Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie
Is Airparrot lag-free when mirroring video content. For example if I played something in VLC and mirrored it, how would it look?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

echobucket posted:

I've tried it with the Hulu desktop app. It's a bit laggy and the quality of the picture suffers as it reencodes the screen into a lower bitrate. That being said, I'm on a G wifi network, I haven't tried it on an N network to see if it does a better job.

I'm wired on both ends so I'll give it a shot. It's only ten bucks.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Dr. McReallysweet posted:

I'm disappointed that my 2010 mbp cant airplay to my atv and would like a solution. I was lurking the hackintosh thread and they say if you spoof a few things you can get it working but I'm not sure you can actually spoof anything on an actual mac. Also if I have to, I'll settle for 3rd party. Is airparrot any good?

Since it's a laptop, have you looking into an HDMI out adapter? It's not the most elegant solution, but they're cheap and will probably perform better than a software based solution.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

Does anyone know when do episodes go up online for anything you have a Season Pass? Say the show airs at 9pm is it a specific time after or sometime the next day?

The vast majority of the time, it's the next morning.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Billa posted:

I would like the Apple TV to connect to a library of videos I have on that NAS, and then the iPad to connect to that Apple TV, so the ATV3 acts as a bridge between the content and the iPad without the need of a computer powered on all the time.

Not gonna happen. Your Apple TV and iPad need to hit an iTunes share, whether it's on a NAS or a PC/Mac running iTunes.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Try a different Apple Store? Sounds like that manager is a dick.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Minidust posted:

I'm about to buy one of these. Is there a new Apple TV around the corner or should I just jump on the third edition? From what I can tell the Apple TVs have had a pretty long life cyce; I only ask because the iPad refresh seemed to happen more quickly than usual this year.

Just get the 3. It's only $100. Even if Apple released a new one soon, you could always flip it for 50 or 60 bucks.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Hope it works for you. I didn't get one until the ATV3 was released. At that point I had an iPad, iPhone and a Mac, which makes the ATV somewhat indispensable at this point, especially since Airplay for Macs came out.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Is your ATV up to date?

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Bucket Joneses posted:

I have a 2nd gen ATV and on the "About" page it lists the Apple TV Software as version 4.4.4 (3330). When I select Update Software, it tells me that the ATV is up to date.

Wiki tells me that 4.4.4 was the last version that came out before the 3rd gen ATVs came out and Apple released 5.0. Do I need to do anything special to get the firmware to bump past 4.4.4?

Get a USB cable and manually update the software.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

echobucket posted:

Get her a macbook Air, all the new macs can airplay the whole screen to the Apple TV. It's super useful.

It's pretty awesome. I don't know how it performs over wifi, but on a wired connection, it's lag-free and you can't tell it's basically a screencap.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Good to know. Thanks!

I'll tell you, I bought the ATV3 on a whim when it was released. The more I use it, which is a lot, I've found it's a severely under-rated Apple product. It's my primary device for my TV now. I can't tell you the last time I used my PS3 or Xbox for media purposes. We don't have cable and we don't miss it one bit. The ATV does everything we'd need.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Shmoogy posted:

And that is why it's still a while away and it will be a lovely fight the entire way to getting unblocked local games in your region. :(.

I don't think there's an online only streaming package for NFL? I think you can only do that if you have that Direct TV thing?

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

gypsyshred posted:

My roommate has an annoying habit of changing the wifi password. This is a problem, as I've misplaced my apple remote. What I have been using is my phone, but as my ATV no longer knows the password, its not on the network. I do on an iOS device and I do own a bt keyboard, how do I get the ATV to wake up, accept input, and put in the wifi password?

A new remote is $20. Best Buy has them or maybe Walmart.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Boxman posted:

Does anyone use a proxy to connect to MLB.tv with their Apple TV? My BR player isn't really getting the job done (it really doesn't like proxies) and I'm curious if an aTV is better at handling the sometimes variable bandwidth that comes from a public proxy.

I use unblock-us with my aTV3 and it works flawlessly for MLB.TV.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Yeah I don't like having to go through computers, then whatever for my iTunes share. It's not a huge deal, I just hate that extra menu to drill down into. Not sure how else to cleanly do it though.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Have you tried setting a static IP for the ATV and PC?

