Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Diabolik900
Mar 28, 2007

Akuma posted:

Wait why not just use Netflix on the AppleTV?

Dr. Video Games 0050 posted:

American Netflix.

He's Canadian.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Diabolik900
Mar 28, 2007

I'm pretty sure you could already Airplay (the regular, non-mirroring kind) movies from iTunes to AppleTV in Lion.

Diabolik900
Mar 28, 2007

This is exactly what I've been waiting for before signing up with Hulu Plus. Great news.

Thwomp posted:

Doesn't the Kindle apps for iOS devices lack all the shopping/membership sign up stuff because Amazon didn't want to give up that percentage?

There's a little more to it than that. There are both financial and technical reasons that they can't do it. It's not just that Amazon doesn't want to give up the thirty percent, they literally can't afford to under their current deals. My understanding is that publishers get 70% of the money when Amazon sells a Kindle book. If Amazon had to then give 30% of the money to Apple there would literally be nothing left for themselves. Plus, there is a limit to the number of items you can sell through iOS's in-app purchasing. I don't know what the limit is, but it's well below the number of books that Amazon offers in the Kindle Store. There's really no way that Amazon can sell Kindle books through an iOS app under Apple's current rules.

Diabolik900
Mar 28, 2007

EC posted:

Watched tags let you know what you've watched and what you haven't, making it easier to find your place in a TV series.

Not trying to talk you out of your setup (if it works for your needs, that's great) but the default Apple TV software does differentiate between watched, unwatched, and partially watched episodes.

Diabolik900
Mar 28, 2007

randyest posted:

That "almost" is what I don't like. Should be "never."

I would've said something about that, but I'm pretty sure the smiley shows that he realized this when he posted it.

Diabolik900
Mar 28, 2007

Legdiian posted:

This may be a dumb question, but if I go to Walmart and buy a DVD out of the $5 bin, what is the official "Apple way" to get that media on my Apple TV?

There is none, unless it comes with a digital copy.

Diabolik900
Mar 28, 2007

ZShakespeare posted:

e: I'm relatively new to the ecosystem, isn't there a way for iTunes to rip a music CD to your library?

Yep, and it's a shame that it's not the same for movies. I'm not a lawyer, but common sense tells me that it's really the same thing.

Edit: And to clarify, I know that it's not the same legally, but I don't really understand why.

Diabolik900
Mar 28, 2007

Jqim posted:

Can anyone explain what is going on here?

Looks like someone is selling an Apple TV while also promoting their YouTube channel full of pirated movies.

Diabolik900
Mar 28, 2007

smackfu posted:

Apparently there is supposed to be a new iTunes Festival app? Show up for anyone yet?

Haven't checked mine yet since I'm at work but sometimes you need to restart for these things to show up.

Diabolik900
Mar 28, 2007

TheJoker138 posted:

So I just got an Apple TV to go along with my new iPhone. It's really slick looking, even though there are some apps it should have but doesn't (HBO Go, Cinemax Go, Showtime Anytime, etc.). Does anyone know if there are currently any plans on bringing any of those to Apple TV, or is it just a kind of abandoned, forgotten piece of hardware at this point?

The answers are nobody knows and no. It is definitely not abandoned, but new channels/apps just sort of show up when they show up. There isn't really any advanced notice.

Diabolik900
Mar 28, 2007

TheJoker138 posted:

What I'd really like is just the Comcast/Xfinity app on there. You already have to be a cable subscriber to use it, and it's out on all the mobile devices and such, as well as having a browser based equivalent. If I had that I could deal with the Go/Anytime apps not being up because most of that functionality is in the Xfinity thing already. I also don't see how Roku and Boxee have these apps when Apple doesn't, that's the part that baffles me.

Roku and Boxee are seemingly trying to get every app they can possibly manage, which does not seem to be Apple's approach.

Diabolik900
Mar 28, 2007

Wario In Real Life posted:

While I don't argue that Apple wants their cut, how exactly are they making money off of the other apps on there? MLB.tv? NBA League Pass? If I'm already a subscriber and use the aTV app to watch the games, how does Apple make any money?

If you're already a customer, I would guess they don't make anything, but I'm pretty sure you can sign up for all these services directly from the Apple TV and Apple certainly gets a cut from that.

Diabolik900
Mar 28, 2007

Yeah, there's really no telling when a new Apple TV will come out. There's no pattern to the releases at this point.

Diabolik900
Mar 28, 2007

Rexim posted:

Is the Apple TV itself noisy at all? I'm guessing no...It seems so small, and I've never known Apple hardware to be particularly noisy.

I like my Xbox 360, but watching Netflix on it is impractical because it's so roaringly noisy that I can't enjoy movies while it's on.

No, it's completely silent.

