Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Just-In-Timeberlake
Aug 18, 2003

mattdev posted:

Anyone here running an Apple TV with a Synology NAS? I've been streaming to a PS3 but I don't game at all and it's a bit overkill.

Will the Apple TV play mkv files with subtitles and multiple tracks? File support is probably my biggest concern.

This is exactly what I run. Jailbroken ATV2 and an ds211j. XBMC sees the NAS and plays anything on it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Just-In-Timeberlake
Aug 18, 2003

FishBulb posted:

There was a thread about that in TVIV called, I think 'Cutting the Cable' or something like that. I don't remember if it was super informative or more of a casual 'hey I did this' discussion though. Anyways, more resources are always good, I've been thinking about getting rid of cable when I move back home here in a couple months.

I got rid of cable a few months ago and haven't looked back.

Between my ATV2/XBMC, Netflix and iTunes I have no reason to miss it. That will change come football season I'm sure, but I can go to any bar for that.

Just-In-Timeberlake
Aug 18, 2003

Parlett316 posted:

If you are an out of market fan then you are in luck with the NBA and MLB apps for the AppleTV and 360 since you don't have to deal with local blackout restrictions. I have to keep basic Comcast cable for my semi-local team.

Unfortunately I don't watch either one.

College and pro football and college bball are my poison.

Not the end of the world, I'd probably have more fun watching at a bar or a friend's house anyway.

Just-In-Timeberlake
Aug 18, 2003

Suqit posted:

And then probably spend every bit of savings you accrued from dropping cable.

But I'll have a substantially better time :D

Just-In-Timeberlake
Aug 18, 2003

Rubiks Pubes posted:

Well I guess the wifi in my ATV3 bit the dust tonight. I was watching Netflix and all of a sudden it kicked back to the home screen saying it isn't connected to the network. I reset my modem and router but the ATV doesn't detect any wireless networks whereas my iPad detects 3 or 4 besides mine. From a quick Google search it appears this is a common issue. I don't live near an Apple store, are they likely to replace it for me over the phone?

Have you tried resetting the ATV? Trailers stopped working for me and a reset fixed that.

Just-In-Timeberlake
Aug 18, 2003

LitigiousChimp posted:

Is anybody else having problems with Netflix on an ATV3 after the 5.1 update? Everything seems to be playing fine, but it doesn't keep track of my progress. It's a little weird, but when I go back into the episode list for whatever TV series I'm watching it acts like I didn't watch the episode I just finished and it wants to play it again. If I go to the Netflix site it shows the progress bar as if I started the episode, but it's completely empty.

I tried a reset and it's still happening, so I'm wondering if this is a problem with the Apple TV or something on Netflix's end.

Hm, that happened to me but I didn't think much of it since I had started watching it on my ATV2 and then went off to watch it on my ATV3 and assumed it was that.

Just-In-Timeberlake
Aug 18, 2003

Ur Getting Fatter posted:

So is XBMC (on the ATV) usually poo poo at streaming via WIFI? I thought it was just a signal problem, but I have it about 10ft from the router now, with the computer which has the file hooked up to the router via Ethernet, but the ATV never seems to pull more than 3-5mbps, which leads to pretty much constant buffering.

Wireless N?

Just-In-Timeberlake
Aug 18, 2003

Modern Pragmatist posted:

HBO Go airplay support is a step in the right direction for sure. We can dream of the day a real app comes along.

http://allthingsd.com/20130212/ok-well-let-you-stream-hbo-go-to-your-tv/

Welcome to 2013 you dinosaurs

Just-In-Timeberlake
Aug 18, 2003

Legdiian posted:

If you have a macbook, why involve the ATV/Airplay in the mix?

This right here. What you're trying to do makes no sense whatsoever.

If you have an iPhone you can play Netflix/Hulu/connect to a NAS/share and watch whatever with gPlayer with no need for an ATV, same goes with a MacBook. You're making things unnecessarily complicated.

Just-In-Timeberlake fucked around with this message at 13:09 on Feb 22, 2013

Just-In-Timeberlake
Aug 18, 2003

10-8 posted:

Amazon just updated its iOS streaming app to allow Airplay to the Apple TV. I'm pretty sure that HBO previously did the same shortly before releasing a native Apple TV solution.

How nice of them to join the rest of us in 2013.

Just-In-Timeberlake
Aug 18, 2003

Duckman2008 posted:

As everyone said, wait and hang out for the hardware refresh, but for me you can really stream anything from your phone to the Apple TV. Worst case is you just tell it to mirror screen and it works fine. Not as convenient as chromecast as you can't use your phone while mirroring video, but it works.

Content providers can and do disable Airplay streaming on their apps. Last time I checked, the following disable it: WatchTBS, WatchTNT, SyFy, USA Now, Watch TruTV, the Xfinity app.

Just-In-Timeberlake
Aug 18, 2003
I'm an Apple whore but my ATV just gathers dust because the FireTV is so much better in almost every way, especially if you have Prime. Gonna have to be something really loving impressive to get me to switch back.

Just-In-Timeberlake
Aug 18, 2003

African AIDS cum posted:

What do you do to replace Airplay?

I legitimately don't use it that much, but it is probably the only reason I keep the ATV around just in case I do need it for something. I think the last time I Airplayed something was the Tour de France, before that I couldn't tell you.

Just-In-Timeberlake
Aug 18, 2003

nate fisher posted:

I have a new Comcast remote with a mic built in for their voice service. To be honest it was a pain in the rear end, and I never used it again after the first day (in the end using the remote was easier). AppleTV should be better due to the fact they have less channels (the issue with Comcast is how confused it could when searching for what you asked for), and that Siri overall is a better service. Still given how often I use Siri on my iPhone, I am not sure how excited I am about Siri on my AppleTV.

I use the voice function on my FireTV all the time because a) gently caress typing poo poo, and b) it's scarily accurate

If it comes to pass that the new ATV has Siri and it's on par with the FireTV you'll be surprised at how much you use it

Just-In-Timeberlake
Aug 18, 2003

Keystoned posted:

I went on a 1000 mile motorcycle trip over labor day and being able to use siri to control apple music convinced me to switch. Being able to hit the siri buttton on my headset and say "play whatever", and it actually working was amazing.

I used to be able to do this, now Siri just errors out for some loving reason even though what I'm saying is perfectly transcribed on the display.

Just-In-Timeberlake
Aug 18, 2003

Bass Bottles posted:

Hold the menu button down.

Yes they hid crucial functionality where 99% of users would never find it lol

seriously, look up all the functions of that remote's button combinations some time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Just-In-Timeberlake
Aug 18, 2003

Subjunctive posted:

Do you have a reference off the top of your head?

Usual stuff the user might actually want to do:
https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT200131

Here's one that's not on there that I needed for some reason:
Cycle through all video modes - Press and hold Menu and Menu up/scroll (+) for about 6 seconds

• Locked thread