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

The Aphasian posted:

Yeah, the interface is kind of crap, but it's so much better than the constant home sharing issues I had with iTunes. It always pisses me off when the software made by the company who made the hardware fucks up and doesn't work as well as a third party work-around.

That's weird man. I've had iTunes sharing on a Windows PC and iMac and I have zero issues with anything.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Or you could just not watch anime :v:

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

It's a definite possibility. With all the new game controller support stuff coming, I could see something new later this year.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Don Tacorleone posted:

Apple TV3 - is there a way to watch Live youtube streams? I want to watch the UFC preliminary fights and can't find a way to plug in the address.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SipiOmC8No0

On your computer, log in with your Google account and add the link as a favorite. On the ATV, log in with your Google account on the Youtube app. It should show up as a favorite.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Diabolik900 posted:

And unless he's confusing this with the still non-existent Apple TV set, this thing has never really been hyped. If anything I think Apple has undersold it.

Yeah definitely Apple TV is probably their most under-rated product. It might be limited in functionality compared to something like XBMC. Set it up 'The Apple Way' and it's amazing and simple to use.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Please please please will they finally add an Amazon Prime app. It's the one big glaring thing it's missing. That said, I love the Atv and it's easily the most used Apple device in my house besides our iPhones.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

I don't do a whole lot of gaming anymore, but I can see the appeal. Would Steam even be interested in that right now since they are putting a lot of work into Steambox and Steam OS or whatever it's called?

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Couldn't you just pick up an Airport Express and hook it into your speakers? Seems to be a pretty easy solution.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

The only app I've seen issues with is the NHL app. However I am not sure if it's just a coincidence, since that app is notoriously lovely on every platform.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Are you on a wired or wireless connection? If wireless try a wired for a few days and see what happens.

You could also try resetting it back to factory and see what that does.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Yes they said shows will be available at the same time they air. Live events like boxing will have a delay.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Anyone having issues with Netflix since the update this week? Looks like poo poo and keeps buffering. No issues on my iPhone or computers. I'm in the US if that matters.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

So I figured out my network issue from last week. The last update did something with the wired ethernet port. Wifi works flawlessly. Wired doesn't do poo poo. I did a a full restore (usb cable and configurator tool) and it still isn't working. Guess I'll wait for the next update.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Have you power cycled your ATV? Sometimes that gets rid of weird behaviors like that.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

If it really does all the poo poo that's rumored, $200 isn't bad. If it's just an upgraded ATV3 with Siri and a new app for a streaming service, then $99 is right.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

I just can't stand the xbox or ps4 interfaces. They make no sense to me. They're pretty, but if I haven't used them in a couple weeks I have to scroll around different screens trying to find what I want. The current AppleTV interface is ugly and uninspired, but it's simple to navigate.

I've been thinking that's one thing I would love for Apple to figure out. Right now, if you want to watch a movie, you can navigate to your iTunes share, Netflix app, HBO, etc. Then you gotta drill down through menus and poo poo to find what to watch. There has to be a way to make things more content oriented than app oriented. This is the intent behind Apple Music, and despite its flaws, it does that well. I'm always finding new playlists and things to listen to.

Whatever Apple does for its video streaming needs to be something similar. In the mood for Sci-fi? The TV tosses some recommendations for you that could be in any number of locations like your iTunes share or in Netflix. Or, the TV sees you've been binge watching Breaking Bad so it has the next episode up on it's front page for you.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Those apps are just glorified "login with your tv provider" things. Except for CBS which is worthless unless you sign up for their All Access sub.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

It should.

Also, I really wouldn't worry about not being able score one when they go on sale.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Anyone here have one from the developer program? I'm kinda curious about the app size. I can't imagine most apps being that large. Games will be the biggest one of course but I figure apps like Netflix which are just glorified web pages will be that large.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Kenderama posted:

Yup. And looks like if you shell out for $20 for the extra shipping you can have it this week instead of after the weekend.

I bet you can just walk into Best Buy on Friday and buy one.

• Locked thread