Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007

Magic Mango posted:

So MG Siegler says there's going to be new aTV hardware next month, and it isn't a TV.

Who is MG Siegler and why should I believe him?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007
So how likely is Siri integration into Apple TV? On the one hand, it seems like it could work, but on the other hand it just doesn't seem like Apple cares enough about AppleTV to implement it.

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007
So then this is a sign that the Apple TV software is getting updated tomorrow with an Amazon app?

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007
So I'm kind of in a bind here. I don't have cable and have been using my iPhone 4S and the HDMI hookup for it to watch things like HBO Go (because my generous sister lets me use her Xfinity login). So tomorrow I'm getting a new iPhone which will render my 30-pin HDMI adapter useless. I've been planning on getting an Apple TV but was going to wait for the new model. But considering noone knows when it will be released, I don't know if I should buy now or not.

So my choices are:

1) Buy Apple TV now and hope that I can sell it when the new one comes out (if I like it/want it)
2) Buy a Lightning to HDMI adapter for $50.
3) Watch TV on my phone and laptop and hope that the new Apple TV comes out soon

Anyone have any ideas? Would it be easy to sell the Apple TV if a new one comes out in a month? Or is there a retailer that sells it with a decently long return policy?

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007

haveblue posted:

4) Keep your old phone and use it only for watching HBO Go over wifi. Activating a new phone doesn't totally brick your old one, it just gets kicked off the cellular network and remains fully functional in every other way.

Ahhh, should have clarified, I'm selling the old one to subsidize the cost of the new one. Thanks though.

This does give me an idea about using my girlfriend's iPod Touch though....but that would be a last resort since she would probably be pissed about it.

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007

Dogen posted:

If we successfully installed it the first go round, is there a patch or anything?

Yes. Even though they're both listed as 6.0, the new version is different somehow.

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007

dutchbstrd posted:

That's what my sisters comcast account is for.

Haha. I use my sister's comcast account too. That should be on the outside of the Apple TV box.

"Make sure to have a friend's or relative's cable/satellite login so you can actually use all this stuff."

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007
Has anyone experienced HBO GO just sitting at the "Accessing HBO GO" screen with the loading wheel then saying something like "you must reside within the 50 states of the US"? It's only doing this on my Apple TV and not on my iPhone which is on the same network. I don't have any sort of unblock.us service or anything.

Edit: ok I was wrong. It doesn't work on my iPhone, at least not on the same network. It does, however, work on my iPhone with wifi turned off. However, I get a different error message on my iPhone with wifi turned on. It says that HBO GO requires an internet connection. But only if I try to play a video, it let's me browse and everything.

Mahoning fucked around with this message at 05:01 on Mar 6, 2014

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007
Just noticed that the new update fixed the iCloud photos as screen saver feature. Think I only ever saw it work twice, most of the time it just threw up pictures of animals even though it was supposed to be pictures of my family vacation. Now it's working every time.

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007
Also, there are only 3 providers that offer access to the 3 new channels. Thanks Apple!

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007

Star War Sex Parrot posted:

How is this their fault? It's whoever they can get deals with as far as channels and cable providers go. Television rights are notoriously difficult to deal with. What is an acceptable minimum number of providers to support before they release a new channel?

It was a sarcastic "Thanks Obama!"-type thing.

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007
Has anyone had the problem with the message "An error occurred while loading this content. Please try again later." popping up all the time? Doesn't matter what I'm watching, could be Netflix, could be HBOGO, could be WatchESPN. I'll get the message while in the middle of watching something. If I don't reset the ATV, I'll get the message again after a few minutes, but if I do reset, it might wait until the next day to do it. Either way, its pretty much a daily occurrence now.

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007

G-Prime posted:

The two of you with the error, sounds to me like you're out of storage space. It caches the video as you're playing it, you run out of space, and it fails. When you reboot, temp files get deleted, so that's probably what's fixing the problem temporarily.

What exactly could be taking up the storage space? All I do is watch Netflix and HBOGO. Occasionally an MLB game.

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007
Well, I completely restored it last night. We'll see if it continues the behavior or not.

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007
Anecdotal so far, but I bought an AirPort Extreme and it seems to have alleviated the problem with the "Error occurred while loading this content" message that I would get daily. Haven't seen it one time since I set it up on Thursday. Let's hope that fixed it.

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007
Also, for what it's worth, the update looks really nice.

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007

OGB posted:

Currently, yes. I'm just spit-balling that it may be easier for Apple to work out a deal where "Apple TV Subscribers" can just log right in to the existing applications, rather than develop a whole secondary way of accessing what is ultimately the same content. Cable subscribers would still be able to log in based on their subscriptions, but these Apple TV subscribers can as well for cheaper ($30-$40/mo is the figure being thrown around).

It would be something that would work with Apple TV's both old and new, and isn't far removed from what I assume HBO NOW will be - another way to access HBO GO.

That said, if they're going the SlingTV route, they're going to have to develop something to watch a live feed - but I think that's already possible with some of the apps. WWE Network, at least.

I think at least half of the network apps enable live viewing. ESPN, WWE, CNBC, ABC, all 3 Disney channel apps. PBS, HBO, and the cable channels like History, A&E, and Lifetime don't do live. But obviously it can be done.

I'd like to see a more on-screen-guide-like interface for the new iteration. To truly replace cable you need to make "let's see what's on" easier to do.

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007
It's the same way in Eastern Time. I recall twice last year the entire app poo poo the bed right when a show started. I think the True Detective finale was one and maybe the Game of Thrones premiere.

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007

Jose Oquendo posted:

Anyone having issues with Netflix since the update this week? Looks like poo poo and keeps buffering. No issues on my iPhone or computers. I'm in the US if that matters.

