Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
FishBulb
Mar 29, 2003

Marge, I'd like to be alone with the sandwich for a moment.

Are you going to eat it?

...yes...
There was a thread about that in TVIV called, I think 'Cutting the Cable' or something like that. I don't remember if it was super informative or more of a casual 'hey I did this' discussion though. Anyways, more resources are always good, I've been thinking about getting rid of cable when I move back home here in a couple months.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FishBulb
Mar 29, 2003

Are you going to eat it?

...yes...

MrEnigma posted:

This might be known already, but it seems that Apple TV 2 units are going for $140-160 on ebay/amazon. Must be because you can jailbreak them.

I don't care about jail breaking much (have a boxes for anything like that), and wanted 1080p, so I upgraded and made $50.

Wow the gen 1s are selling for way more than I expected too. Hmmm I've been wanting a new one...

FishBulb
Mar 29, 2003

Are you going to eat it?

...yes...
That seems like a lot of work to me, Id rather just have a 99 dollar 1080p streaming box.

FishBulb
Mar 29, 2003

Are you going to eat it?

...yes...

ZShakespeare posted:

If you don't mind running your poo poo through handbrake (what I do), or getting your content from iTunes/NetFlix, it's a really good device.

Thats what I do now on my ATV 1st gen. I was just surprised they held as much value as they have.

FishBulb
Mar 29, 2003

Are you going to eat it?

...yes...
I don't know about being blocked on mobile but some shows are blocked on Xbox which are available on the website, might be similar for ATV.

FishBulb
Mar 29, 2003

Are you going to eat it?

...yes...

Mister Fister posted:

Yeah i sold my ATV2 for $160... is there any reason why the ATV3 can't be jailbroken?

They havent figured out how to do it yet.

FishBulb
Mar 29, 2003

Are you going to eat it?

...yes...

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

Does anyone know when do episodes go up online for anything you have a Season Pass? Say the show airs at 9pm is it a specific time after or sometime the next day?

I think it varies by show/network

FishBulb
Mar 29, 2003

Are you going to eat it?

...yes...
I just sold my Apple TV first gen for 81 dollars on Ebay.

I should have upgraded a long time ago, I guess people really want to jailbreak them?

FishBulb
Mar 29, 2003

Are you going to eat it?

...yes...

Thwomp posted:

By first gen, do you mean the Apple TV that came with a hard drive?

Because I don't think those got the current AppleTV menu/features/OS

Yeah 40 gb one. They don't get the newer menu stuff no (I actually slightly prefer the menu layout on the old one, "my movies" was nicer than "computer->my movies") but I guess the ability to jailbreak them is worth a lot to some people.

FishBulb
Mar 29, 2003

Are you going to eat it?

...yes...
AirPlay mirroring with my iPad (2) sucks. It's great with my iPhone 5. Is this just because of hardware and poo poo or something I can fix?

FishBulb
Mar 29, 2003

Are you going to eat it?

...yes...

Localhobo4u posted:

Not that I have seen.

I am very excited at the rumours of apps for the ATV. iOS apps on it and bluetooth keyboard and mouse support would be awsome.

This confused me because I didn't think the ATV had bluetooth so I googled it and I had no idea bluetooth was the kind of thing you could enable in a firmware update.

FishBulb
Mar 29, 2003

Are you going to eat it?

...yes...

mediaphage posted:

Well, only if the hardware were already there. It would be like shipping something with the Wi-Fi turned off, then you "enable" it via a software update.

Yeah obviously I just never realized the hardware was there because why would it be and not be turned on?

FishBulb
Mar 29, 2003

Are you going to eat it?

...yes...

Laserface posted:

They just need to jailbreak the v3 so it can be useful to anyone who doesnt buy into using everything in itunes.

I know there is ways around it but I want to have a seamless experience rather than incorporating another device into the mix to stream things from a computer on the same network.

If you don't want to use iTunes why not buy one of the 40 other set top boxes that can stream things? I'm just honestly curious not trying to be snarky.

FishBulb
Mar 29, 2003

Are you going to eat it?

...yes...
I sold an Apple TV 1 for 85 bucks on eBay. Pretty sweet. I never jail broke it or anything (don't even know if you can). Seemed too good to be true.

FishBulb
Mar 29, 2003

Are you going to eat it?

...yes...

Feenix posted:

Admittedly, I haven't used eBay much in my life, when I posted my AppleTV yesterday, it suggested I would attract more buyers by making my starting bid 99 dollars. (So I did.)

It's been 1 day and I have 1 bid for 99 dollars. My assumption is that a lot of bidding activity happens near the end of the auction. Let's hope so... :)

It does but are you sure they didn't suggest 99 cents?

FishBulb
Mar 29, 2003

Are you going to eat it?

...yes...

Feenix posted:

poo poo man, I guess I'd better return that drat ATV3 I just bought...

What you don't have more than 1 TV you can use the second one on?

FishBulb
Mar 29, 2003

Are you going to eat it?

...yes...
Yeah anyone that is going to pay 200 bucks for an obsolete piece of 100 dollar electronics is going to know how to do whatever it is they want to do it. They aren't relying on you to do it for them. Heck, they might have something more specific in mind anyways (I have no idea what that would be in this case just saying)

FishBulb
Mar 29, 2003

Are you going to eat it?

...yes...
Probably a minor spec bump. Maybe some storage for apps?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FishBulb
Mar 29, 2003

Are you going to eat it?

...yes...

Feenix posted:

How do you not have like 8 billion of each kind of micro & mini usb?

Every time I move a piece of furniture in my house I find another one...

• Locked thread