Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

cbirdsong posted:

I taught the Apple TV how to listen to our receiver remote, so it's okay when the tiny slippery remote disappears for a couple weeks: http://support.apple.com/en-us/HT3296

Oh my god, how did I not know this was a thing? Just taught it the media buttons on my Sony TV remote since I never use the built in media stuff anyway. Amazingly convenient, thanks!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

OK so -- the Netflix app *really* needs a smaller skip-ahead increment. It's either I take my luck with the janky, laggy FF button, or I skip way too far forward, either way I have no good options to skip past a TV show's opening creds.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Kevyn posted:

Is Netflix being really slow for anyone else? For the past few days it seems to take several minutes for the movie to start after selecting it. It just sits on that loading icon for like 3-5 minutes.

Totally anecdotal: I had an issue with this, but it turned out to be the unblock-us netflix dns proxy I was using. Switched back to google DNS and it fixed everything.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

I keep my Roku around for Plex, other than that all my viewing is on my AppleTV.

I might be tempted to switch more of my viewing to Roku but they absolutely refuse to implement an auto-off feature like my AppleTV has, so if I fall asleep with nothing playing my TV will never auto-off.

I suspect I might also be more tempted to switch to Roku if I had a more robust local library of videos. Right now I just have my Simpsons DVDs encoded, and ... that's pretty much it.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

I can't believe that no Canadian channels have jumped on the AppleTV live watch bandwagon.

Actually wait, the opposite of that.

I can and do believe it.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Anecdotally, a streetcar outside my apartment honked its horn a few nights ago and that somehow triggered "hey siri" so I have no idea..

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

That aside, I use my AppleTV so much that I'll probably make the new one a day-one purchase.

CEC would be amazing. "Hey Siri, turn on my TV and let's watch the Jays game"

Really excited about the appstore, butI'm expecting that the functionality would be limited though. I'd love for Sonos to write some kind of AppleTV-based Siri controller but somehow I doubt that'll happen any time soon.

some kinda jackal fucked around with this message at 21:32 on Aug 30, 2015

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

At $150US it'll probably be a day one purchase for me. At $200 it may not be, but will likely be under my TV sooner rather than later once App store details are released. It'll all depend on what the Canadian prices are, though. at a $150 price point it'll probably be like $200CDN here anyway, and after taxes and things its basically going to be a $230 gadget. That's IF it starts at 150US. It'll be kind of a tough pill to swallow any higher.

I only use my Roku for Plex so if they can get Plex on this bad boy then it'll be worth the money for me not to have two remote controls lying around.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

sellouts posted:

What do you expect this to do? If you're already in the plex ecosystem, isn't that independent of the apple ecosystem minus poo poo like Apple Music?

If the box is stupid powerful that's one thing but I just don't understand why anyone would buy one of these day one based on price point alone. I don't see any huge exclusive features. Especially for those using a media management server like Plex.

For me it would just be a good way to consolidate my Roku's functionality into my AppleTV. 90% of my media is live streamed through NFL/MLB/NHL/Youtube AppleTV apps and Netflix, then I have a tiny media library (read: like 5 or 6 tv shows I ripped from DVDs) that aren't available on Netflix and I watch on my Roku using Plex. I'm kind of a minimalist at heart so I hate doubling up on gadgets when one will do, so my plan in the long term is to ditch the Roku and PS4 and just live with my AppleTV. I think my whole "day one purchase" point was less that I'm excited to get it on day one (though I probably will, I'm an eager early adopter) but at a certain price point it gets harder to justify. Maybe I should have said that it'll be a day one purchase for me unless the price is prohibitive because I'm a gadget freak :)

I'm actually not in the Apple ecosystem at ALL other than Apple Music. I listen to my music on my Sonos (Google Play subscription) not AppleTV. I haven't ever purchased a TV show or movie off the itunes store. To be honest I just prefer the AppleTV's UI and the fact that it goes to sleep and lets my TV auto-off after a certain amount of time, rather than the Roku which insists user are too stupid and would get confused by a timer sleep function. I prefer the look and functionality of the AppleTV vs the Roku (for example).

Once Apple Music is integrated into the AppleTV I'll actually be happy since it'll be the only way to stream it to my Sonos until Sonos gets official Apple Music integration.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Super Dude posted:

I'm not sure how you can replace your PS4 with an AppleTV since one is primarily a game console and the other is primarily a media streaming platform. Unless you don't play games on your PS4, then I have no idea why you own one.

I don't play games on it, it's collecting dust, and I'm getting rid of it. I only threw it in there because it's another alternative to video streaming that I'm giving up.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Really hoping two things, both Plex related:

- Plex app is actually approved and up on the AppleTV app store ASAP
- Siri search is expandable to other apps, so you could theoretically search a Plex library using Siri.

I suppose worst case for #1 is that you could sideload Plex with a $99/yr dev account, but that would be a super last resort. I'd probably stick with my Roku for Plex at that point.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

The 4K thing raises eyebrows for me in the same way that it did when Apple sold an ATV that only did 720p until like 2012.. The pessimistic side of me just thinks it's planned obsolescence because I can't come up with a good reason it wasn't included, but who knows.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

So I'm guessing the Canadian price will be $200. Seems like the price for some other items maps directly in a $ for $ conversion so $150US is ~$200CDN.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Triglav posted:

Anecdotal, but I really have a hard time believing the planned obsolescence talk when the Apple stuff I buy greatly outlives anything else my friends and family buy.

