Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Narqulie
Oct 25, 2011
Hey!
I have a 2nd gen jailbroken atv running AtvFlash Black. Works flawlessly with my NAS and I really like the UI.

But.. The atv keeps dropping network connection, even when I have it wired to the router, anyone else having problems with this? The wifi is supposedly even jankier, but wired as well? It reconnects nicely if I pull out the Ethernet cable and reinsert it but it shouldn't drop connection in the first place!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Narqulie
Oct 25, 2011

japtor posted:

Anyone ever have issues showing pictures over AirPlay? Just got an ATV3 and when my brother has tried showing photos (from a 4S) the ATV eventually gets stuck at some point. ATV is wired and the router is an older Airport Extreme (first N one). I haven't had a problem with my iPhone 4 yet...not sure his phone is up to date though, if that makes a difference.

I sometimes get airplay dropping off the list on both my iPad2 and iPhone4, and thus stopping. Restarting the wifi connection on the phone and pas makes the icon reappear and airplay working again. I suppose it has something to do with my other problem ^

Narqulie
Oct 25, 2011
For all you people having problems with atvs and Xbmc:
I used to run xbmc, but as many of you pointed out, it really isn't ideal. So after a bit of googling about I found Firecore's ATV Flash Black. http://firecore.com/atvflash-black

It's a very simple setup, and gives you a great media player that you can hook up to a NAS and play back all sorts of media. I find it fits my needs perfectly. You can also use the software to install other "apps" like Xbmc etc. straight from the ATV!
It does cost some money, which of course isn't ideal, but for what it does, I find t well worth it.

Narqulie
Oct 25, 2011
ATV flashes media library works just like you'd imagine a media library thing would, really.
You point it to a folder on your server, tell it what the folder has in it, (tv shows, movies, etc.) and it curates it, pulling all the necessary metadata and all that. I'm not near my TV at the moment, but if I remember correctly, you can tell it to scan for changes every x hours, might have other options aswell, I can't quite remember.

Personally I just use Flashes folder view and favorites to manage my media. It needs no scanning, it fetches the metadata every time you enter a given folder, and if you create a new folder it shows up automatically. It's perfect, and simple enough for my not-computer-interested fiance to manage her shows on her own folder on the NAS and watch them from the big screen without any hassle.

I do miss some of the eyecandy of XBMC. You can make that thing look amazing. But imo Flash looks well enough, the UI fits the ATV's general theme well, and the gains in speed outweigh the looks a thousand times over.

Narqulie
Oct 25, 2011

Dr. Video Games 0050 posted:

I don't think you can AirPlay Netflix.

But you can mirror, and airplay that way!

• Locked thread