Diabolik900
Mar 28, 2007

Choadmaster posted:

If you're going to make a snarky answer like that it might help if the resultant website doesn't say it doesn't work on the Apple TV.

LMGTFY was run into the ground and stopped being funny years ago, but I don't understand what you mean by this. The answer is that it doesn't work on Apple TV.

Diabolik900
Mar 28, 2007

Honestly, I don't think anyone has a clue what to expect with Apple TV. It's never been on an annual update schedule like Apple's other products, and if anything it seems like they could be moving away from following such a regular schedule. There have been all kinds of TV rumors over the past year, but nothing solid. I wouldn't expect anything soon, but really no one knows at this point.

Diabolik900
Mar 28, 2007

nate fisher posted:

Now that I have multiple AppleTVs I want to give access to others in my family to use the Remote app on their iPhone. Unlike AirPlay, which is any iOS device or iTunes on the same WiFi network, you have to be signed on with a matching iTunes account (which is my account). Considering that each individual in my household has their own iTunes account for their devices (there is 5 of us) that means I am the only one that can use the Remote app. Is there something I am missing? If not Apple should of made the Remote app work like AirPlay.

I haven't tried this myself, but I believe you can use a separate Apple ID just for the Remote app. You could create a new Apple ID and then all use that for Remote without giving out your primary Apple ID to everyone else. I agree that making it work like Airplay would be better, but I think this way should work.

Diabolik900
Mar 28, 2007

iv46vi posted:

Thanks to this thread just got $200 in cold hard cash fo my atv2. Talk about resale value. Now the question is whether to buy a refurbished atv3 or wait for a new smaller atv. Don't we usually get some sort of entertainment announcement from Apple in February?

There would normally be an iPad event around March, which is where the Apple TV 3 was announced last year, but that seems extremely unlikely this year given that they just refreshed the iPad lineup in the Fall and just quietly announced the 128GB iPad this week. Apple's already acknowledged that the new Apple TV model isn't going to be any different from a user's perspective. I'd just get one now.

Diabolik900
Mar 28, 2007

kloa posted:

Is it necessary to sleep my ATV or can I just leave it running forever? I realized I've always backed out of xbmc or Netflix and make it sleep when I'm done with it for the day, but I leave my desktop running.

I just leave mine running. It should go to sleep on its own eventually anyway, but even if it doesn't, it's still using way less power than your desktop.

Diabolik900
Mar 28, 2007

OS X or Windows? You can rip DVDs directly in Handbrake, but if they are copy protected I don't think you can rip them in the Windows version.

Diabolik900
Mar 28, 2007

jackpot posted:

I can't help but feel like HBO's losing a ton of money doing it this way, but I'm sure they've crunched the numbers and can prove me wrong on that. Netflix, Hulu...it feels like all the people willing to shell out a few dollars a month for those would be happy to shell out a few more for access to HBO's lineup.

God, do I want to see Oz again. :(

I think the problem is that they can make more money right now by maintaining the status quo, so they're hesitant to change their business model. That won't last forever though, and if they wait too long it will eventually be too late.

Diabolik900
Mar 28, 2007

Can the Windows version of Handbrake still not convert copy-protected DVDs? I haven't used it in years, so maybe that's not a thing anymore, but I remember it being an issue before.

Diabolik900
Mar 28, 2007

And unless he's confusing this with the still non-existent Apple TV set, this thing has never really been hyped. If anything I think Apple has undersold it.

Diabolik900
Mar 28, 2007

Miyamotos RGB NES posted:

Nope. Stupid question but if I did that wouldn't there be no reason to use Plex? I thought iTunes sharing only worked if my entire video collection was in .mp4 format?

You're right about iTunes streaming, but I think the point of Thwomp's question was that you never said you were using Plex in your original post.

Diabolik900
Mar 28, 2007

That seems like it should be common sense if you're relying on an unsupported hack.

Diabolik900
Mar 28, 2007

Feenix posted:

They just got 40 Metric tons of "Set top boxes" from China, right before a Keynote/iPhone event. This isn't just restock of current supply. It's more than likely more aTVs and I'm wondering what is different about them.

The biggest area the Apple TV could be improved is with an app/channel store, as has been discussed multiple times. If they do this though, I think they'll need two things: more storage and a better input device. I have no idea what that input device would be, but the current remote won't really be any good for anything but the type of video channels that the thing has now. If there is going to be a new Apple TV, that's what I think could be different about it.

Diabolik900
Mar 28, 2007

Thwomp posted:

Siri.

For real. Combined with a recommendation service (or a TV Genius) to easily provide other shows you might like, Siri could work out just fine as a TV control (in conjunction with the current aTV remote).

Ehh, maybe. It depends what kind of apps Apple wants to push for it (if they're actually planning to go that route at all). I can see that maybe working well for things like TV and movies, but I think the current remote is mostly ok for that anyway.

