Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
blast0rama
Aug 13, 2003

Tingly.

Thwomp posted:

Another year, another rumor of an Apple TV subscription program (WSJ link). This time, sans everything Comcast owns (NBCUniversal networks).

This one looks more like a SlingTV competitor than an ala carte channel/app ecosystem.

I wonder if this is really going to be a SlingTV competitor, or more just allowed access to the different existing Apple TV apps (ESPN, Disney, Fox, FX Now, etc.) under one general cost?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

blast0rama
Aug 13, 2003

Tingly.

haveblue posted:

Don't all of those need a cable provider login? If this new package doesn't, that's huge. (If the rumor is true.)

Currently, yes. I'm just spit-balling that it may be easier for Apple to work out a deal where "Apple TV Subscribers" can just log right in to the existing applications, rather than develop a whole secondary way of accessing what is ultimately the same content. Cable subscribers would still be able to log in based on their subscriptions, but these Apple TV subscribers can as well for cheaper ($30-$40/mo is the figure being thrown around).

It would be something that would work with Apple TV's both old and new, and isn't far removed from what I assume HBO NOW will be - another way to access HBO GO.

That said, if they're going the SlingTV route, they're going to have to develop something to watch a live feed - but I think that's already possible with some of the apps. WWE Network, at least.

blast0rama
Aug 13, 2003

Tingly.

I've been waiting to get something to replace my aging Roku, and since I've gone full Apple - this looks KILLER.

Can't wait!

blast0rama
Aug 13, 2003

Tingly.

Martytoof posted:

edit: Actually if there was a way to just use an iOS device as a siri satellite that would be ideal and well within reason for an ATV4 OS upgrade, even.

I have a hunch this is going to be in the next update for the Remote app. Just makes sense.

blast0rama
Aug 13, 2003

Tingly.

I actually don't currently have an Apple TV, but I've wanted one for a while, so I'm glad to finally snag one. (Going for the 32GB, since I'm using all of 5GB on my 64 GB iPhone 6S.)

• Locked thread