Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
niss
Jul 9, 2008

the amazing gnome
Just got the latest gen aTV last night and so far I am very happy/impressed with it. I mainly got it to be able to play music from our iTunes library's and some MP3's I have stored on my server. The airplay feature is working great for doing this, much better than I had planned.

My one question is I have 3 locations with stored music. My iTunes library, My wife's library and my WHS2011 box. I am trying to figure out the best way to combine all three locations so they are easily available to iTunes. I would kind of like to keep the WHS box in a separate library as I have a lot of one off songs or non full albums, and things that just are tagged properly despite spending a decent amount of time in the past tagging.

I have home sharing setup for my wife and I, which works great, just not sure the best course of action for the stuff on the WHS box

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

niss
Jul 9, 2008

the amazing gnome
Been using my aTV3 to watch a lot of Netflix lately. Not sure if I am doing something wrong, but when watching a TV series it doesn't seem to auto advance to the next show in the series when the current show is done. I have to go hit the menu button go back and manually advance.

I guess I got spoiled with the redesign on both the PC and PS3, but the auto advance/play feature is really nice.

niss
Jul 9, 2008

the amazing gnome

B-Mac posted:

Is there an program I can use to AirPlay from my windows pc to my Apple TV?

I use this http://www.rogueamoeba.com/airfoil/ and it works great for streaming audio from basically any program..

niss
Jul 9, 2008

the amazing gnome

MickRaider posted:

Netflix on ATV is by far the best experience that I've come across.

I'd gladly trade it for how the PS3 does Netflix, but thats just me.

niss
Jul 9, 2008

the amazing gnome
So I was thinking about getting another apple tv to take on the road with me when i travel. My question is there a way to connect it to a hotels wireless where they require you to either sign in or accept some terms and conditions to connect to their wireless

well not so much to connect to the wireless but to connect to the internet, once you are on the wireless.. basically like a portal page

niss
Jul 9, 2008

the amazing gnome

movax posted:

Also, could foobar stream to it? I assume it's pretty pointless to try and get FLAC streaming working since its compressed on its way to the ATV, but maybe I'd be in the mood to stream my normal collection.

I use a program called AirFoil to stream any non iTunes audio to my aTV and it works great, been using it for over a year now and I have no complaints. I have yet to have an audio source that I wanted to stream but couldn't.

niss
Jul 9, 2008

the amazing gnome

duffmensch posted:

It's anecdotal, but I used to have a Netgear router that would completely poo poo itself whenever you launched World of Warcraft via wifi. Launch from a wired connection? No problem! Doing literally anything else on wifi? No problem! Launch WoW while on wifi? You've got 30 seconds until it locks up completely and won't respond to anything until you power cycle it.

Flashing firmware and replacing it with a different unit met with the same results each time. Never did figure out what caused it as I decided to go with Linksys instead.

I had that exact thing happen with some mikrotik gear.. never did figure it out myself.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

niss
Jul 9, 2008

the amazing gnome

Thwomp posted:

Not as far as I know (I also have two AppleTVs under my Apple ID).

However, I still cannot for the life of me get Home Sharing to work again. Some combination of updates to the ATV and iTunes has completely disabled it. I've tried resetting the ATV, my router settings, switching from our 5Ghz wifi to 2.4GHz, downgrading to previous version of iTunes, and I even accidentally reinstalled windows. I made sure the ports were unblocked and tried different files. My AppleTVs just sit there attempting to load and play the file.

iTunes plays the files in the iTunes player on my windows PC just fine. The Apple TV streams media from Netflix, YouTube and the iTunes Store just fine. It's infuriating since everything worked perfectly up until this past fall/winter.

The only thing I haven't tried is wiring up my ATV directly to the router or my computer but that kind of defeats the purpose of having a central library and having easy access.

I haven't had this happen in a while, but I would constantly loose the ability to airplay from iTunes to my apple TV. It was always related to ipv6 being enabled on my PC, as soon as I turned it off the airplay icon would show back up in iTunes. Might be worth checking.

• Locked thread