Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
MickRaider
Aug 27, 2004

Now I smell like lemonade!

Thwomp posted:

This incremental stuff is just teasing me Apple. Give me the big innovation already!

Seriously. I want goddamn apps on my goddamn apple tv.

Goddammit!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MickRaider
Aug 27, 2004

Do we know how much space the OS consumes? I assume it's under 1 gig.

7 gigs for apps seems like plenty. Especially if apple limits it to certain providers.

I envision a Hulu app, ESPN, and major networks like NBC.

MickRaider
Aug 27, 2004

The latest ATV iOS is 5.0.2 (5.1.1) and you can jailbreak it: http://support.firecore.com/entries/387605

Plex works fine.

MickRaider
Aug 27, 2004

Has anyone figured out how to get the NBC olypics live streaming app to work on their apple tv.

I have an iPhone 4 and a '11 MBP. I can't get it to work on my iphone, just plays the sound. And I don't really see an option to just airplay the webapp without mirroring my whole laptop

Any advice on this?

MickRaider
Aug 27, 2004

einTier posted:

It's shameful the low number of encodings that Apple software will read.
You mean they want to encourage people to buy their media and give them the easiest possible method of doing so?

I wouldn't call it shameful so much as progressive. It's up to companies to combat piracy by providing the simplest of all methods for media consumption. By making it a standard codec than all media distributors can provide this as their norm making it very easy for the end user to deal with.

With that said I prefer plex after using XBMC on xbox's for years. After my last ATV jailbreak and trying XBMC I was underwhelmed with the integration. Plex is simple enough and I run a desktop server so it just makes sense.

MickRaider
Aug 27, 2004

Legdiian posted:

This may be a dumb question, but if I go to Walmart and buy a DVD out of the $5 bin, what is the official "Apple way" to get that media on my Apple TV?

Instead of driving to Walmart why not just buy it or rent it right from your appletv in high definition. I know there's a lot of materialism that comes with owning something tangible but honestly if I can just own the rights to cloud digital viewing I prefer that

MickRaider
Aug 27, 2004

Is anyone else disappointed that mac airplay is mirror only? And it doesn't transfer sound all the time?

Why can't I just stream a flash video instead of the whole display

MickRaider
Aug 27, 2004

Except there are non-apple apps that do just that.

At least have HTML5 support for airplay. Can we all agree that would be useful?

MickRaider
Aug 27, 2004

mongoibur posted:

How about using clicktoplugin? You get an option to send the video to your apple tv in the upper left corner.
http://hoyois.github.com/safariextensions/clicktoplugin/

I still can't get that to work. Unfortunately I have flash on here.

MickRaider
Aug 27, 2004

Those of you looking to cash in on your ATV2's better sell them fast.

ATV3 has been jailbroken, Beta soon

Edit: Apparently only a rumor:

FCKGW posted:

No, it hasn't. This is a garbage press release that the website appletv3jailbreak.com keeps buying. I've seen this news spam all over the place the past few weeks, trying to drive traffic to their website.

There is no AppleTV 3 jailbreak. Just read the article, the website referenced isn't a "hacking group", it's a blog with a bunch of ads and affiliate links.

Here's what nitoTV said just 2 weeks ago.

MickRaider fucked around with this message at 19:49 on Dec 6, 2012

MickRaider
Aug 27, 2004

FCKGW posted:

No, it hasn't.

Sorry about the bad source. Was excited about the potential only to have it poof away.

Glad I still have my ATV2

MickRaider
Aug 27, 2004

Netflix on ATV is by far the best experience that I've come across.

MickRaider
Aug 27, 2004

The ATV has an 8W power supply. So at full use it's still equivalent to like a fridge halogen light.

MickRaider
Aug 27, 2004

I just want plex back :(

MickRaider
Aug 27, 2004

Plex is also a million times better of an interface than iTunes. Using itunes to play media is loving annoying because there's no scrapers to pull show data, so everytime you rip a dvd you have to go into itunes, tell it they're TV Shows, label the series, go into individual episodes place in the episode name and season. Whereas plex can just automagically detect the tv show and episode from handbrake conversion and nicely organizes it with all that information and also episode summaries.

