Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Voodoo
Jun 3, 2003

m2sbr what
Is there a trick to getting WatchESPN to play over AirPlay *without* using mirroring? I swear I had it working at one point, but now every time I send the stream to AppleTV, the audio works fine (stereo), but the video is still on the iPad. My ATV3 has been updated and other apps stream video just fine.

edit: looks like someone on MacRumors emailed ESPN and:

quote:

Hello,
Thank you for reporting this issue to us.
I apologize for the frustration. We are aware of the issue and working to resolve it as quickly as possible. We appreciate your continued patience and understanding.
drat.

Voodoo fucked around with this message at 20:14 on Jun 9, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Voodoo
Jun 3, 2003

m2sbr what
C'mon Apple, Daddy needs WatchESPN and HBOGo apps ASAP!

Voodoo
Jun 3, 2003

m2sbr what

puppy party posted:

I was very excited at the idea of picking up Mountain Lion today so that I can push movies straight from my iMac to my ATV3. However, I'm reading that AirPlay won't work on any macs without a Sandy Bridge processor... which sucks as I have an early '09 Mac.
I'm a dummy and didn't think to look for "feature specific requirements" for mirror AirPlay. Looks like my mid-2010 i7 just barely didn't make the cut. :(

Voodoo
Jun 3, 2003

m2sbr what

Dogen posted:

There's a difference between mirror and just airplay, and I think if someone's trying to just airplay movies to the ATV as the poster above, it's fine. Although since mirror is the new feature here, maybe that is what they meant. WHO KNOWS
Whoops yeah, I meant mirroring over AirPlay (the new feature), mostly for network tv-site streaming, ESPN3, etc. The sites that it would be nice to have regular ol' aTV apps for.

Voodoo
Jun 3, 2003

m2sbr what

Dr. McReallysweet posted:

I'm disappointed that my 2010 mbp cant airplay to my atv and would like a solution. I was lurking the hackintosh thread and they say if you spoof a few things you can get it working but I'm not sure you can actually spoof anything on an actual mac. Also if I have to, I'll settle for 3rd party. Is airparrot any good?
AirParrot has a time trial that you can test out yourself and see how it works. Personally it wasn't fast enough for me (streaming espn3), so I ended up going back to the old DVI-to-HDMI setup that I had going on.

Voodoo
Jun 3, 2003

m2sbr what
Watching WatchESPN mirrored is so ugly compared to the brief time that app supported AirPlay.

Voodoo
Jun 3, 2003

m2sbr what
Streaming video directly from a computer to an aTV (without itunes) is the killer app that makes jailbreaking so appealing.

I personally use Air Video to go PC->iPad->aTV, but I'm sure there a ton of other programs out there that do the same thing.

Voodoo
Jun 3, 2003

m2sbr what

ComradeCosmobot posted:

So a new AppleTV is in the offing. I wonder why. It doesn't really seem like it needed a redesign (or new internal hardware for that matter)...

Well, unless we actually are getting Siri on an AppleTV for some reason :v:
I bet everyone is looking forward to being able to play all that 4k content on their aTV. :rolleyes: Ultimately if it leads to aTV apps, then, "Yes please!" But if it's just for 3D content on iTunes or something, bleh.

Voodoo
Jun 3, 2003

m2sbr what
Well drat, Charter doesn't allow HBOGo via AppleTV. Guess I just have to stick with AirPlay for the time being. That's annoying. At least ESPN works.

Voodoo
Jun 3, 2003

m2sbr what
I feel like the twitch.tv iPad app is a little bit more stable than the iPhone one. The iPhone is trash that constantly stutters and crashes. I can actually watch stuff for a decent length of time using the iPad airplaying to aTV.

Voodoo
Jun 3, 2003

m2sbr what

101 posted:

My update messed up and it wants me to plug it into iTunes. What cable does it need?
It's just a MicroUSB cable isn't it? Should be the same cable as a Kindle if you have one of those.

Voodoo
Jun 3, 2003

m2sbr what
It was annoying when WatchABC recently shifted to requiring a television subscription login to watch stuff on the aTV app. I get ABC live for free OTA, so why the heck should I need to login if I want to episodes of shows that I can watch online via an iPad for free *without* logging in (watching live on the ipad requires login). It's they've taken one-step forward by releasing an aTV app) then two-steps backwards (requiring login to watch free(w/commericals) stuff).

Voodoo
Jun 3, 2003

m2sbr what

Akuma posted:

Oh my god has anybody else found AirPlay to be a total chore from iOS 8 devices? What the gently caress did they do that for? I find that half the time I can't even get it to start working (when I select my AppleTV from the list it hangs for a while and then exits the menu with nothing selected) and it almost never works if I'm already watching a video on the phone when I start AirPlay.

God, it was so easy before. Makes me glad I still have an iOS 6 device knocking around to do all my AirPlaying from because it just sucks from my iPhone 5C.
Interesting. My wife has been complaining recently about our iPad 4 not recognizing the AppleTV as quickly (or at all), and I never made the iOS8 connection. The issue certainly lines up time-wise. That's annoying.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Voodoo
Jun 3, 2003

m2sbr what
HBO Now is great and all, but I was really hoping for an ATV4.

• Locked thread