A few times since the update Netflix has just stopped playing what I'm watching and gone back to the episode select screen. Never ever happened before.

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007

Bucket Joneses posted:

Since HBO has stated they don't care about account sharing, I figure this is an OK question:

When I load up HBO Go/Now, it wants me to "activate" my ATV and enter a code. If I'm using my friend's creds to log in, is that going to gently caress up his poo poo if I do that?

Not at all. It just wants some legit credentials, it doesn't care how many other devices are using it or anything like that. My whole family shares my sister's HBO account info on our Apple TV's. She's in Pittsburgh, two of us are in Ohio, 1 in Chicago, and 1 in Seattle. Never had a single problem.

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007

Bizarro Kanyon posted:

I was thinking about purchasing an apple tv but I had a question. Am I able to stream live tv from apps like USA Now or from Watch ABC Family (or WatchABC)? I was trying to find out but it seemed like the most I can do is access their on demand content but not actually watch the live stream (even with a tv provider log in).

Watch abc for sure enables you to watch live tv. But it's an app by app thing. Some do, some don't. The CNBC app has live watching enabled. Not sure about some others. I can check which ones have it later on when I'm in front of my tv.

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007
Here's a not-so-complete list of Apple TV channels that have live viewing enabled:

Watchespn
Watch ABC
Watch Disney/XD/Jr
Showtime
NBC Sports Live Extra
FX Now
CNBC
CNNgo

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007
Yes, although Showtime is a standalone service now like HBO Now. So that would be the only exception. Showtime also offers a free one month trial.

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007

Duckman2008 posted:

As everyone said, wait and hang out for the hardware refresh, but for me you can really stream anything from your phone to the Apple TV. Worst case is you just tell it to mirror screen and it works fine. Not as convenient as chromecast as you can't use your phone while mirroring video, but it works.

The bolded part isn't true across the board. It actually depends on the app. For instance, when I watch live streaming video through safari, once it's playing on the tv I can use any other app I want.

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007

Just-In-Timeberlake posted:

Content providers can and do disable Airplay streaming on their apps. Last time I checked, the following disable it: WatchTBS, WatchTNT, SyFy, USA Now, Watch TruTV, the Xfinity app.

Watch TBS and Watch TNT were never completely unable to AirPlay, you just had to mirror them. The Xfinity app was completely blocked from AirPlay though.

However, Watch TNT can now be Airplayed without mirroring because I watched the PGA Championship last weekend through AirPlay on my phone.

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007
Just to be clear, this same thing happens to me and I don't use Plex at all. If I'm air playing something from my iPad, as soon as I scroll through facebook it errors out.

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007

SKY COQ posted:

The solution is don't open something that could contain video on the same device you're airplaying from.

I could browse safari all day without an issue. Maybe Facebook just sucks and auto play videos suck too.

Also, it's not just when I'm AirPlaying from my iPad. I could be watching Netflix on the AppleTV and if I accidentally forget to turn off AirPlay, it does the same thing if I open Facebook.

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007
Or the solution is for Facebook to fix their loving app, which even if you're TRYING to AirPlay something from, just errors out.

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007

Duckman2008 posted:

So It's an Apple TV with a bit better HD, App Store, and Wii like games. Am I missing anything?

Integrated Siri search across apps. More powerful processor capable of streaming more than 1 video simultaneously.

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007

Thwomp posted:

Sorry for double posting but holy poo poo, apple is selling a wristband loop for the remote separately.

I can't remember if the Wii initially came with them. But I do remember there was a problem with them breaking.

Edit: yeah, the Wiimotes came with a wrist strap included. But they had to be replaced because the original ones were snapping during gameplay.

Still, it's a separate accessory. That's just mean.

I would have zero use for a wrist strap, since I won't be playing games on mine.

Although considering how often I lose my existing AppleTV remote, maybe a wrist strap might help.

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007

Cornjob posted:

Also, was there any mention of an upgrade to the interface of the current ATV? Will it get the app store?

I doubt it will support the App Store since it has very limited internal storage. I could see them updating the interface.

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007
I wonder if Siri integration will work with an iPhone as a remote? Maybe a revamped Remote App?

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007
Just some anecdotal evidence but my AirPlay performance went from bad/spotty to nearly flawless when I got an AirPort Extreme.

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007
I've been walking around with an iPhone 6S since launch day, and while it's awesome and probably the best phone I've ever owned, I'm may more excited about the new appletv.

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007
Amazon to stop selling Apple TV (and Chromecast) because those don't run Amazon Prime streaming.

http://www.imore.com/amazon-reportedly-plans-stop-selling-apple-tv

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007
I don't get it. Netflix, until last week, required an account to login. And you couldn't sign up through iTunes so the only money exchange taking place was between Netflix and the user, with Apple seeing none of it.

Why doesn't Amazon Prime work that way too?

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007

Thwomp posted:

Which is a weird stance to take because they were big behind the initial iOS App Store gaming scene. The early iPod Touches were heavily marketed with gaming as a focus.

But then Apple goes and requires devs to support the new Remote and disallowed requiring a separate controller.

Since Apple would be handling the refunds that would undoubtedly come when people download a game then realize they can't play it, I completely understand Apple requiring the game to work with the in-box remote.

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007
Clearly Apple should be thinking of Candy Crush Saga when they update iOS instead of, you know, improving the overall user experience of the operating system. God, Apple!

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007

MickRaider posted:

Ugh when are they going to announce a pre-order date already?

Since this won't be as in-demand as the iPhone, there may be no preorders at all. But you can bet it'll go on sale the last week of October.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007
"I love the Apple TV remote!"

-My Couch Cushions

• Locked thread