Where they really need something new is if they want people to make games for it (which is admittedly a big if). iOS 7's third-party controller support could be a clue, but I think Apple would need to bundle their own controller with the box if they want any serious adoption. That seems pretty un-Apple-like though.

Endless Mike posted:

Apple already sells several different models of excellent input devices for it that could be tailored for specific uses, if they desired;

I really think that the Apple TV needs to be able to work effectively with just what comes in the box. Using an iOS device as a remote is nice to have as an option, but I don't think making it a requirement is a good idea. Plus, what's the point of having TV apps if you need to take your eyes off the TV to use them?

Diabolik900
Mar 28, 2007

Mahoning posted:

Who is MG Siegler and why should I believe him?

Think John Gruber but even douchier. He used to write about Apple for Techcrunch. He has very strong connections within Apple, and if he stated something like that as a fact (not a guess or prediction) you can be pretty sure it's based on information from sources within Apple.

Diabolik900
Mar 28, 2007

haveblue posted:

What makes Amazon Prime more major than the last silent update that installed a bunch of new streaming apps?

It probably doesn't require an update, but there is an actual software update coming, so what they're saying is that the Amazon app might come along with that. I'd like it to happen, but this is based on nothing but them adding airplay support, so I wouldn't hold your breath.

Diabolik900
Mar 28, 2007

With the MLB involvement and the number of channels they've been adding lately I wouldn't be surprised, but knowing Apple they probably won't be able to come out and say it until it actually happens.

Diabolik900
Mar 28, 2007

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

Interesting. Has there been any word about rolling out a new one?

Not officially obviously, but there's been some rumors that they'll be unveiling a new one and an SDK in the next few months.

Diabolik900
Mar 28, 2007

Minidust posted:

My wife-to-be has her own Apple TV, so we're gonna end up with one in the living room and one in the bedroom. Is there any way to make both of our stuff show up under "Computers"? Or is there basically gonna be a "his" and "hers" ATV in this scenario?

As long as both computers are set up for Home Sharing under the same account (which can be different from your store account) they'll both show up under "Computers" on the Apple TV.

Diabolik900
Mar 28, 2007

Drastic Actions posted:

It's an update to iOS 8, so it won't work with the ATV 2.

Obviously Apple had to cut off support some time, but I'm not sure I follow the logic here. Why is it a given that the Apple tv 2 couldn't get updated to IOS 8?

Diabolik900
Mar 28, 2007

Brock Landers posted:

A4 processor doesn't have the power for it most likely. Also, it only has 256mb of ram.

Yeah, it probably is because of the older internals of the second gen, but I guess I had erroneously assumed that the Apple TV version of iOS is stripped down enough that the requirements of normal iOS aren't really relevant. Now I need to decide whether it's worth upgrading or if I should continue to hold out for new hardware.

Diabolik900
Mar 28, 2007

Akuma posted:

You're not missing out on much. Isn't family sharing the only real new feature? Is that not in the latest update for the second gen, too?

There's nothing in this update that I feel like I'm missing out on, it's more about knowing that I'm probably not going to be getting any major new features in the future. I guess the easy answer is to just stick with what I have until there's something I want that it actually can't do, rather than worrying about hypothetical future updates.

Diabolik900
Mar 28, 2007

My second-gen Apple TV can't seem to connect to YouTube anymore. Everything else on my network (including a third-gen Apple TV) has no trouble. Any ideas what could be going on?

Diabolik900
Mar 28, 2007

I finally bought a third-generation Apple TV last week, so obviously this rumor is going to come true.

Diabolik900
Mar 28, 2007

Thwomp posted:

It's Buzzfeed and I'll really fully believe it when I see it

It's written by John Paczkowski, who's been doing solid reporting on Apple for years. Obviously there's always a chance it could be wrong, but I wouldn't bet against it.

Diabolik900
Mar 28, 2007

Bizarro Kanyon posted:

I was thinking about purchasing an apple tv but I had a question. Am I able to stream live tv from apps like USA Now or from Watch ABC Family (or WatchABC)? I was trying to find out but it seemed like the most I can do is access their on demand content but not actually watch the live stream (even with a tv provider log in).

I'm not sure about your specific question since I don't use these particular apps, but I do need to point out that this is a terrible time to buy an Apple TV. It's expected to get it's first hardware update in years next month and the new model is supposed to include an app store.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Diabolik900
Mar 28, 2007

TinTower posted:

Something I don't know the answer to: will we be able to actually store videos on the Apple TV, like syncing with an iOS device? Might push me towards getting a 64GB over a 32GB.

Almost positive that's a no. You'll need to track down the Apple TV 1 to do that.

• Locked thread