Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

Anyone seen this happen before? None of the apps came up this morning, just home sharing. Rebooting fixed it but very odd.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

Thwomp posted:

Yeah, airplay can be restricted by the app so it's on Hulu to enable support for it. But they seem to be holding out for whatever reason/agreement with Apple.
I think AirPlay is implemented by the app but AirPlay mirroring is system-wide and can't be disabled. IIRC I used this to watch an ABC show the other day. The problem is that the iPad is 4:3 and the mirroring pillarboxes that. So for 16:9 content, you either maximize it on the iPad and then have the sides cropped off, or don't maximize and keep it 16:9 but have black bars on all four sides of the TV image. Not ideal.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

I really wish Apple would put up a splash screen or something after it does an update.

Thwomp posted:

I was just curious if it was possible to eliminate unnecessary converting time. Sounds like I could but not without getting into a lot of nitty gritty video details.
IVI in the Mac App Store ($4) handles it seamlessly, as well as letting you edit the metadata for all the fields including ones not editable in iTunes.

http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/ivi/id402279089?mt=12

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

The Aphasian posted:

More on topic: I haven't looked at Hulu in years, since before they had a paid model. Is it worth it if I already have Netflix? My main concerns are quality and ads--the only commercials I see right now are streaming The Daily Show and it's often the same one or two commercials repeated endlessly.

I think Hulu+ is much more about current seasons of shows, while NetFlix is about past seasons. If you have completely cut the cord and are buying shows on iTunes, I think you will definitely come out ahead on Hulu+ if you can deal with the ads. Even if you just watch TDS.

I will definitely try it for a month though, having it on the Apple TV is a huge benefit to me.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

Of course the digital copies don't have any of the extras that people expect from a DVD. Kind of sad.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

ZShakespeare posted:

Sure they do.
Really? Maybe you are talking about something different than me. I'm thinking of stuff like commentary, making of videos, gag reels. I've never seen that on an online vid, just the bare video and maybe subtitles.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

In other news, wow, if you have a spare Apple TV 2 that you aren't jailbreaking, now is the time to sell. I got $150 for mine in about 10 minutes on eBay. (So my price was probably too low.)

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

Apparently there is supposed to be a new iTunes Festival app? Show up for anyone yet?

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

I use IVI for that kind of thing. It's in the app store and OK at detecting files, looking up the metadata, and converting it no matter what format it is, including doing a pass thru if it's a MKV. It does the job but it feels a little clunky. Should not use comic sans or Apple equivalent for their website either.

Used to be $4 though, now it seems to be $10 which I think is a bit much.

smackfu fucked around with this message at 16:32 on Sep 17, 2012

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

So am I the only one who didn't know you could hide unused app icons in the Parental Controls menu? Begone MLB and NHL!

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

EC posted:

I'm looking for a Mac app that I think I read about in this thread. It takes files you've downloaded from SAB and applies metadata to them so they look good in iTunes, I think?
I use IVI for this. It also converts to right format if needed. $10 in MAS (used to be $4!)

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

There's nothing obvious Apple could upgrade in the AppleTV anyways. Even the 2 -> 3 was just the obvious 720p to 1080p.

Well, maybe they'll kill the Ethernet port at some point. Or upgrade the wireless.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

That first Apple TV was also significantly more expensive. $299 if you bought it at launch. Although it's probably held value much better than a similarly priced iPod from that year.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

Is there any way to lower the quality of YouTube videos? It seems like it uses 1080p versions on the ATV3 if they exist and our DSL connection can't keep up with it. For iTunes stuff you can lower the quality but can't find same for YouTube. So after I hit play it may take 15 minutes to buffer enough to play smoothly. Terrible.

I end up streaming stuff from my phone since it is much better at choosing an appropriate bitrate.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

There's no obvious upgrades for the current Apple TV. They could treat it like the Airport Express... upgrade the wireless occasionally and then redo the case design every five years or so, while updating the software much more regularly.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

I think you're just losing out to all the Buy It Now sales. People want to buy something, not wait a week to maybe buy something at an unknown price.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

My guess is that it is simply a A5X on a 32nm process, and using it in the Apple TV is a trial, and then it will be used for real in the retina iPad mini.

I doubt the current Apple TV is using much of the power of its current chip, since 99% of its load is just decoding H264.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

Feenix posted:

The external size of the device will also remain the same.
That's odd. The FCC diagram clearly shows it as 93.78 mm squares. Apple says on the specs page for the current one that it is 98 mm square. Yeah, that's a minor difference, but it's not the same.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

On some movies, the Apple TV shows a timecode above the progress bar. Any idea what that is? I guess it's probably the time of the last chapter stop, but why would you want to know that, especially to the millisecond?

(Maybe this works differently on real iTunes movies, rather than my rips?)

