Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Yeah, that's genius.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

I know that companies have had Apple TV SDKs for some months now, but I think only got them right before WWDC.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

I'd love to seriously try other TV devices, but so much iTunes content...

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Suqit posted:

Nothing is stopping you from using more than one. I use an apple TV and an amazon fire stick. Different inputs on the same TV.

Yeah, it's just annoying to remember what's where. I have a Chromecast somewhere, I'll dig it out and try it again. Needing to use a phone for it was sort of annoying.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

No way was TiVo going to compete with SciAtl and friends on hardware pricing. They were always a software play.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

I'm looking forward to recording 4K video on my new iPhone and needing to use some non-ATV device to play it back on my TV.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Thwomp posted:

Unless you bought a TV in the last year, good look getting your TV to play the 4K video from your non-ATV device.

I, uh, did buy a TV in the last year, and it can take 3840x2160@30Hz input over HDMI, as well as directly streamed from Netflix/Amazon/YouTube and so forth.

Do you think it's uncommon that people who buy Apple products have new TVs?

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

TheJoker138 posted:

Question to 4k TV havers: Is your TV really either that close to you or over 60 inches so that you can actually tell the difference between it and 1080, or did you just get drawn in by buzzwords and need to buy a shiny new thing?

I needed to buy a TV because I didn't own one, and the weird geometry of my room meant I wanted 75" or so. There weren't that many TVs with good display quality (local dimming, etc) that didn't have 4K, but looking at a few other displays running 1080 when I was shopping convinced me that I could tell the difference.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

smackfu posted:

People would expect games to run in 4K.

The box could output 4K without the game running on 4K render targets, just like games scale up on consoles all the time. Or it could output 1080p like the consoles and people would be *perfectly* happy.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Triglav posted:

I can see product management like that coming into play, yeah, but can the A8 chip inside the Apple TV handle 4K rendering and playback?

iOS devices have specific hardware for H.264 decoding, so one would imagine that to be the case here as well. I very much doubt it's happening on the CPU.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

When voice control works, it's fantastic. Definitely looking forward to doing that instead of the terrible pointer keyboard thing, even if I have to spell things out.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Bass Bottles posted:

This probably IS them trying to negotiate down that % of income. They're not thinking that banning Apple TV will drive sales on the Fire TV, they're just trying to hurt Apple enough to get the upper-hand in discussions over the inevitable Prime app.

Amazon is pretty aggressive at pushing those fees down. I had some entertaining conversations with them about affiliate fees when I was working on Firefox.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

thrawn527 posted:

I would absolutely love the Apple TV remote if it had a Home button. Being on an episode of a TV show in Netflix and wanting to back out to go to a movie or something not in Netflix takes a ton of Back clicks.

Press and hold Menu for a couple of seconds.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Just-In-Timeberlake posted:

seriously, look up all the functions of that remote's button combinations some time.

Do you have a reference off the top of your head?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Siri already works on the iPad.

• Locked thread