Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
So I was pointed to AirVideo Server Beta (for my Mac) to stream & convert mkvs to my ATV2. (to replace PS3Media Server streaming and transcoding MKVs to my PS3)

I have AirVideo Server (the latest release) and an ATV2. I'm just not sure what I need to do... I downloaded some other app, AirFlick... which supposedly works in tandem between my Mac (Air Video Server) and my ATV2... but I'm just a bit lost as to how it all goes together.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.

Laserface posted:

pretty certain you need airvideo on an iDevice, then airplay to the Atv.

Oh sorry... apparently there's an app that has removed that need, called AirFlick. I have that too... but I can't seem to get that to work either...

http://download.cnet.com/AirFlick/3000-2378_4-75330533.html

[edit] but I just bought the mobile app and will try that now..

[edit again] Passed it off from my phone to my ATV2 (Convert&Stream) and it works nicely but it kinda looks like poo poo? Real jaggedy.

[edit again again...] I saw a slider scale in the iphone app... made it look a wee bit better...

Feenix fucked around with this message at 04:30 on Oct 3, 2012

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
So I have an ATV2. I jailbroke it about a year ago, messed around with putting a Weather widget on it, put XBMC on it, which ran like stuttery dog-poo.

As I sit here (with a now unjailbroken ATV2) I wonder if I should sell it on Ebay and get an ATV3 for the 1080p.

I guess my question is, did the reasons/features/cool aspects of jailbreaking an ATV2 improve over the last year?

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
Thanks, good info. :)

I guess my last question would just be...
all this talk of activating Bluetooth and possible apps, is this most likely JUST on the ATV3 or would that be on the ATV2 as well, perhaps?

(if we even know...)

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
Yeah I realize it was a dumb question for me to ask here, I guess the better question would have been if the WiFi chipset on the ATV2 also had some kind of dormant Bluetooth.

But I agree with you, I think I don't really need anything particularly JB-worthy out of my ATV2 and will probably ebay it.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
Admittedly, I haven't used eBay much in my life, when I posted my AppleTV yesterday, it suggested I would attract more buyers by making my starting bid 99 dollars. (So I did.)

It's been 1 day and I have 1 bid for 99 dollars. My assumption is that a lot of bidding activity happens near the end of the auction. Let's hope so... :)

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
Pretty sure...

?

But who knows now...
:)

(Edit) actually very sure since it auto filled it for me...

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.

einTier posted:

The other question is, how much feedback do you have, particularly as a seller?

I know a lot of people don't want to take a risk on someone with no history of selling or using eBay. Maybe you'll get something at a discount, but you might lose your money entirely too.

On big ticket items, it's a difficult risk to take.

I've sold about 15 items in my life and 100% positive rating with a score of (7) whatever that means.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.

Elysium posted:

Ok so let me know if I'm understanding this correctly before I buy an AppleTV:

If I want to stream video from my PC downstairs to my TV upstairs, the files have to be in .mp4 format, and they have to be imported into itunes?

Otherwise I have to use airvideo to double stream to airplay? How does that affect video quality/buffering time?

You mean like using AirVideo Server and your phone to throw it up on the ATV? I've done that quite a bit and it works beautifully. It probably all comes down to your house's bandwidth and your computer's processing power, I'm sure...

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.

einTier posted:

It will increase in value as the deadline for the auction comes up. Most things don't really start to escalate until about 24 hours before they end.

Your feedback will hurt you slightly, though. Generally, you want 10+ feedback as a seller before selling anything. A good way to do this is to buy a bunch of cheap stuff on eBay, then turn around and resell it. Make sure to leave feedback and hound your customers to make sure they leave it for you.

Solid advice. Thanks. For what it's worth I am up to 172.50 with 4 hours to go. :) (Even if it sold right now I'd be able to get a brand new ATV3 + a nice dinner.)

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
I don't believe ATV3 is JB-able, I don't believe that site.

The people I trust are saying 6.1 will come for ATV as well, (enabling BT Keyboard access) but that ATV3 will not be Jailbreakable.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
Just a final update to close out this saga: I got $177.50 (before shipping) for my ATV2 on Ebay.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
Got my ATV3 today. Updated, and BT keyboard works a treat. (Navigation *and* text entry)

One question though, when I do AirPlay, my iPhone now lists:
iPhone
Apple TV
Apple TV(2) <- The new one

Is there a way I can make my iphone etc... forget the old AppleTV?

