Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007
Could be. They've got an app for all 4 major networks now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie
Those apps are just glorified "login with your tv provider" things. Except for CBS which is worthless unless you sign up for their All Access sub.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
They need to unify the provider login. It makes no sense to have to login for each separate application.

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

They need to unify the provider login. It makes no sense to have to login for each separate application.

Not only that, but those apps frequently sign you out and it makes it absolutely obnoxious to have to reauthorize poo poo like every other week.

Granite Octopus
Jun 24, 2008

Minidust posted:

Have any demos shown the "Computers" app (or new ATV equivalent) yet? I stream my iTunes library a lot, and I'd like to see how that looks on the upcoming hardware. It'd be neat if they prettied it up and made it more Plex-like.

Yeah I really hope they haven't gimped this. Pretty much all I use my ATV for is streaming tv shows/movies from my iTunes library.

Bass Bottles
Jan 14, 2006

BOSS BATTLES DID NOTHING WRONG

Mahoning posted:

Not only that, but those apps frequently sign you out and it makes it absolutely obnoxious to have to reauthorize poo poo like every other week.

Seriously!!

This is like 72% of why I stopped watching American Horror Story

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
The other 18% being because it's terrible pap? ;)

Hey guys, I know we probably don't have a straight answer, but any thoughts on when the ATV's go on sale? "Monday" Do they mean a minute past Sunday 11:59? Or 10am Monday Morning? We probably don't know but I could see an argument for either. I want to nab one and I know it's not going to be as high a production device such as an iPhone.

Super Curious.

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer
I want to say that it is usually at 12:01am Pacific time. At least that's how it is for iPhone and iPad launches.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.

Thwomp posted:

I want to say that it is usually at 12:01am Pacific time. At least that's how it is for iPhone and iPad launches.

Yeah I know this isn't big like iPhones but I can't make sense of anything else.

Hey so, interesting thought...

I just got the new Philips Hue Bridge with HomeKit. Which means my Siri on my phone can control my lights.

Does that also mean (most likely) that Siri on ATV4 can do the same? Isn't it like a HomeKit controller?

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

It should.

Also, I really wouldn't worry about not being able score one when they go on sale.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.

Jose Oquendo posted:

It should.

Also, I really wouldn't worry about not being able score one when they go on sale.

Common sense tells me this. But I also wonder how limited their initial stock is.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
Apple has launched the most popular electronics product in the world for the past eight years or so. They know how to handle demand.

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

You don't have to 8e a good person to 8e a hero.

Thwomp posted:

On the other hand, the new iMacs and Magic Accessories came out at 6:01am Pacific Time.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.

haveblue posted:

Apple has launched the most popular electronics product in the world for the past eight years or so. They know how to handle demand.

I don't know if I agree with this.

Actually, I do. They know. But they don't always have the capability to meet demand for folks who want something Day 1. And again, this is the ATV not the iPhone, so I know demand will be far less. However, that may also "inform" how much they produce at first.
ATV is clearly becoming a bit more front and center as a product. However it hasn't been a flagship device in the past. So who knows..

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

I'd reaaaaaaaaally surprised if there's stock problems at all. I'm mostly disappointed that I won't be able to stop at the Apple Store on the way home and pick one up.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
Yeah I wasn't explicitly stating its gonna be a problem and I won't get one. Just that there's not a whole lot of hard precedence for ATV stock/demand, etc.

Most likely it's gonna be a cake walk.

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer
A more realistic scenario would be one of the models becoming delayed before another (if it happens at all which is a substantial if).

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Anyone here have one from the developer program? I'm kinda curious about the app size. I can't imagine most apps being that large. Games will be the biggest one of course but I figure apps like Netflix which are just glorified web pages will be that large.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Is the ATV going on pre-order on Monday across other countries too, or is it just USA? I presume it's worldwide but somehow I'm always worried that Canada is going to get some kind of weird release schedule.

Basically I want to wake up on Monday, pay Apple $200+ and get an ATV Friday or next week or something.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
Most folks gonna get the 64 or 32gig version?

That'd be a lot of apps I guess.

MickRaider
Aug 27, 2004

Now I smell like lemonade!
I'm planning getting the 32gig. Historically most apps are pretty small so even if you fill up just delete a few things. Probably won't buy many videos though

Kenderama
Mar 12, 2003

Herding Nerds from
2007-2012
I'm getting the 64 because.. for $50 more I may as well not worry about it.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

I'm probably getting 32 GB since I don't expect I'll be putting many games or videos on it. But at the same time, $50 ain't a whole lot.

