Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Devian666
Aug 20, 2008

Take some advice Chris.

Fun Shoe

EC posted:

If you have an iOS device, you can use AirVideo. There's a server application that you install on your PC, then the app on your iPhone/iPad connects to that and streams videos. You can then AirPlay that to the ATV, assuming it's a recent iOS device.

I only just set up my ATV yesterday. AirPlay via airvideo is a good option and saves needing to pre convert media.

One thing I've noticed is that the caching of streams works really well. I was watching a podcast and was starting a YouTube video on my iPad but I had accidentally left AirPlay on. The video played in place of the podcast. I watched that the the ATV allowed resume and had still retained the 80% of the video that had been cached. After I noticed that I check out a few other things I'd been watching and they were still fully cached. Seems like a step up in terms of streaming.

The only problem I see is that it'll probably encourage me to get an iPad 3 for mirroring.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Devian666
Aug 20, 2008

Take some advice Chris.

Fun Shoe
I have an iPad 1 so no mirroring. I'd just go to an iPad 3 for the better hardware.

Devian666
Aug 20, 2008

Take some advice Chris.

Fun Shoe
Something I just figured out is that my ipad doesn't need to be dedicated to airplay. Running youtube videos or air video server I can go and do other stuff with the ipad. Originally I didn't think you could do this because playback stops if you hit the back button or select another video even if you don't hit play (both the youtube app or air video app).

Devian666
Aug 20, 2008

Take some advice Chris.

Fun Shoe
Probably need some more information like the source quality and so on. Not familiar with airflick but on air video I only notice quality issues or artifacting with low quality source video.

Devian666
Aug 20, 2008

Take some advice Chris.

Fun Shoe
That's exactly why most of us use airvideo. Remote desktop on an iPad or similar isn't great when I've used it. Whereas airvideo has fast navigation and will get my pc to transcode video while playing. When you hit AirPlay on the airvideo app on iPad or whatever device the pc just streams to the ATV. So it does exactly what you're asking but with a better interface.

Devian666
Aug 20, 2008

Take some advice Chris.

Fun Shoe
You'll find that a 100 mbit/s wired connection is equivalent to a 200 mbit/s wireless connection except that it's not subject to interference. In the vast majority of cases a 100 mbit/s wired connection is probably faster. My ATV 3rd gen doesn't seem to like connecting at more than 65 mbit/s wirelessly, not that it matters.

Devian666
Aug 20, 2008

Take some advice Chris.

Fun Shoe

FishBulb posted:

AirPlay mirroring with my iPad (2) sucks. It's great with my iPhone 5. Is this just because of hardware and poo poo or something I can fix?

I'm not really sure. Mirroring on my mini does go slow in 3d graphics heavy scenes. The rest of the time it's fine. It could be wireless or CPU speed related. The mini is the same as the iPad 2 except I believe it has faster wireless at 5GHz. Difficult to day with you telling us what the comparison is like.

Devian666
Aug 20, 2008

Take some advice Chris.

Fun Shoe

Thwomp posted:

Anyone having issues connecting their AppleTV to their iTunes Home Share since going to iTunes 11?

Updated the ATV first then itunes. I had to reboot my computer after that. Can't remember if I did anything else but it worked after that. I still haven't tested the new features.

Devian666
Aug 20, 2008

Take some advice Chris.

Fun Shoe

mediaphage posted:

Sometimes it's a licensing thing.

Though honestly I dunno why bt keyboard support is such a big deal. It's handy, yes, but I bet most (not all, of course) people have an iOS device which can act as a wi-fi keyboard for the aTV.

Anyway, sometimes companies leave things unenabled to avoid paying licensing fees. Sometimes they do it as a future-proofing measure.

There's a lot of speculation about the addition of apps due to some menu options that turned up in the beta. If it's only keyboard support I'm not that worried as the remote app on iOS does the same thing. I don't see that as a big deal. Adding ATV specific apps would be a whole other interesting thing.

Devian666
Aug 20, 2008

Take some advice Chris.

Fun Shoe
I'm not getting my hopes up either as I'm just expecting keyboard support only.

Devian666
Aug 20, 2008

Take some advice Chris.

Fun Shoe

housefly posted:

I'd love for that to be the case, but I'm weary. They've been sitting on their hands for so long on the whole app thing I'll file that under "believe it when I see it".

I never believed any of the rumours. It'd be nice if the ATV gets apps/app store but I'll worry about it when/if it turns up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Devian666
Aug 20, 2008

Take some advice Chris.

Fun Shoe
I've heard crazy rumours but I thought we're just going to see an iOS7 style update, selectable background and music purchases from the ATV. There are other new features but they are pretty minor.

An update timed after the new ATV and when the music purchasing goes online makes sense.

• Locked thread