Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
OldSenileGuy
Mar 13, 2001

tonic posted:

Give iVI a try. Make sure you select "pass through" and it will simply remux (rather than re-encode) mkvs and throw them in iTunes nicely tagged for you. Takes my iMac around a minute thirty for a 30 minute TV show.

I've found iVi to be awesome for metadata tagging, but I've never been able to get conversions to work the way I want. Even when I select "pass-thru", it still eventually starts "Doing Original Conversion" in the queue window and takes about 45 minutes for a 22 minute show. Can you post your settings so I can see what I'm missing?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OldSenileGuy
Mar 13, 2001
I have all my media on an external hard drive connected to a Mac Mini. All that media is in an iTunes friendly format, and imported into the iTunes library of the Mac Mini. I then access it all through Home Sharing on the AppleTV.

This has worked great for years, but lately I've had a lot of bufferring and stuttering on my videos. Is the hard drive or the Mac Mini the more likely culprit? They're both pretty old (hard drive from like 2008, Mini from like 2006), but I don't even know if the Mac Mini is doing any processing in this setup. Or it is just acting as a way for the AppleTV to see the media on the drive?

OldSenileGuy
Mar 13, 2001

Legdiian posted:

You could try copying a movie from the external drive to the Mac Mini and see if the issue persists. I'm assuming the Mini and Apple TV have wired network connections?

It's tough because it's not repeatable. It'll take like 3 minutes to start a shot that usually starts instantaneously, but then once it's over, if I go back and start it again it'll start instantly.

OldSenileGuy
Mar 13, 2001

movax posted:

Oh, this is cool. Will be nice for AirPlay'ing stuff at work or when folks come over to my apartment.

One step closer to my dream: a keychain sized hdmi dongle that just does one thing - allows you to airplay to it without connecting to a network. Similar to a chromecast, I guess, but Apple.

OldSenileGuy
Mar 13, 2001

Mr. Nice! posted:

There's no need once the bluetooth 4 stuff is enabled. In the next iOS you'll be able to just tap someone's appleTV with your phone and connect to it.

Yeah, but I'm thinking more for cases where the friend or place I'm at doesn't have an AppleTV. It would be nice to have some kind of HDMI dongle that's small enough that I can keep it on me at all times, and allows me to Airplay my media from my phone to any TV with an open HDMI slot. Not sure about the feasibility of that though. Can an HDMI slot provide power, for example?

Also, this might be better for the general HTPC thread, but I'll try here first.

My setup consists of an AppleTV which connects to a headless Mac Mini that has all my media on it in iTunes. The AppleTV is routed through my Pioneer receiver to my TV. I always thought one of the advantages to this setup was that if I ever wanted to add another "TV" to my house, it would be as easy as buying another AppleTV.

Well I'm trying to do that now and I suspect it's not that easy. I was looking to add a 24" monitor and a cheap pair of PC speakers to my bedroom, but then I had a realization. A large portion of my media is encoded with only a Dolby 5.1 AC3 track for the audio. This works fine in my living room where I have the receiver, but I suspect it won't work as well in the bedroom. I've looked around for some Optical audio -> analog audio converters. I've found some, but they seem to only convert (or decode, whatever) the 5.1 optical signal to 5.1 analog. I would need something that converts the 5.1 AC3 optical audio signal to 2-channel analog audio.

Does something like that exist for relatively cheap, or am I stuck having to add a receiver into any room I want to add another AppleTV to? Or re-encoding all my media to add a supplementary 2 channel track to them, but I'd really rather not do that.

OldSenileGuy fucked around with this message at 04:38 on Jul 3, 2014

OldSenileGuy
Mar 13, 2001
Is it safe to assume that a TV will have a built in decoder to be able to play the AC3 audio? I haven't used a tv as anything besides a monitor for years.

OldSenileGuy
Mar 13, 2001
Looks like the update is only for Apple TV 3. Do apple TV 2's still sell for crazy megabucks on eBay? I still have a 2, and I jailbroke it once but didn't like it, so now I just use stock. If I can still sell it and buy a 3 and still make a profit, I probably will.

OldSenileGuy
Mar 13, 2001

Drastic Actions posted:

It's an update to iOS 8, so it won't work with the ATV 2.

I did get some kind of update, but nothing looks different.

And to answer my own question, it looks like atv2 still does fetch a premium on eBay, but most of the ones on there are already jailbroken.

OldSenileGuy fucked around with this message at 02:22 on Sep 18, 2014

OldSenileGuy
Mar 13, 2001
I'm hesitant to even post this because I don't want to jinx anything, but I run a ~10 year old Mac Mini as my iTunes client and Home Sharing plays perfectly with it and my Apple TV. I pretty much try to limit my content to 720p, even though I've never been able to get a solid answer on whether the Mac or the AppleTV does the heavy lifting when trying to play a video on the AppleTV through home sharing.

OldSenileGuy
Mar 13, 2001
I still have an ATV2 kicking around that I figure would be best to sell before the new one arrives. If it's updated to the latest software upgrade, does that mean it can't be jailbroken? I plan on putting it on eBay (or maybe SA Mart first) advertising that it is an ATV2 and can be jailbroken, and I don't want to run into a situation where I get bad feedback or have to issue a refund if it actually can't be jailbroken.

OldSenileGuy
Mar 13, 2001
Really interested to see how Siri search will work for more obscure stuff that won't have an obvious splash screen and be available from 3 different providers.

Also for how it will work (IF it will work) for shows/movies that only exist in my iTunes library.

OldSenileGuy
Mar 13, 2001
Someone's already done an unboxing video of the new Apple TV. Hopefully that means that "late October" doesn't actually mean like Oct 31.

OldSenileGuy fucked around with this message at 21:55 on Sep 12, 2015

OldSenileGuy
Mar 13, 2001
Holy poo poo i just realized if they put out a Slingbox app for this thing then that means I effectively have cable again thanks to the Slingbox I bought my parents that they never use. Is this likely to happen? Do the other streaming boxes have official Slingplayer apps?

OldSenileGuy
Mar 13, 2001

gret posted:

They already support AirPlay from iOS devices to your current AppleTV.

True, but in my experience this is flaky at best. Though that can be said of AirPlay on my Apple TV in general.

OldSenileGuy
Mar 13, 2001
Is there somewhere that says all the formats the new AppleTV can output? I used my TiVo Roamio for Netflix tonight for the first time instead of my AppleTV2 because the ATV has been really flaky and reboot-y lately. I was surprised to see that the TiVo outputs Dolby Digital Plus, which I didn't even know was a thing. Does new AppleTV support this?

OldSenileGuy
Mar 13, 2001
So did Apple omit any mention of HomeKit connectivity because ATV doesn't have it, or just because there aren't a lot of HomeKit devices out yet?

If I ask Siri on my phone to turn the lights on, she says there aren't any connected (hopefully this will change soon). What will she say if I ask her on ATV?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OldSenileGuy
Mar 13, 2001

mulls posted:

I have a Harmony all set up, and I'm planning on using that 90% and just keeping the new remote handy for the few times I want to use Siri. I'm also hoping my iPhone can be a Siri microphone for Apple TV.

I hope there's an IR button to activate Siri. I believe the mic for Siri is in the actual remote, but I use a Harmony as well, so it would be nice to just leave the Apple Remote next to the actual AppleTV and then it's kinda like the mic is in the ATV like it should have been in the first place anyway.

• Locked thread