Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Try turning Home Sharing off then back on when connected to Ethernet. It's weird sometimes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Mine is stuck at the What's New screen and I can't get it to do anything else.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Yeah, I've had that happen before. I assume it's an issue on Netflix's end, honestly.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

japtor posted:

The recent update is functionally identical I think, iirc it's a true single core CPU vs just a die harvested dual core like the rest of the A5s.
I think there is a die shrink, also, which will be useful for future SoC revisions in terms of power usage, but in terms of processing power, there shouldn't be any difference from the original 3rd generation models.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Packstand posted:

So did this just atrociously not live up to the hype or what?

I've only really heard bad things to be honest.

Nope, Apple TV is great.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Really? That's not an issue I've noticed on any device I've watched Netflix on. I use my Apple TV because it's the quietest device I have that will stream Netflix (being completely silent), but I actually think the PS3 client's interface is a bit better.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Diabolik900 posted:

The biggest area the Apple TV could be improved is with an app/channel store, as has been discussed multiple times. If they do this though, I think they'll need two things: more storage and a better input device. I have no idea what that input device would be, but the current remote won't really be any good for anything but the type of video channels that the thing has now. If there is going to be a new Apple TV, that's what I think could be different about it.
Apple already sells several different models of excellent input devices for it that could be tailored for specific uses, if they desired;

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Don Tacorleone posted:

Personally I'd wait for the event. Either they announce a new AppleTV, and you get that, or they don't and all you did was wait an extra 2 weeks.
Ignoring that the event is passed, if he was buying from an Apple Store, it wouldn't be a big deal to swap it for a newer version had it been announced and released.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

I feel like it's been doing that for awhile now.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

bizwank posted:

Which you can't, because the airport has no speaker terminals. Add this to it though and it does:

http://store.griffintechnology.com/twenty-airplay-amplifier
Why not just buy active monitors?

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

There's also Remote.ipa, but that's obviously a bit of a pain to use compared to a remote. Thankfully, my receiver's supports it, so it was a simple procedure to get it working.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Minidust posted:

Huh, that's pretty neat. So I could use the TV or Cable remote to control Apple TV stuff. But I guess the arrow buttons would be active for both devices at once? I'm worried that I might be like browsing the cable guide, and accidentally buying stuff or changing settings on the Apple TV. Hmm.
I've never seen a modern cable or TV remote that doesn't have universal functions. All you do is set it to a different device than the TV or cable box. Otherwise, yes, that will happen.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

My ATV3 has a tendency to soft reboot itself at weird times, mostly when either switching from one app to another or even occasionally when I pause Netflix or something. Is this a common issue? Should I run a restore on it and see if it fixes it? It's almost two years old now, so out of warranty, and with rumors of an update coming soon (especially given Apple's comments at the earnings call yesterday), it doesn't seem worth it to buy a new one.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Yeah, me too. Isn't it running a single-core version of the iPhone 4S processor?

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

There's no data to transfer. You'll have to remove unwanted apps from the home screen, I guess, but yeah, just log in and it'll work.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

I'm gonna buy it whatever it is. The ATV3 is super long in the tooth and it's kind of sad Amazon can put out a much better performing stick for half the price.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Super Dude posted:

That would require Siri to actually listen for its name correctly. I've encountered 0 mistakes with Alexa.

I've had Alexa pop up a time or two from my TV. I've also had Hey Siri do it so :shrug:

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

There isn't a dedicated Fire TV app store that I'm aware of, but I'm fairly certain if you search for apps on it, it'll only bring up ones usable on it.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

sellouts posted:

Xbox one does all of these things pretty well. What is handled by an Apple TV that the bone doesn't do?
Well, the Apple TV doesn't poo poo ads all over the place, if nothing else. It also uses way less energy and is completely silent.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

haveblue posted:

Can the Xbone be controlled with an IR universal remote?

(Serious question)

It actually can, yes. I use my Harmony with it.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Does your XBone home screen not look like this with ads taking up a third of the screen? Because mine sure does. I do agree that I rarely hear the fans, but the fact is that it has them and they can be audible, unlike an Apple TV.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Yeah using AirPlay in realtime is somewhat less than ideal unless your idea of an iOS desktop has a second or so of lag.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Laserface posted:

I was excited until I realised the apple TV doesnt have analog out :downs:

thanks anyway, gues I will stick with my ugly rear end wall-wart Express.
If you don't want a wall wart, the current Express is in a very similar form-factor as the AppleTV.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Seriously, is that supposed to be some sort of insult?

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

If only there were a website you could look at with official tech specs that might tell you that sort of thing.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

iTunes' biggest problem is trying to do too many things:

Music player (streaming and local)
Music storefront
Video player
Video storefront
Phone/PMP/tablet syncing tool
Podcast/audiobook player
Phone/PMP/tablet firmware backup/update/restore tool

I don't really have issues with it, but it would be nice for Apple to maybe split some of those functions off into separate tools.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Bass Bottles posted:

And they break games every time they update iOS. A lot of those games just get pulled instead of fixed.

They're happy to rake in the money from games, but they won't put any effort into it themselves.

Not sure how this is Apple's fault.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Mahoning posted:

An NBC and CBS app just appeared on my AppleTV home screen, as well as whatever the hell M2M is. Looks like some fashion network.
Eheheheheheheheheheheh

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

I'd reaaaaaaaaally surprised if there's stock problems at all. I'm mostly disappointed that I won't be able to stop at the Apple Store on the way home and pick one up.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

I'm probably getting 32 GB since I don't expect I'll be putting many games or videos on it. But at the same time, $50 ain't a whole lot.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Yeah, it's something like 8 GB, but keep in mind, those apps are mostly just front-ends for streaming services. It doesn't store anything locally.

That said, you're probably not wrong that 32 GB will take awhile to fill unless you're putting lots of big games on it, something you might be more inclined to do with something attached to your TV.

For instance, XCOM and Baldur's Gate on iOS are both 2 GB.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Ordered a 32 GB with free shipping, but I'll prob go pick one up at a store if they're available before it shows up.

• Locked thread