Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Cannon Goose
Oct 29, 2010
I feel like I've missed the boat on buying an ATV2 as I can only find the 3rd version being sold. I've already got a streaming solution, but my brother is looking for one and the ATV is super cheap so I figure it might be worth a shot. It wouldn't be much of a bother to convert all my stuff to the appropriate format so it plays through iTunes but I have a few questions:

1. Do all my video files have to be in the iTunes folder? Currently they are all in their own folder on my external drive and iTunes is installed on the internal drive. I don't have nearly enough space on my internal drive to keep all the video files on there, so I was wondering if you can point iTunes at another folder or something?

2. How does the ATV3 handle 5.1 audio? Right now I can stream it to my PS3 if I encode MP4s with Handbrake's AAC 6 channel discrete option and that works beautifully. Will the ATV be able to stream the audio?

3. Is there a program like Subler for Windows?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cannon Goose
Oct 29, 2010

Modern Pragmatist posted:

Apple TV doesn't handle 6-channel audio. It must be encoded as 5.1 in order to get surround sound.

I was under the impression that the 6 channel option in Handbrake basically was 5.1 (6 channels with one of them being the .1) but if that isn't the case then how would I go about ripping proper 5.1 sound?

Cannon Goose
Oct 29, 2010

Modern Pragmatist posted:

https://trac.handbrake.fr/wiki/SurroundSoundGuide

The ideal settings for Handbrake to work with the aTV are Dolby Pro Logic II with AC3 pass-through.

This works perfectly, thanks for the link!

Now, can anyone tell me why my ripped videos have a garbled preview image in iTunes and on the Apple TV itself?

I know I can just put it any artwork I want to replace that, but why do they come out all crazy?

• Locked thread