MickRaider
Aug 27, 2004

I mean I love my ATV2, but is it really 3x as good as a Roku or ATV3?

MickRaider
Aug 27, 2004

kloa posted:

I'll wait for a la carte HBO to come (it won't).
It'll happen the same time they offer sporting events a la carte. (they won't)

MickRaider
Aug 27, 2004

BromanderData posted:

Just picked one up today and it's been great so far.

The Netflix interface is so much better than the janky one on my Samsung TV.

Pretty much anything is better than the Samsung SmartTV interface. That shits embarrassingly bad. We bought it thinking we could move our ATV. Definitely not

MickRaider
Aug 27, 2004

haveblue posted:

The old Apple TV was a Mac Mini with no screen, the current one is an iPod Touch with no screen.

They've always been an ipod touch with no screen. Except for the original. Unless that's what you mean, then WOOPS

MickRaider
Aug 27, 2004

Thwomp posted:

It's Buzzfeed and I'll really fully believe it when I see it but latest report has Apple pushing ahead with a September debut of new AppleTV hardware. The Apple branded TV streaming subscription service will apparently wait until all the deals are signed. All the hardware details are reconfirmed: A8 processor, onboard storage, new remote with a touchpad, Siri support, and an App store/SDK.

Looks like Sept 9th is the date: http://appleinsider.com/articles/15/08/27/apple-sends-invitations-for-sept-9-iphone-6s-and-apple-tv-event-hey-siri-give-us-a-hint

MickRaider
Aug 27, 2004

I hope it can sync up to a blaster to turn on my surround sound receiver. Kinda doubt that will happen but would be cool.

At least the rumors of them making a full on television have all but ceased

MickRaider
Aug 27, 2004

Yeah I'm using my receiver as a middleman. I use a logitech link to turn everything on. I do do optical out to use my the samsung SmartTV app (plex)

I should look and see if my receiver can CEC control my TV.

Though I'd still need to use my link to switch between inputs like my cable box, xbox 360, and ps3 (lol last gen).

Would be nice for the ATV to handle that, but that's more fanciful than something I think would happen.

MickRaider
Aug 27, 2004

Are you serious?

Yup, it seriously sucks

MickRaider
Aug 27, 2004

FCKGW posted:

Guys will the new ATV have rocket league this is important

I'll be happy when it comes out for OSX

MickRaider
Aug 27, 2004

When the AppleTV2 was released, 1080p was already a very common thing. It's not surprising that they wouldn't adopt 4K when 1080p is just fine.

MickRaider
Aug 27, 2004

Does the firestick do airplay? Otherwise it's worthless (owns a firestick)

Also when will we be able to preorder the ATV4 already

MickRaider
Aug 27, 2004

thrawn527 posted:

I think the question was more "do they do the same thing as Airplay?" Can they stream display and/or content from a computer or smart phone?

Yes it was. Everyone talks about how great other players are but they don't have the best feature that apple devices have.

Call Me Charlie posted:

Yes, but not well. (miracast)
how not well?

MickRaider
Aug 27, 2004

probably because half the android phones are at least a generation or 2 behind in updates.

MickRaider
Aug 27, 2004

Ugh when are they going to announce a pre-order date already?

MickRaider
Aug 27, 2004

Times I use my AppleTV Remote:

1) Hard reset
2) Setting up internet to use the Remote app

[/list]

MickRaider
Aug 27, 2004

Kaizoku posted:

You forgot when the internet goes out and you're suddenly only watching local network media
Wouldn't the remote app still work without Internet? Wifi would still work

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MickRaider
Aug 27, 2004

I'm planning getting the 32gig. Historically most apps are pretty small so even if you fill up just delete a few things. Probably won't buy many videos though

• Locked thread