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
When I started up my ATV3 and turned on the TV I heard Siri telling me some poo poo (at the setup screen) but I didn't really catch what she said.

Is Siri on the ATV3?? Or was that just a pre-recorded help text for setup?

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
poo poo man, I guess I'd better return that drat ATV3 I just bought...

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
An Apple spokesperson spoke to The Next Web about the new Apple TV model disclosed in FCC filings yesterday.

The company explained that the changes are strictly internal, and there won't be any new features or other changes. The Next Web is also reporting that the new Apple TV will use Apple's A5X processor from the third-generation iPad, and an upgraded Broadcom BCM4334 wireless chip, as was reported last night. The external size of the device will also remain the same.

Guess that answers that. I shall stand down.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
What the fresh hell is Super HD?

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
The HBO GO app just has a non-reactive airplay button/icon when I press it. How disappointing. :(

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.

Turnquiet posted:

What was the name of that one app that takes xvid and converts them to mp4? It has a simple name like xvidtomp4, but all my searches are taking me to skeezy corners of the web.

On a Mac you can use MP4Tools.. It works in a fraction of the time handbrake does.

On a pc, MKV2VOB?

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.

Star War Sex Parrot posted:

MP4Tools will still have to reencode xvid to put it into an m4v container, so it shouldn't save much (if any) time.

Maybe. Alls I know is that in the instances I've used mp4tools it's been minutes, and when I use handbrake it's usually hours...

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.

Star War Sex Parrot posted:

Sure, if you're remuxing from h.264 inside an MKV container. That simply grabs the h.264 video stream and drops it into an M4V. If he's coming from Xvid he has no choice but to reencode, which MP4Tools will actually do a worse job of since I've found its x264 settings less than ideal.

I keep and use Handbrake, MP4Tools, and Subler for conversion purposes since none of them are jack-of-all-trades.

Fair point! Didn't think of all that.... :)

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
Oooooh awesome! Unfortunately I'm kind of old and dumb when it comes to poo poo like this.

So PlexConnect is an app you install on your mac or whatever first? I downloaded a zip off the github link but it just looks like a bunch of python scripts and the like...

WHAT DOES I DO?

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
Confused a bit about Plex Media Server. It's auto-looking in my Mac's "Movies" folder, but where on earth can I change where Plex Media Server finds it's file/library? All my stuff is in another folder. How do I point it to that directory??

[edit] While I'm at it, I set everything up per instructions and when I go to Trailers on ATV3, it thinks then says "PlexConnect No Response from Plex Media Server"

Not sure where I might have gone wrong...
- Resolved with a reboot.

First question above still stands. Also, if I close terminal, it kills the Python script. Is there any way to detach it or whatever, and also a script or something that can run that script on a boot up?

Feenix fucked around with this message at 21:21 on Jun 4, 2013

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.

The instructions for getting this on ATV3 nonjailbroken reference Plex media Server. I downloaded that. It's a web-app. Doesn't seem to look/act anything like what you linked looks like. Can I download an actual "app" for mac? (I'm not a fan of Web Apps.)

[edit]

I actually found where to do it in the Web App. :) However now my general questions are:

1) Do I have to use the Webapp? If it crashes or I reboot I have to restart it. Do they have a standalone Plex OSX App that can still do what the PMS web app is doing to ATV3?

2) Is there any way to set up an auto-run script (at login) for PlexConnect.py?

Feenix fucked around with this message at 21:51 on Jun 4, 2013

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
I know this isnt really the Plex help thread but since we're all sorta talking about this new thing... anyone know why sometimes (or always, now...) when I load the Mac web app dealie it just hangs? Seriously it acts like it's loading but just doesn't do anything. Just a white empty web page. It worked fine an hour ago.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
Do we yet know if that Apple Trailers Plex tweak still works after updating to get HBOGO?

Do you have to re-enter the info on your ATV?

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.

Voodoo posted:

Well drat, Charter doesn't allow HBOGo via AppleTV. Guess I just have to stick with AirPlay for the time being. That's annoying. At least ESPN works.

Did you have to redo anything?

Oops sorry that was meant for the guy who upgraded and still used Plex...

Feenix fucked around with this message at 05:55 on Jun 20, 2013

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
Any of you fine folks with ATV3 & PlexConnect:

I was bummed slightly to realize that this Plex hack kinda removes Trailers. (I like Trailers!) But then found that PlexConnect has a "channel" you can add for Apple Trailers.
I can see all the trailers, read their descriptions, but when I go to play them I just get the spinny loading dial thingy.

