Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Dogen
May 5, 2002

Bury my body down by the highwayside, so that my old evil spirit can get a Greyhound bus and ride
These things are like old people technology catnip. My dad is never impressed by anything, but somehow being able to just watch trailers (let alone movies) from any movie he can think of from his childhood has blown his mind.

We actually bought it for my mom for Christmas and he not only uses it way more than her, but he has already bought one as a gift for one of his employees.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Bury my body down by the highwayside, so that my old evil spirit can get a Greyhound bus and ride
I had a Sammy DLP from 2003 and it had HDCP over HDMI and DVI.

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Moeru posted:

I like it better how it actually is. Less space locally to lose by watching a ton of different shows. I'll be picking one up soon and moving 100% to digital download rather than buying DVD\Blu-ray of things

Make sure you don't have automatically download purchases turned on in itunes or any of your devices or they'll download stuff you get on your atv, if you are worried about space.

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Moeru posted:

I'm not that worried about space but thanks for the warning. I do need to turn that off

I think it's off by default anyway, you have to have turned it on in iTunes/on each individual iDevice.

Dogen
May 5, 2002

I think it's pretty well established that is more a business problem than technology problem, I would think if they ever worked out a deal it would get added in pretty fast

Dogen
May 5, 2002

gooby on rails posted:

I wonder if there will be any obstacles to full screening the Hulu web player and airplaying it to your TV. DVD Player disables the screenshot command so there's some sort of DRM respecting system built into the OS.

I think mirroring is up to the content provider. I'm not at home to check right now, but I want to say you can mirror netflix and not mirror hulu off an ipad/iphone, so I'm thinking Hulu is playing some role in this. I would think you could probably mirror off your mac just fullscreening safari, though?

Dogen
May 5, 2002

I was thinking of airplay because I am stupid :doh:

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Voodoo posted:

I'm a dummy and didn't think to look for "feature specific requirements" for mirror AirPlay. Looks like my mid-2010 i7 just barely didn't make the cut. :(

There's a difference between mirror and just airplay, and I think if someone's trying to just airplay movies to the ATV as the poster above, it's fine. Although since mirror is the new feature here, maybe that is what they meant. WHO KNOWS

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Akuma posted:

Nope, you're not doing anything wrong. That's just how it works.

This it the number one thing that has pissed me off about my PS3 breaking, not being unable to play PS3 games. It really has the best netflix client.

Dogen
May 5, 2002

What's airplay from iCloud :raise:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dogen
May 5, 2002

If we successfully installed it the first go round, is there a patch or anything?

• Locked thread