Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
choobs
Mar 25, 2004
Never bring a duck to a cock fight.

einTier posted:

I bought an AppleTV 3 with the intention of setting it up like my original AppleTV -- XBMC talking to a NAS where all of my video content is stored. I haven't done anything with it because there's been no jailbreak.

However, from reading the thread, it appears that I could do what I want to do right out of the box with no jailbreak? Is that correct? I could install XBMC from the app store and have it pull video from my NAS without any jailbreaking or hacking?

If so, that would be glorious, as that's really the only reason I have my original ATV jailbroken. I have too many videos in formats that iTunes/Apple just can't play, and too many to put on the device.

[edit]
Nevermind, it appears I was wrong. I see that to install XBMC I still need a jailbroken ATV. Oh well, guess I'll be waiting. Is there any other solution for what I want to do?
If you have an iPhone or iPad, you could use an app like AirVideo or Plex with AirPlay to stream the videos, no jailbreak required. If you don't, you'd have to convert videos to apple friendly formats and import them into iTunes. There are probably other ways too, those are just the only ones I know.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

choobs
Mar 25, 2004
That's pretty cool. I wonder if they'll ever do Amazon VOD/Prime.

choobs
Mar 25, 2004
This is probably a dumb question, but I can use my ATV2's power cable to power an ATV3, right? It'd be a pain to have to haul my TV stand out to swap them.

choobs
Mar 25, 2004
Thanks guys.

choobs
Mar 25, 2004
If it's N, you should get higher speeds than the wired 100 meg port, no?

choobs
Mar 25, 2004

FishBulb posted:

If you don't want to use iTunes why not buy one of the 40 other set top boxes that can stream things? I'm just honestly curious not trying to be snarky.

I can't speak for that guy, but I bought the AppleTV pretty much exclusively for AirPlay which none of the other set top boxes do (as far as I know anyway). I've ended up renting one or two movies from iTunes, but I'd probably use Amazon if that were available since they often seem a little cheaper for the same movie.

choobs
Mar 25, 2004
I'm not familiar with that one, but I'd recommend Handbrake. It's the best anything->mp4 converter out there in my opinion and I know a lot of people in this thread use it to.

choobs
Mar 25, 2004
That happened to me a few weeks ago. Went back to normal after either a reboot or the next day.

choobs
Mar 25, 2004

cbirdsong posted:

The setup seems like you basically have to route all your AppleTV internet traffic through whatever your Plex server happens to be. Or am I misunderstanding it?

It's routing all DNS requests through a computer on your network (doesn't have to be your plex server). So whenever your AppleTV needs data from the internet and sends out a DNS lookup request, instead of sending it to your normal DNS server, it gets sent to the computer running the script. If the request is for trailers.apple.com, it gives its own IP and then sends the AppleTV your Plex server info instead of Apple's trailer. Anything request for any other site, the computer just checks whatever DNS server it is configured to use and replies with that. So the AppleTV sends all its actual traffic directly wherever it normally would, but DNS request get funneled through the computer.

The problem with this, in my eyes, is that the AppleTV only supports a single DNS server (which is lame as hell Apple), whereas almost everything else in the world supports multiples. That means if the script dies on your computer, your AppleTV will be unable to connect to anything until you either fix the problem on the computer or set the DNS server back to normal.

choobs
Mar 25, 2004
All of Plex Media Server's configuration/management is done via a built-in web server. The actual viewing can be done through the web server or via a separate app on the same computer or any number of other devices/computer. None of the Apps have library management or server configuration abilities to my knowledge.

As for running the python scripts in the background and on startup, I'm not sure. I know it's possible, but I'd have to google it. That's the main thing keeping me from using PlexConnect right now, but their site said turning this into an app instead of a script is on the roadmap.

For the time being though, running the Plex App on my iPhone or iPad and airplaying over to my AppleTV works fine. The concept is great, so I'm looking forward to them maturing PlexConnect some more and then I'll give it another shot.

choobs
Mar 25, 2004
I've been using Handbrake to covert my DVDs on my Win7 PC the last few WEEKS, it works great. I've been using iDentify on my Mac to tag the files since I've yet to find a Windows program that works half as well.

choobs
Mar 25, 2004

Diabolik900 posted:

And unless he's confusing this with the still non-existent Apple TV set, this thing has never really been hyped. If anything I think Apple has undersold it.

