Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Shmoogy
Mar 21, 2007
My macbook air is wireless, and apple tv is wired and it's not good for video. Pretty okay for anything except movies/games, which doesn't leave very much use for me. Hoping the one in mountain lion is better optimized.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shmoogy
Mar 21, 2007

japtor posted:

The one in ML appears to use hardware encoding (Quick Sync on Sandy Bridge CPUs, so you'll need a 2011 machine at least for now), performance should be similar to how it is on iPads and iPhones.

That's excellent news! Probably won't be realistically usable for gaming but at least it'll be a much needed improvement.

Shmoogy
Mar 21, 2007

TraderStav posted:

Frackity frack, that didnt do it. Time for a deep google dive unless you guys got any ideas. Is there some advanced hdmi requirement that my older tv may not have.

quote:

Change the Apple TV resolution by pressing and holding the Menu and Up button for six seconds. The Apple TV will automatically cycle to the next resolution at approximately 20 second intervals. Pressing the Select button will immediately cycle to the next resolution.

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1551

Try that stuff maybe?

Shmoogy
Mar 21, 2007

The pHo posted:

Hopefully dead easy question: my dad has an ATV2 which I put XBMC on and every so often I copy some stuff across to it. Other than that, he pretty much only uses it for Netflix... how much data can I copy across to the ATV without impairing it's ability to cache? Or is that on a separate partition, and it doesn't matter if I max out the one that I can write to over SFTP?

It has a pretty small cache-- I think it's like 8gb, not sure how much is actually usable.

Shmoogy
Mar 21, 2007

Legdiian posted:

Once you use XBMC and all it's cover art glory you can never go back to the native Apple TV UI.

I actually prefer the aTV Flash media player UI (as it looks native and runs very well). The XBMC port is a little too slow/laggy for my liking. It has gotten better in the past updates though, so it may surpass it in the future.

Shmoogy
Mar 21, 2007

FCKGW posted:

I'm more annoyed that my 27" 2009 iMac doesn't support it.

While it's frustrating, just know that it isn't an artificial limitation-- airplay mirroring in the macs takes advantage of the h264 hardware encoding built into the sandybridge++ processors.

If you want to get a feel for how it works without hardware encoding, you can go grab the trial of AirParrot-- it gives you like 10 mins per use.

Shmoogy
Mar 21, 2007

Legdiian posted:

If you are looking to AirPlay something other than files in iTunes you could try this : https://www.airparrot.com

As a disclaimer, I have never used this but I did find it with Google.

I've used it on both a macbook and a computer-- On a desktop with a PhenomX3, 8gb ram it was very mediocre. On a 2012 macbook air, it was also very mediocre- especially as the native mirroring in ML mirrors 1080p flash streams perfectly.

If you have an i5 or i7 it might work well enough, there is like a 10 minute trial period where you can gauge how well it works-- but it was upsetting that my iPhone could mirror with a better frame rate than my old desktop (I know that one uses hardware encoding and one is software based).

Shmoogy
Mar 21, 2007

cbirdsong posted:

Ideally, they figure out some way to make it so that when you hit TV shows it just looks through all the sources of content you have configured, and shows you a big list of TV shows with various sorting and search features for all of it. .

I wouldn't be surprised if this was one of the things they're working on if they get the deals with content guys that they're planning. Spending $10-50/month on services for all your media, using siri to call whatever you want to be loaded, whatever.

Shmoogy
Mar 21, 2007

Ramadu posted:

If only it had the NFL I would never need cable again.

And that is why it's still a while away and it will be a lovely fight the entire way to getting unblocked local games in your region. :(.

Shmoogy
Mar 21, 2007
You can now use PLEX on Apple TV 3, without jailbreak

https://github.com/iBaa/PlexConnect/wiki

Takes advantage of the trailers feature somehow. I saw it on reddit and thought I'd mention it here. I haven't used it myself though, so ymmv.

Shmoogy
Mar 21, 2007

IOwnCalculus posted:

Are there any screenshots of how it looks with this? I've got an ATV2 with Plex but I'm on 4.2.2 and the native Netflix app is broken. I can't seem to find any way to upgrade to 4.4.4, and if I update all the way to 5.2.1, I'm sitting without a tether-free jailbreak and without a native Plex app.

If I could go to the non-jailbroken current ATV2 firmware and use this instead, that'd be great, but I want to see how this works and make sure it's not as janky as I fear it might be.

I just set it up to test it out. Running ATV2 on 5.0.2 (I think). The grid view and bars don't work for some reason- I think it's because of the OS version I'm on ( but I don't want to upgrade as I'm jailbroken, and everything works for me). Using the search to find things proves that the solution does work quite well though. Definitely considering getting my parents an ATV3 and setting it up for them now.

Shmoogy
Mar 21, 2007
I don't think there is anything they can realistically do. They might try to break it, but fundamentally, it would be quite tricky for them to do anything which would not be figured out immediately. It's a very clever way to work around how they call for trailers from their servers.

Shmoogy
Mar 21, 2007

Bird Law posted:

Macrumors lists Apple TV as Don't Buy, are there solid rumors that an upgrade is imminent? Apple TV skipped 2011, but is it safe to assume a new generation later this year?

The don't buy is an automatic thing if it's approaching or past the amount of days the previous upgrade took. It doesn't mean there are any solid rumors, unfortunately.

Safe to say that a third gen Apple TV is still a good purchase, as last generations generally don't miss out on anything too saucy; but one can never be too sure.

If you want one, you may as well get it.

Shmoogy
Mar 21, 2007

Thwomp posted:

I thought the PlexConnect hack involved messing with your router settings, not so much the AppleTV itself?

Wouldn't any update Apple applied not affect it?

Edit: plus the latest update adds HBOGo and Watch ESPN (for those who have access to those, it's really sweet).

You edit the settings on the apple TV so that when it tries to call Apple's servers it connects to the server running on your computer. As long as they don't change the way that their trailers app calls back to get content, it will continue to work. How it's done right now would require a fundamental change on their backend, so it's probably safe for a while- but who knows.

Shmoogy
Mar 21, 2007

Psyker posted:

I have an iPhone and an iPad - would Apple TV solve my want of streaming things on my TV (like twitch.tv, etc) without the need for cables?

Yes, it works well except for VODs. I use a chromecast and mirror a tab from my desktop when I watch vods now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shmoogy
Mar 21, 2007
I use the apps on both iPhone and iPad. It's a hell of a lot more stable now a days. It used or constantly try changing the resolution and break itself, but now it's actually relatively stable and almost always works nicely.

At least you can log in and chat on the iOS version, the android one is still way worse.

• Locked thread