Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
EC
Jul 10, 2001

The Legend
If you have an iOS device, you can use AirVideo. There's a server application that you install on your PC, then the app on your iPhone/iPad connects to that and streams videos. You can then AirPlay that to the ATV, assuming it's a recent iOS device.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EC
Jul 10, 2001

The Legend

FCKGW posted:

I don't really like the gui of iOS5 but as long as Plex and/or XBMC work fine I might as well give it a shot.

EDIT: Anyone use ATVFlash? Is it worth it? I'm thinking I'd rather just pay the $30 and have a one shot software for all this stuff.

My father in law uses it, seems to work without having any issues.

EC
Jul 10, 2001

The Legend

echobucket posted:

The Apple TV UI looks fine, is fast, easy to navigate and has cover art. Not sure why I'd need something else that is buggier. (Everytime I've ever used XBMC or Plex on ANY platform, it hasn't been as reliable as the Apple TV built in software)

Watched tags, Set grouping, can sync libraries across multiple devices, much more detailed meta data, more flexibility when it comes to artwork and metadata sources, more choices in skins....I could go on and on. ATV is great if you're 100% invested in the ecosystem, but don't act like XBMC isn't a superior media center in almost every other way*.

*except Netflix

EC
Jul 10, 2001

The Legend

Thwomp posted:

I've always found that XBMC suffers/benefits from too much customization/options (much like Android does). Although both have gotten better of late.

If you want to spend a while tweaking it to look awesome and display information out to wazoo to impress people, go for it.

Do you want it to present everything a bit more simply and spend less time setting stuff up? Apple TV's UI does just fine. it also helps that it's so simple I don't have to worry about explaining how it works to anyone else.

I'll also vote that I enjoyed the aTV Flash Media UI more precisely because it aped Apple's conventions.

I'd argue that XBMC is way, way easier than it used to be nowadays. Set content, let it scan, and it'll do it's thing. You almost never have to edit an XML file! :v:

echobucket posted:

I am using the iOS ecosystem so I don't need XBMC. I don't know what "watched tags" or "set grouping" are. And I use iVI which adds metadata to my m4v files DIRECTLY, and I can customize if I want (but it does a great job in automatic mode).

So don't pretend that the default experience can't be great.

The default ATV interface is great, I just happen to find XBMC much better for my needs. :)

Watched tags let you know what you've watched and what you haven't, making it easier to find your place in a TV series. Set grouping is the ability to group a set of movies together under one item in your library. So instead of scrolling through 20 Friday the 13th movies, there's just one menu item.

EC
Jul 10, 2001

The Legend
That was just a joke, 99.99% of users would never have to touch one.

And good to know iTunes has watched tags.

EC
Jul 10, 2001

The Legend

Diabolik900 posted:

If you're already a customer, I would guess they don't make anything, but I'm pretty sure you can sign up for all these services directly from the Apple TV and Apple certainly gets a cut from that.

This is correct. If you become a subscriber via the app, Apple gets their cut.

EC
Jul 10, 2001

The Legend
I'm looking for a Mac app that I think I read about in this thread. It takes files you've downloaded from SAB and applies metadata to them so they look good in iTunes, I think?

EC
Jul 10, 2001

The Legend

Wario In Real Life posted:

There's a goonmade app for this purpose called "Magic Media Marker".

It works pretty well but I have no idea if it's currently updated.

Thanks! My father-in-law might be able to use it.

EC
Jul 10, 2001

The Legend
If I remember right, there's an entry you can make in the advancedsetting.xml file that can increase it. You should be able to find it (and where to create the file) on the XBMC wiki.

EC
Jul 10, 2001

The Legend

Feenix posted:

Thanks, good info. :)

I guess my last question would just be...
all this talk of activating Bluetooth and possible apps, is this most likely JUST on the ATV3 or would that be on the ATV2 as well, perhaps?

(if we even know...)

There's no way to know, but if they did it I doubt the ATV2 would be fully supported. I'm just dude From The Internet, so my opinion doesn't really matter, but it makes sense given how old the unit is now. I'm planning on selling mine on ebay while the price is good, as I don't really need it right now.

EC
Jul 10, 2001

The Legend
Chek out Metropolis as well, it's pretty lightweight if you stick to simpler view types (also, if the skin supports it, disable view types that you don't use).

EC
Jul 10, 2001

The Legend

Mr. Nice! posted:

Mine ATV3 does full surround on everything I've watched. I've got it hooked to the TV through HDMI and then the TV to the receiver via an optical cable.

That's weird because most TVs don't support full surround using the optical output.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EC
Jul 10, 2001

The Legend
I don't think I've ever had the twitch app work on any of my devices even once. I was using it mainly for push alerts to notify me someone was streaming, and even that has gotten hosed up recently. I get 4-5 alerts at the same time now, even if only one of the people are actually streaming.

But yes, an ATV makes it easy to stream video to your TV from your iOS device.

• Locked thread