fine for SD content as long as you have a relatively recent Mac.

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Bury my body down by the highwayside, so that my old evil spirit can get a Greyhound bus and ride

Moeru posted:

I'm not that worried about space but thanks for the warning. I do need to turn that off

I think it's off by default anyway, you have to have turned it on in iTunes/on each individual iDevice.

Irritated Goat
Mar 12, 2005

This post is pathetic.

Dogen posted:

I think it's off by default anyway, you have to have turned it on in iTunes/on each individual iDevice.

Good. Now to buy up all the Adventure Time seasons :dance:

dox
Mar 4, 2006

mongoibur posted:

AirParrot does the same thing, but neither have the capability to really deliver a flawless stream due to hardware (and bandwidth?) limitations. But it still works and I can watch a live sports stream on my TV with relative success (it plays).

echobucket
Aug 19, 2004

dox posted:

AirParrot does the same thing, but neither have the capability to really deliver a flawless stream due to hardware (and bandwidth?) limitations. But it still works and I can watch a live sports stream on my TV with relative success (it plays).

I'm on an 802.11g network and AirParrot is pretty laggy over Wifi.

However, using it on my 27" iMac which is wired (and the AppleTV is wired as well) it's actually pretty good.

Jan 20, 2008

calmer than you are
AirParrot and Beamer do not do the same thing. Beamer will convert and play any video you specify whereas AirParrot will AirPlay over your entire display.

Narqulie
Oct 25, 2011
Hey!
I have a 2nd gen jailbroken atv running AtvFlash Black. Works flawlessly with my NAS and I really like the UI.

But.. The atv keeps dropping network connection, even when I have it wired to the router, anyone else having problems with this? The wifi is supposedly even jankier, but wired as well? It reconnects nicely if I pull out the Ethernet cable and reinsert it but it shouldn't drop connection in the first place!

japtor
Oct 28, 2005
Anyone ever have issues showing pictures over AirPlay? Just got an ATV3 and when my brother has tried showing photos (from a 4S) the ATV eventually gets stuck at some point. ATV is wired and the router is an older Airport Extreme (first N one). I haven't had a problem with my iPhone 4 yet...not sure his phone is up to date though, if that makes a difference.

Narqulie
Oct 25, 2011

japtor posted:

Anyone ever have issues showing pictures over AirPlay? Just got an ATV3 and when my brother has tried showing photos (from a 4S) the ATV eventually gets stuck at some point. ATV is wired and the router is an older Airport Extreme (first N one). I haven't had a problem with my iPhone 4 yet...not sure his phone is up to date though, if that makes a difference.

I sometimes get airplay dropping off the list on both my iPad2 and iPhone4, and thus stopping. Restarting the wifi connection on the phone and pas makes the icon reappear and airplay working again. I suppose it has something to do with my other problem ^

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Modern Pragmatist posted:

AppleTV 5.0.1 update just dropped.

- HD Previews for movies and TV shows
- Airplay, Home Sharing, and Netflix bug fixes

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT4448
My Apple TV has become useless since this update. Wifi only connects at 1mbps :mad:

I've tried a restore. I guess I'll try exchanging it.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

I'm having a Home Sharing problem with my AppleTV 3. I bought those $5 DRM-free comedy specials from Louis CK, Jim Gaffigan, and Aziz Ansari with the intention to put them into iTunes and play them on the ATV via Home Sharing. All are 1280x720p, all are h.264, but Ansari's comes as a .mov and the others as .mp4.

From my MacBook Air, CK and Gaffigan played fine but Ansari's say "An error occurred accessing this content- try again later". I tried converting it for use with AppleTV in iTunes > Advanced, same result. I tried converting it in QuickTime > Export > iTunes - For AppleTV and it failed there too.

Then I got the idea to try to watch it via Home Sharing on my wife's Dell running Windows 7. It worked even without converting (although before trying I had it make a "for AppleTV" version too which comes out to 540p resolution). Unfortunately every minute or so the video freezes and the audio keeps going and then the video goes super speed to catch up to the audio. This happens regardless of resolution played.

The AppleTV and the Dell are on a gigabit ethernet network, and the MBA is connected via 802.11n. Both would need to go through a D-Link 655 router and a 24-port switch. I can't imagine the LAN speed would be a problem (especially since CK and Gaffigan were fine streaming from the MBA over n).

The AppleTV got its update applied, but this was happening both before and after the update.

I'm new to the ATV, anything I should try?

Modern Pragmatist
Aug 20, 2008

LastInLine posted:

I'm having a Home Sharing problem with my AppleTV 3. I bought those $5 DRM-free comedy specials from Louis CK, Jim Gaffigan, and Aziz Ansari with the intention to put them into iTunes and play them on the ATV via Home Sharing. All are 1280x720p, all are h.264, but Ansari's comes as a .mov and the others as .mp4.