Anyone else? Thoughts? Does this channel just not work?

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
So that whole unjailbroken Plex connect hack has been working amazing for me since its discovery.

I watched something an hour ago and now it won't connect. It just spins "accessing trailers" and then fails after about 3 min.

I've rebooted both Plex media server and my ATV3. No dice.

I just even tried to launch Hulu Plus and it took like 5 min of "Accessing Hulu Us" but did eventually (slowly) load.

Any ideas?

My Internet is fine, from what I can see.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
No, because I'm clearly an idiot. I'll go try that now.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
I killed all the Python junk in Activity Monitor and then re-ran the script and I get an error in Terminal about address already in use at port 53 or some poo poo... No loving idea. Worked fine an hour ago. :(

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
Man I really love the Plex Connect thingy but I swear every couple of days it just stops working and I have to reboot my Mac and re-kick-off the process in terminal.

Anyone else experiencing similar and/or have any ideas for a solution?

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
I just go to Trailers and it spins on "Accessing Trailers" for 5 solid minutes before failing.

I try rerunning the script on Terminal and it says that it can't connect port is already in use.

Wherein I've gone into Activity Monitor and killed all python stuff related to it. Usually at that point I just reboot.

Oftentimes this also has hbogo, Netflix and Hulu unresponsive. Although last night, it was JUST Trailers/Plex and doing a "Restart" on my ATV3 seemed to fix it...

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
Just a couple points, to clarify:

1) I do use Sudo because I'm still kind of a Terminal noob, so I copy and paste from the install guide. ;)

2) It says "Accessing Trailers" with the spinny thing after clicking Trailers on the main dashboard of ATV. So it's not likely a metadata/single file thing. It's not even "connecting" to Plex at all.

That said, this time, full-restarting (not sleep now) my ATV3 helped. But it's happened before and affected Netflix and HBOGO and Hulu, so it made me wonder if the port was an issue or it lost connection since I'm routing all that network traffic through my mac, right?

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
I use a detach command so that Terminal doesn't have to remain open. I'll leave it open next time to see what happens... :)

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.

geera posted:

You might also try starting a screen session and running it there, and then closing the terminal. It'll continue running in the background under the emulated screen console. Just run "screen" and then start PlexConnect like normal, and then you can close terminal. Sometimes scripts freak out if the standard output (in this case your terminal window) disappears on them.

Run "screen -r" in a new terminal window to re-attach to your screen session if you need to check PlexConnect. Ctrl+A followed by ? will show you the command help screen.

Like I said above, I'm a bit of a Terminal greenhorn. That said, I think I *am* running in Screen, as that's the only way I ever use Ctrl-A, Ctrl-D.

cd /applications/<Plexconnectfolderdirectory>
screen
sudo <blah blah>
password:
(let it load up)
Ctrl A, Ctrl D

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
DO NOT loving UPDATE TO LATEST. Breaks Plex connect loophole!

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
Sure except the last update or two didn't affect it, so it's worth letting folks know to avoid it now.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.

Dromio posted:

Someone already found a workaround -- see http://langui.sh/2013/08/27/appletv-ssl-plexconnect/. Need an osx machine to be able to inject a self-signed cert on the appletv.

Even though I'm always a bit daft at this type of stuff, I'm doing ok. However I'm at the part after it has me download a new fork of Plex Connect and says I need to alter settings.cfg file. but the new fork folder doesn't seem to contain that. Just a settings.py.

[edit] Ok I figured out how to get the cfg file. You run: sudo ./PlexConnect.py and it generates one. I altered it (it would only let me make a duplicate) using Textedit, and saved it by changing to to settings.cfg (and getting rid of the original)

but this is the error I am getting when I actually TRY it:

raise NoOptionError(option, section)
NoOptionError: No option 'port_ssl' in section: 'PlexConnect'
19:56:43 PlexConnect: WebServer not alive. Shutting down.
19:56:43 PlexConnect: Shutting down.
19:56:48 DNSServer: Shutting down.
19:56:48 PlexConnect: shutdown

I am wondering, can I not make a cfg by saving a txt in textedit and then just renaming it? What should I use then?

Feenix fucked around with this message at 03:59 on Aug 28, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
I made the cfg file using bbedit. All seemed well. Everything is plugged back in and running however I still just get "Trailers is unavailable. Try again later."

I followed the instructions to a T.

• Locked thread