Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
einTier
Sep 25, 2003

Charming, friendly, and possessed by demons.
Approach with caution.
I bought an AppleTV 3 with the intention of setting it up like my original AppleTV -- XBMC talking to a NAS where all of my video content is stored. I haven't done anything with it because there's been no jailbreak.

However, from reading the thread, it appears that I could do what I want to do right out of the box with no jailbreak? Is that correct? I could install XBMC from the app store and have it pull video from my NAS without any jailbreaking or hacking?

If so, that would be glorious, as that's really the only reason I have my original ATV jailbroken. I have too many videos in formats that iTunes/Apple just can't play, and too many to put on the device.

[edit]
Nevermind, it appears I was wrong. I see that to install XBMC I still need a jailbroken ATV. Oh well, guess I'll be waiting. Is there any other solution for what I want to do?

einTier fucked around with this message at 22:41 on May 24, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

einTier
Sep 25, 2003

Approach with caution.

Laserface posted:

What is the best place/twitter to follow to keep up with if/when the ATV3 gets jailbroken?
I'm suspecting the jailbreak won't be until after iOS 6 drops, but I think it's just a matter of time.

The reason I think it's iOS 6 is because there's new features and new attack vectors that can be attempted. The more features they add, the more likely they'll miss something. Also, it's really rare that someone locks down a device to the point that it can't be hacked anymore.

The last time I remember that happening was with DirecTV, and they ended up having to bring one of the biggest names in DTV hacking over to their side to accomplish it.

einTier
Sep 25, 2003

Approach with caution.
If AppleTV would support more codecs, it would be just fine for what I do.

However it doesn't, so it's off to XBMC for me.

It's shameful the low number of encodings that Apple software will read.

einTier
Sep 25, 2003

Approach with caution.
The other question is, how much feedback do you have, particularly as a seller?

I know a lot of people don't want to take a risk on someone with no history of selling or using eBay. Maybe you'll get something at a discount, but you might lose your money entirely too.

On big ticket items, it's a difficult risk to take.

einTier
Sep 25, 2003

Approach with caution.

Feenix posted:

I've sold about 15 items in my life and 100% positive rating with a score of (7) whatever that means.

It will increase in value as the deadline for the auction comes up. Most things don't really start to escalate until about 24 hours before they end.

Your feedback will hurt you slightly, though. Generally, you want 10+ feedback as a seller before selling anything. A good way to do this is to buy a bunch of cheap stuff on eBay, then turn around and resell it. Make sure to leave feedback and hound your customers to make sure they leave it for you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

einTier
Sep 25, 2003

Approach with caution.

Feenix posted:

Solid advice. Thanks. For what it's worth I am up to 172.50 with 4 hours to go. :) (Even if it sold right now I'd be able to get a brand new ATV3 + a nice dinner.)

Sounds like you might have sold it just in time.

• Locked thread