From my MacBook Air, CK and Gaffigan played fine but Ansari's say "An error occurred accessing this content- try again later". I tried converting it for use with AppleTV in iTunes > Advanced, same result. I tried converting it in QuickTime > Export > iTunes - For AppleTV and it failed there too.

Then I got the idea to try to watch it via Home Sharing on my wife's Dell running Windows 7. It worked even without converting (although before trying I had it make a "for AppleTV" version too which comes out to 540p resolution). Unfortunately every minute or so the video freezes and the audio keeps going and then the video goes super speed to catch up to the audio. This happens regardless of resolution played.

The AppleTV and the Dell are on a gigabit ethernet network, and the MBA is connected via 802.11n. Both would need to go through a D-Link 655 router and a 24-port switch. I can't imagine the LAN speed would be a problem (especially since CK and Gaffigan were fine streaming from the MBA over n).

The AppleTV got its update applied, but this was happening both before and after the update.

I'm new to the ATV, anything I should try?

Did you try converting the .mov file to a h.264 .mp4 using Handbrake? I'm not sure why this should make a difference, especially since they are already all encoded as h.264 but it would be worth a try.

Usually stuttering like that is due to the ATV having to use software encoding, but I would have thought that you'd prevent that by using the stock software.

As far as network speed goes, I kind of doubt that is it for the same reasons you pointed out. The Apple TV is the slowest link in the setup since it only has a 10/100 ethernet port (god knows why) but that should be able to stream 720p content with no problems.

Jan 20, 2008

calmer than you are
The Aziz .mov plays perfectly fine for me via home sharing without any conversion. I think they released an updated .mp4 version on his site though.

frumpsnake
Jan 30, 2001

The sad part is, he wasn't always evil.

Modern Pragmatist posted:

Did you try converting the .mov file to a h.264 .mp4 using Handbrake?
It would be better to use Subler to remux the mov into mp4 without re-encoding anything first, but failing that, yes Handbrake should do the job.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

frumpsnake posted:

It would be better to use Subler to remux the mov into mp4 without re-encoding anything first, but failing that, yes Handbrake should do the job.
Could you explain to me how I can get Subler to make a file with both the audio and video tracks? I can only place one or the other into the queue, I can't seem to get it to output a video file that includes the audio track. The video track alone with no conversion though does seem to work perfectly on the AppleTV.

Alternatively, is there a way to do the same thing in Handbrake without having to convert re-encode anything?

Edit:

Ok, not using the beta version of Subler allowed me to convert it to .mp4. It doesn't play at all on the AppleTV though, it just keeps spinning on the timebar at the bottom (before it threw an error, so things are improving). Seems odd that it doesn't seem to want to work being as the audio track-less version plays completely perfectly.

When I have time to wait for a re-encoding I'll try that using the AppleTV 2 profile in Handbrake.

Edit 2: Handbrake worked! Thanks! Actually it didn't but thanks anyway, we ended up just watching it on the computer. :(

ClassActionFursuit fucked around with this message at 00:40 on May 24, 2012

einTier
Sep 25, 2003

Charming, friendly, and possessed by demons.
Approach with caution.
I bought an AppleTV 3 with the intention of setting it up like my original AppleTV -- XBMC talking to a NAS where all of my video content is stored. I haven't done anything with it because there's been no jailbreak.

However, from reading the thread, it appears that I could do what I want to do right out of the box with no jailbreak? Is that correct? I could install XBMC from the app store and have it pull video from my NAS without any jailbreaking or hacking?

If so, that would be glorious, as that's really the only reason I have my original ATV jailbroken. I have too many videos in formats that iTunes/Apple just can't play, and too many to put on the device.

[edit]
Nevermind, it appears I was wrong. I see that to install XBMC I still need a jailbroken ATV. Oh well, guess I'll be waiting. Is there any other solution for what I want to do?

einTier fucked around with this message at 22:41 on May 24, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

choobs
Mar 25, 2004
Never bring a duck to a cock fight.

einTier posted:

I bought an AppleTV 3 with the intention of setting it up like my original AppleTV -- XBMC talking to a NAS where all of my video content is stored. I haven't done anything with it because there's been no jailbreak.

However, from reading the thread, it appears that I could do what I want to do right out of the box with no jailbreak? Is that correct? I could install XBMC from the app store and have it pull video from my NAS without any jailbreaking or hacking?

If so, that would be glorious, as that's really the only reason I have my original ATV jailbroken. I have too many videos in formats that iTunes/Apple just can't play, and too many to put on the device.

[edit]
Nevermind, it appears I was wrong. I see that to install XBMC I still need a jailbroken ATV. Oh well, guess I'll be waiting. Is there any other solution for what I want to do?
If you have an iPhone or iPad, you could use an app like AirVideo or Plex with AirPlay to stream the videos, no jailbreak required. If you don't, you'd have to convert videos to apple friendly formats and import them into iTunes. There are probably other ways too, those are just the only ones I know.

• Locked thread