Maybe he was asking about PlexConnect? I'm really not sure, the post wasn't very clear...

choobs
Mar 25, 2004

Joe Don Baker posted:

Yeah definitely Apple TV is probably their most under-rated product. It might be limited in functionality compared to something like XBMC. Set it up 'The Apple Way' and it's amazing and simple to use.

I agree with this. If they would add Amazon on it (or even just had the iPhone/iPad Amazon app support AirPlay, not sure if Amazon or Apple is the holdup there) it would be perfect.

choobs
Mar 25, 2004
You could get a used iPod touch cheap maybe?

choobs
Mar 25, 2004

vaginal culture posted:

What does it do that AirVideo doesn't? Been using it for years

It scans your media files and adds Metadata from TheTVDB and the MovieDB. It keeps track of what you've watched and not watched, and will do things like create a list of "On deck" episodes, where it will list the next episode of shows you've watched recently. It also has plugins that allow you to watch certain web videos or interact with other programs (such as iTunes), though not all of these are compatible with iOS.

Essentially it's a full-featured media center as opposed to a simple media player. That's not a knock against AirVideo, it's great and it does its job awesomely. I just prefer all the features Plex offers.

choobs
Mar 25, 2004

Kaizoku posted:

I can't even put my cable info in, the app will not load. It attempts for what feels like 3 minutes, then it dumps back to the home screen. The Disney apps all exhibit the same behavior, but I don't really care about those.

You should try restoring to factory and resetting it up, and if that doesn't work, reload the software: http://support.apple.com/kb/ht4367

choobs
Mar 25, 2004

Bung Harmer posted:

Please please please will they finally add an Amazon Prime app. It's the one big glaring thing it's missing. That said, I love the Atv and it's easily the most used Apple device in my house besides our iPhones.

I desperately want an Amazon app natively on my ATV, but just to make sure you know, the Amazon Video app for the iPhone/iPad supports AirPlay.

choobs
Mar 25, 2004
Anecdotally, I've had three of those remotes, one I bought for my Mac when I was using it for an HTPC, and one each with AppleTV I've bought and they've all worked interchangeably.

choobs
Mar 25, 2004
You might want to try a restore on your iPhone/Pad, AppleTV or both, because I use that all the time and don't have any problems unless it's an app that specifically prohibits using Airplay for Video.

choobs
Mar 25, 2004
I use the Amazon Prime app on my iPhone or iPad and Airplay it over. A native app on the ATV would obviously be better but iOS->Airplay has always worked well enough that I haven't felt the need for anything else.

choobs
Mar 25, 2004

niss posted:

I haven't had this happen in a while, but I would constantly loose the ability to airplay from iTunes to my apple TV. It was always related to ipv6 being enabled on my PC, as soon as I turned it off the airplay icon would show back up in iTunes. Might be worth checking.

Seconding this, I had all sorts of AirPlay and Home Sharing problems, it was infuriating. Turned off IPv6 on my Windows machine, never had a problem with it since.

choobs
Mar 25, 2004

Fatal posted:

My eyebrow raised on this bullet point:

Siri Remote

- Lightning connector for charging

Here's to hoping it lasts more than a few weeks on a charge. Not to mention the Apple TV doesn't have a full sized USB port, so you will need to recharge it somewhere else. Definitely a lame part of an otherwise interesting product.

From the Specs Page:

Rechargeable battery providing months of battery life on a single charge (with typical daily usage)

choobs
Mar 25, 2004

Cornjob posted:

My excitement for the new ATV was squashed by:
1. No toslink . I use my current atv to airplay audio from my phone all the time. It allowed me to listen to music through my audio system without turning the tv on. Now, my tv has to be on to listen, i presume.

That's a bummer... I hadn't noticed that at all.

Edit: It looks like the only option besides an Airplay compatible receiver would be an Airport Express? Meh.

choobs fucked around with this message at 21:36 on Sep 9, 2015

choobs
Mar 25, 2004
Quote != Edit :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

choobs
Mar 25, 2004
I'm pretty sure, though I could be wrong, that on the Apple TV, you HAVE to hit the microphone button on the remote to activate Siri.

• Locked thread