Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.

Ur Getting Fatter posted:

I feel like the ATV's colour output is not the best. Everything looks a but washed out, like if the color saturation was too low. Everything else I play through the TV looks great. Is there any way to calibrate the ATV at all?

Try changing hdmi settings to RBG high or low

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.

s3r posted:

I have a 2011 Mac Mini which is connected to an HDTV located on the other side of the room. I currently run a long HDMI cable along the floor to accomplish this. I am wondering if I could replace that cable with an ATV3 and Airplay Mirroring; has anyone tried this?

I have read there are problems with no monitor being connected which can be overcome, however I am unable to Google up any results of the computer remembering to auto-enable the Airplay Mirror on reboot/sleep.

Have you simply tried a wireless hdmi solution yet?

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

The wifi in the ATV2 is pretty poo poo anyway. If you can hardware its so much better.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

Billa posted:

I just bought an ATV3 but I'm unable to understand how this works, or maybe I got everything wrong, I want to do the following:

I have a NAS with mp4 which I want to stream directly to the iPad without the need of a computer on the middle, is that possible? Or do I need a computer to stream to my iPad?

I dont see how this has anything to do with the appletv3.

You need software on your ipad that can connect to network shares, goodplayer is one.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

Viper_3000 posted:

I just sold mine for $210. Seriously if you are reading this thread and you aren't going to jailbreak your ATV2, you should sell it.

Ebay or amazon?

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

priznat posted:

I've got an appleTV 1st gen (40GB) kicking around, are those worth anything to attempt to sell? I was just planning to donate it to a garage sale for the local animal shelter with some other stuff. Hope they can get some bucks for it.

$100+

http://www.ebay.com/csc/i.html?_from=R40&_sacat=0&_nkw=40gb+appletv&LH_Complete=1&rt=nc

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

My 4.4.4 Appletv 2 sold in 4 hours for $220, i kind of wish i had listed it for more now.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

iv46vi posted:

Thanks to this thread just got $200 in cold hard cash fo my atv2. Talk about resale value. Now the question is whether to buy a refurbished atv3 or wait for a new smaller atv. Don't we usually get some sort of entertainment announcement from Apple in February?

Do you use the apple features like itunes and display mirroring? If not then there are cheaper options.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

Secx posted:

I have a jailbroken ATV2 with XBMC.

I want to be give it to my mom so she can watch her Korean dramas. The only problem is that the websites she streams them from use Flash.

Is there a way to AirPlay the flash video from her computer to the ATV?

So far, my research shows that the atv flash black + bluetooth keyboard is the only option.

You should sell the appletv2 for $200+ on ebay and build her a little HTPC.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

vikingstrike posted:

When you guys are selling your ATV2, do you go ahead and jailbreak it after a restore? (I know most are on eBay)

I sold mine as jailbroken and just deleted my xbmc config.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

vikingstrike posted:

Awesome. This is mainly why I was asking: I don't really want to restore then jailbreak again. Other than XBMC type stuff, are there any system files I should trash? Do Home Sharing credentials get stored anywhere after I log out, etc.?

I just logged out of everything and went back in and made sure it didn't show my email address.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

Sell your appletv2 for $200+ and buy a Zotac AD10

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

Bucket Joneses posted:

I plan to replace it with some flavor of Zotac or other nettop, but that's just going to introduce another slew of headaches.

That's the one thing I really like about using the ATV for XBMC; because it's such a basic device there's not really a whole to tweak or futz with. Once I get into OpenELEC/XBMCubuntu/Windows who the gently caress knows what problems I'll run into.

If all you use it for is XBMC then you can use openelec and be up and running in 15-20 minutes.

Bucket Joneses posted:

If your nettop runs Windows8, Netflix should run with no trouble as far as I'm aware (have not personally verified this, though).

Windows 8 netflix app yes, but then you need a mouse to control it with. The silverlight netflix doesn't work on lots of things properly due to silverlights absolute poo poo gpu acceleration.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

Kenderama posted:

I really don't get what the issue is running XBMC on ATV2. I've been doing it for 2 years now without major issues. I have the latest XBMC on the latest iOS, and the only thing it chokes on is wmv files.

Wired network off my Mac Mini fileserver (with drives hooked up via USB) and it plays fine. Perhaps you need a different skin? I know that a lot of the high-shiny-graphic ones make the ATV dog out - but the basic Confluence one works fine.

My biggest issue was that it chokes on 1080p files.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

Kenderama posted:

*nod* Unsurprising since the ATV can only handle 720p anyways.

Yea, its unsurprising, but if you have other xbmc devices in the house and you want 1080p then you gotta have 720p copies for the appletv also.

Don Lapre fucked around with this message at 22:02 on Mar 12, 2013

• Locked thread