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer
Apps are the only things that still take up storage that haven't been supplanted by a streaming service (iCloud Photos for pictures, Apple Music/iCloud Music for audio, iTunes/Netflix/etc for video).

Some games are pretty large, especially if they are aiming to really push the A8 processor and its 2 gigs of ram. But 32GB of storage should be plenty, especially for the first six months or so as the TV App Store finds its legs.

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007
Uhhhh doesn't the current ATV have like 8GB of storage? There's like 30 apps or more on it. I doubt I'll ever come close to filling up 32 GB. Even with more advanced apps and games....there's no way. I barely ever filled up my 16GB iPhones in the past. Now that I have a 64 GB iPhone I have a poo poo ton (over 40 GBs) of free space.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Yeah, it's something like 8 GB, but keep in mind, those apps are mostly just front-ends for streaming services. It doesn't store anything locally.

That said, you're probably not wrong that 32 GB will take awhile to fill unless you're putting lots of big games on it, something you might be more inclined to do with something attached to your TV.

For instance, XCOM and Baldur's Gate on iOS are both 2 GB.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

I'm probably going to go with the 32. I have a 16gb phone and I only now found myself in a space crunch because of photos. I don't plan to take many photos with the AppleTV so I figure 32 should be fine.

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007

Endless Mike posted:

Yeah, it's something like 8 GB, but keep in mind, those apps are mostly just front-ends for streaming services. It doesn't store anything locally.

Ehhhh, yeah I considered that when I made my post. But then I realized that streaming services are going to be the majority of what AppleTV users actually use it for. I could foresee games eventually being a significant thing on the aTV, but not those garbage shopping apps they tried to sell us on when they previewed the device at the Apple event.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Those are glorified front-ends to a website anyway. TVML is going to make doing poo poo like that super easy.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
I've looked around.. have the plex dudes said ANYTHING about a general ETA on their App? This is like nearly 100% of the reason I even want the new one. :)

MagusDraco
Nov 11, 2011

even speedwagon was trolled

Feenix posted:

I've looked around.. have the plex dudes said ANYTHING about a general ETA on their App? This is like nearly 100% of the reason I even want the new one. :)

https://mobile.twitter.com/plex/status/656960207994556416

Plex will be ready for launch.

puppy party
Sep 21, 2008

But will it be locked behind a plex pass membership during the "review period" for over a year like the app on the Xbox one?

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
Yesssssssss!!!

Awesome.

MagusDraco
Nov 11, 2011

even speedwagon was trolled

puppy party posted:

But will it be locked behind a plex pass membership during the "review period" for over a year like the app on the Xbox one?

We don't know yet.

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no
Tangential at best, but

Feenix posted:

... Siri on my phone...

... Siri on ATV4 ...
So, a person could theoretically have "hey, Siri" active on a phone, iPad, watch, and Apple TV all at the same time and in the same room. If so, and they say "hey, Siri <command>", what happens?

choobs
Mar 25, 2004
Never bring a duck to a cock fight.
I'm pretty sure, though I could be wrong, that on the Apple TV, you HAVE to hit the microphone button on the remote to activate Siri.

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer
Yeah, there's no Hey Siri for the AppleTV.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

I'm hoping ATV5 has a built in mic, or can use another iOS device as a "hey siri" relay. I know active mics can be a problem if they pick up unwanted stuff, but my house is mostly quiet and I'd like to imagine they could find a way to make it less or unresponsive while TV is playing to minimize interference.

I'd love to be all "Hey siri, where's the remote?" and have it beep or something. I could see myself using Hey Siri to initiate playback and then use the remote to control from there. Could be clumsy but you never know.

edit: Actually if there was a way to just use an iOS device as a siri satellite that would be ideal and well within reason for an ATV4 OS upgrade, even.

blast0rama
Aug 13, 2003

Tingly.

Martytoof posted:

edit: Actually if there was a way to just use an iOS device as a siri satellite that would be ideal and well within reason for an ATV4 OS upgrade, even.

I have a hunch this is going to be in the next update for the Remote app. Just makes sense.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mulls
Jul 30, 2013

Has Apple said what time on Monday these go on sale? Am I going to be staying up until 2 am just in case?

• Locked thread