Oh, nevermind, I figured it out while trying to find a screenshot that demonstrates it. But I guess other people might be interested... it's showing the chapter title, which happens to be set to the timecode of the chapter start. I'm not sure if this is IVI doing it because the file doesn't have chapter titles set, or if the upstream file has the chapter titles set this way. Not a big fan... I would think doing Chapter 1,2,3 would be better.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

tonic posted:

It has been so off with metadata recently though. I feel like TVDB updated something and iVI is just no longer catching anything.
Yes, TVDB did update something and it broke lookups. And then instead of just putting out a bug fix update, the IVI people rolled the fix into their big update... which then got caught up in App Store review hell. Not good.

Anyway, if you are using the Mac App Store version, you can download an updated version from here until the real update comes through:
http://t.co/8ZMuDjD14R

You need to clear the cache too, because apparently it caches the "bad" TVDB lookups too.

You can also switch to TagChimp, but I didn't find it as good as TVDB and it was missing new TV episodes. Also, it uses different series naming, so that can make a mess of iTunes.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

Yeah, I've seen that before. My only guess is that Recently Watched is dynamically added and if there is a network glitch, it thinks it should be hidden.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

It seems to me that they could just use HTTPS for everything, and only accept the one correct Apple SSL certificate. Then the Apple TV would basically be able to know that it wasn't talking to Apple and throw up an error.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

They just added HBO Go and ESPN apps to Apple TV, although like the mobile platforms, you need to have a cable subscription to use it.

Still, Apple TV interface is probably nicer than your cable box.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

At this point, if you have a subscription video service, it seems like a pretty good bet that you could get it on Apple TV as an app, despite there not being any apps.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

There is no obvious upgrade pending for the 3rd Gen Apple TV. Even the 2nd Gen still gets every single feature that is released, and the only negative is no 1080p (and a lot of content is 720p anyways).

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

Is Handbrake still the best Windows option for converting DVDs to something that can play on a stock Apple TV? I just realized the Mac mini I usually use to convert things has no DVD drive so I need to use my work PC.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

Yeah, if you have multiple profiles set up, the first menu after choosing Netflix is a "who is watching?" screen.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

Is it new that Netflix now shows completion bars on TV show episodes, so you can see which ones you watched already?

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

And Directv doesn't count.

I was surprised they let that one California station get its own channel too.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

LaserWash posted:

Doesn't Apple have a "hang up" with Amazon since Amazon also sells the Kindle?

It seems like Apple doesn't want to allow any services that compete with iTunes as far as selling you individual movies and TV shows. Subscription video services seem OK.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

An activity is like "watch Apple TV." It might involve a bunch of steps, like turning on the TV, turning on the receiver, switching the input, turning on the Apple TV, etc.

The usual problem with Harmony remotes is that might take 20-30 seconds, and you have to point the remote at the equipment the whole time. If you don't, it ends up in a half switched state. And people who the remote would be best for are pretty bad at pointing it for the full time.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

Mahoning posted:

Just noticed that the new update fixed the iCloud photos as screen saver feature. Think I only ever saw it work twice, most of the time it just threw up pictures of animals even though it was supposed to be pictures of my family vacation. Now it's working every time.

Cool, we had the same problem. When it worked it was great but sometimes it would just forget and show animal photos. Even though it was set for iCloud in the settings.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

Kenderama posted:

Looks like we got three new channels today. The Lifetime network, the History channel, and A&E

Do they require signing in to your cable or such?

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

Given that, it would be nice if Apple had a generic framework to connect your Apple TV to a cable provider, then only channels you had access to would be shown, and access to each one would be seamless.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

Anyone ever see problems with movies streamed from iTunes on a Mac getting jerky after playing for awhile? Like there will be a scene with what should be a smooth pan but it isn't actually smooth and kinda skips. It gets worse the longer it plays, but if I stop and restart the movie, it fixes it. Not all movies though. Maybe the bitrate is too high?

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

Yeah, for instance, you will never get a Beats music channel, even though there's no technical reason it can't be on the ATV 2.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

Akuma posted:

Oh my god has anybody else found AirPlay to be a total chore from iOS 8 devices? What the gently caress did they do that for? I find that half the time I can't even get it to start working (when I select my AppleTV from the list it hangs for a while and then exits the menu with nothing selected) and it almost never works if I'm already watching a video on the phone when I start AirPlay.

God, it was so easy before. Makes me glad I still have an iOS 6 device knocking around to do all my AirPlaying from because it just sucks from my iPhone 5C.

I read somewhere that they changed it so that Apple TV prefers to connect directly to the phone for AirPlay, rather than via the wifi network they are both connected to. So maybe that is flaky. It doesn't seem like you can turn off that feature though, which seems dumb.

http://help.apple.com/deployment/ios/#/apd8fc751f59

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

If someone buys a new Apple TV, does it have all fifty channels enabled on the main screen? Seems like that would be quite a mess for people if they just want Netflix and YouTube.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

OS X Server will cache app and OS updates. Anything more complicated than that (like web caching) is really hard to get right.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

If you are curious, here's a review of the original Apple TV from 2007.

http://arstechnica.com/apple/2007/03/apple-tv-1st-generation/

It actually does look remarkably like a current Mac mini, although it's got a plastic top instead of a metal unibody.

• Locked thread