Some years ago I bought a MacBook Pro and an iPhone 3G. I just installed El Capitan on that MacBook Pro, and two years ago I replaced the iPhone 3G with an iPhone 5S. The iPhone 5S runs iOS 9 just as good as the iOS 7 it came with. The chip's still speedy, the display's still great, it's still got Touch ID, it still runs every app I throw at it, there's simply no reason to upgrade beyond camera lust, Apple Pay, and that new 3D Touch stuff I've lived however many years without.

I particularly remember hearing about planned obsolescence with Air Drop, Airplay, and Apple Pay, but it's hard to do stuff like that when the required chips physically don't exist.

Right, but in two years nobody will say "Well the 2015 AppleTV plays 4k as well as the 2017 AppleTV so there's no reason to upgrade". That's the type of "planned obsolescence" I meant. Feature obsolescence, I guess?

IMHO I am just guessing that 4k and buttonless "Hey Siri" will be on the block for the next revision.

Don't get me wrong: I have Yosemite running on a 2007-era iMac at work and aside from some beachballing here and there it runs just fine. I don't think planned obsolescence hits everywhere, but in some major ways I do think it hits.

some kinda jackal fucked around with this message at 23:08 on Sep 12, 2015

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

You know honestly it might not, but then again it's probably possible to tune the hardware to actually play 4K sufficiently well given that the hardware is basically geared toward a single task.

We'll never know, but I imagine that the new one will get a new chip so it's pointless to try to figure out anyway ;)

I guess what I mean is that if Apple really wanted they could have thrown a better chip in there for 4K, but they decided to keep the price point down to not do so right now. The lack of general 4K content and the rate of adoption of 4K displays means they have probably a year or two to make a device plenty capable of 4K and ensure more return sales down the road.

I don't think that 4K was left out specifically to ensure more sales, no. But I also think that if they really wanted to add 4K they could have.

some kinda jackal fucked around with this message at 00:07 on Sep 13, 2015

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

XyrlocShammypants posted:

As someone growing up in the 80s, I look at these ultra HD TVs and think it looks loving horrible. Am I alone here?

As someone who did the same, I have no idea what you're talking about. Do you mean the high definition ruins your viewing experience or what?

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

japtor posted:

Any clue on whether sideloading on the Apple TV will be possible like with iOS and the new Xcode? (...unless they pulled that feature without saying anything)

Don't think anyone knows yet, but people should start to get their dev units before TOO long so I guess we'll find out then.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

I have a hard time imagining that ATV3 won't get Apple Music and a UI (style) refresh to match tvOS but that's probably it.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

To be honest I'd rather have a fair shot at being considered for a dev unit than having Apple guess that I'm ineligible because I haven't developed something that would "fit" on an AppleTV before. I think what they did was pretty fair.

Also maybe this is just my cynical view but I don't think Apple sees it to be in their best interests to help Plex establish themselves on the AppleTV. I mean they will regardless, but essentially it's just another media player that gives people options other than iTunes/Netflix. There's really no reason to help them from a business perspective other than goodwill, which would have been nice but whatever.

Speaking of Plex -- your days are numbered, living room roku :argh:

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Yeah I suppose that's true. At any rate, I'm just happy it's coming :haw:

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

OldSenileGuy posted:

So did Apple omit any mention of HomeKit connectivity because ATV doesn't have it, or just because there aren't a lot of HomeKit devices out yet?

If I ask Siri on my phone to turn the lights on, she says there aren't any connected (hopefully this will change soon). What will she say if I ask her on ATV?

"OK, I found Friday Night Lights on Netflix."

I'm still hoping AppleTV5 has an always-on mic. Feel like HomeKit would be more useful if I didn't have to find a controller to talk into first.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Man maybe it's my phone then but the appleTV remote app is pretty buggy in my experience. I've had it start typing and then it just constantly repeats (on screen) what I've already typed as if it's trying to sync the text but not clear what was there already. It's hard to articulate since I pretty much gave up on the remote app but I'll have to try to capture the problem now. Used to be really prevalent when I last used the remote a while back.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Is the ATV going on pre-order on Monday across other countries too, or is it just USA? I presume it's worldwide but somehow I'm always worried that Canada is going to get some kind of weird release schedule.

Basically I want to wake up on Monday, pay Apple $200+ and get an ATV Friday or next week or something.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

I'm probably going to go with the 32. I have a 16gb phone and I only now found myself in a space crunch because of photos. I don't plan to take many photos with the AppleTV so I figure 32 should be fine.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Those are glorified front-ends to a website anyway. TVML is going to make doing poo poo like that super easy.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

I'm hoping ATV5 has a built in mic, or can use another iOS device as a "hey siri" relay. I know active mics can be a problem if they pick up unwanted stuff, but my house is mostly quiet and I'd like to imagine they could find a way to make it less or unresponsive while TV is playing to minimize interference.

I'd love to be all "Hey siri, where's the remote?" and have it beep or something. I could see myself using Hey Siri to initiate playback and then use the remote to control from there. Could be clumsy but you never know.

edit: Actually if there was a way to just use an iOS device as a siri satellite that would be ideal and well within reason for an ATV4 OS upgrade, even.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

I'm gonna set an alarm for 2 anyway because I like to feel like I'm excited about something in my life :smith:

C'mon Apple, give my life some purpose.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Hey Apple, let me give you my money already :|

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Ordered the 32 as well. Extra shipping wasn't even an option for my address (Toronto, residential) :(

Oh well, I've waited this long I can wait a little more.

• Locked thread