Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ZShakespeare
Jul 20, 2003

The devil can cite Scripture for his purpose!

Shmoogy posted:

My macbook air is wireless, and apple tv is wired and it's not good for video. Pretty okay for anything except movies/games, which doesn't leave very much use for me. Hoping the one in mountain lion is better optimized.

I have the same experience. I was hoping to play games on the big screen, but the frame rate was just too low.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ZShakespeare
Jul 20, 2003

Puddin posted:

I'm looking at getting an ATV2 for XBMC (being a little hard to find however, all I can find are ATV3's) to replace my old xbox running XBMC. I know there's no jailbreak in sight for the ATV3.

Having no other Apple products, is there any other streaming software that will allow me to simply stream media from my pc?

Your only real option is to pre–convert your videos using something like handbrake and then stream them from iTunes. All the on–the–fly streaming software I've seen is for OSX, or requires an iOS device as a go between.

ZShakespeare
Jul 20, 2003

mongoibur posted:

Has anyone used http://beamer-app.com/ ?
I have an apple tv 3, but not yet a TV, so I can't test it. How does it handle 1080-content?

You're basically live converting the movie file and streaming it to the TV, so unless your computer can re–encode 1080p content in real–time (it can't) you will get lower quality (480p). It works fine for SD content as long as you have a relatively recent Mac.

ZShakespeare
Jul 20, 2003

FishBulb posted:

That seems like a lot of work to me, Id rather just have a 99 dollar 1080p streaming box.

If you don't mind running your poo poo through handbrake (what I do), or getting your content from iTunes/NetFlix, it's a really good device.

ZShakespeare
Jul 20, 2003

Thwomp posted:

Speaking of handbrake, is there any way to skip needless video conversion? I've read that most often, it's just audio that needs to be converted to get a movie file to play on an Apple TV (or other iOS device).

Is there some settings to look for in handbrake? Or something in the stats/details of a file to see if it really requires the long conversion that's typical in handbrake?

I just pick the apple tv 2 setting and let it rip. I don't know if it will detect whether only part of the video needs converting.

ZShakespeare
Jul 20, 2003

skipdogg posted:

To convert MKV's to MP4's I've been using this. http://forum.doom9.org/showthread.php?t=163050 It just remuxes things so it only takes 10 to 15 minutes or so tops. I use it to convert things for my aTV and iDevices and use iTunes home sharing to stream them out.

I have a big XBMC setup for major HTPC duties, but stuff for my kid is easier to put on the aTV or iPad in MP4.

I really want to move from XBMC to Plex and use the aTV as a front end, but what I've got going on right now works really well and there is still no jailbreak to put the plex app on it.

This is actually perfect and, I think, better than handbrake for what I use it for. Thanks for pointing it out.

ZShakespeare
Jul 20, 2003

dexter6 posted:

Actually, it says blocked on TV and Mobile, so I guess that answers it.

http://www.hulu.com/so-you-think-you-can-dance (don't judge, it's for MY WIFE)

So you think you can dance is probably the best amongst the pile of poo poo that is reality television :colbert:

(I only watch it because MY WIFE)

ZShakespeare
Jul 20, 2003

randyest posted:

Yes you should because ATV3 is better and smaller and 1080p (unless you need to JB for some reason, like you don't have an iPod/iPhone/iPad/Mac around to stream non-iTunes format media to it.)

This. There are so many ways of working around the limitations of a non–jailbroken ATV. The only thing you don't get is the ability to browse you content on the ATV itself ala XBMC or PLEX. (Unless you go the route of converting your content to iTunes format which is trivial if it's already h264 encoded.)

ZShakespeare
Jul 20, 2003

Legdiian posted:

This may be a dumb question, but if I go to Walmart and buy a DVD out of the $5 bin, what is the official "Apple way" to get that media on my Apple TV?

Buy it again from iTunes you silly goose. DVDs are only meant to be played in a DVD player and breaking the encryption to view it elsewhere is against the law in most countries. That's got nothing to do with Apple and everything to do with the copyright holder.

e: I'm relatively new to the ecosystem, isn't there a way for iTunes to rip a music CD to your library? I'm sure if it weren't for the encryption problem there would be a similar mechanism for DVDs, but there's an obvious legal liability there.

ZShakespeare fucked around with this message at 18:05 on Aug 8, 2012

ZShakespeare
Jul 20, 2003

The media companies took a look at how easy it was to copy and redistribute a CD and decided that they didn't want that for their video media. They devised a DVD encryption scheme that was broken and rendered ineffectual in the first week of encrypted DVD media becoming available. So, while it did nothing to stop piracy, it ran afoul of digital copyright law which prohibits the circumvention of digital locks. That's why we, as legitimate consumers, can't have a built in method for ripping DVD content and have to jump through hoops every time a new technology is released.

ZShakespeare
Jul 20, 2003

smackfu posted:

Of course the digital copies don't have any of the extras that people expect from a DVD. Kind of sad.

Sure they do.

ZShakespeare
Jul 20, 2003

smackfu posted:

Really? Maybe you are talking about something different than me. I'm thinking of stuff like commentary, making of videos, gag reels. I've never seen that on an online vid, just the bare video and maybe subtitles.

http://itunes.apple.com/ca/tv-season/game-of-thrones-season-1/id482730236

Look towards the bottom of the list. Some of it is even free.

ZShakespeare
Jul 20, 2003

puppy party posted:

Does anyone have any recommendations for programs that will remux MKV files to be aTV compatible? Preferably something can drag in meta data at the same time would be nice.

Mp4tools to Remux (it'll just repack the file into an m4v container without reencoding if it's already h264 encoded, just reencode the audio if it's not AAC, etc.). iDentify to tag. If you were particularly enterprising I'm sure you could make them work together.

ZShakespeare fucked around with this message at 22:55 on Sep 16, 2012

ZShakespeare
Jul 20, 2003

dexter6 posted:

I have been slowly converting my AVI and MKV collection to m4v using Handbrake, but obviously each run takes a while. I recently tried using MP4Tools and have not had much luck. The videos seem to convert fine, and the M4V files play fine in VLC, MPlayerX and Quicktime however they do not play in iTunes and will not transfer to an iPad.

I have tried the latest stable and the latest beta, with no luck. I've also tried adjusting the frame rate to all of the options and that still hasn't worked. Does anyone have any ideas?

Are your Avis and mkvs already encoded with H264 video and AAC audio? If not you can't just Remux, you must reencode. You'll notice the pass through option in mp4tools turns red.

ZShakespeare
Jul 20, 2003

I noticed that repacked xvid+aac videos actually play on the atv(3), though sometimes with dropped frames. As for why your vids aren't playing I've got no clue. I haven't run into an issue like that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ZShakespeare
Jul 20, 2003

I had to sign out of, and back into my itunes account on both computer and apple tv.

• Locked thread