Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Suqit
Apr 25, 2005

Stars Stripes Freedom Jozy
(Jozy not pictured here)

golgo13sf posted:

Unfortunately I don't watch either one.

College and pro football and college bball are my poison.

Not the end of the world, I'd probably have more fun watching at a bar or a friend's house anyway.

And then probably spend every bit of savings you accrued from dropping cable.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Suqit
Apr 25, 2005

(Jozy not pictured here)

cbirdsong posted:

I kind of feel like, considering how the AppleTV is set up right now, they need to stay away from the idea of siloed iOS-style apps for most video content. We've got access to Hulu, Netflix, and iTunes, and you basically have to search each one of them individually to find out if they have any particular thing available to watch. (And add one more source if you've ripped DVDs and have them in a computer's iTunes library.) Adding more generic TV/movie apps like Amazon Instant Video or Vudu or whatever network-specific is only going to make it worse.

Ideally, they figure out some way to make it so that when you hit TV shows it just looks through all the sources of content you have configured, and shows you a big list of TV shows with various sorting and search features for all of it. The current system is basically set up to funnel you into buying things from iTunes, and treats the other apps as second-class citizens. The seams are really going to show if they open the floodgates.

I agree this would be best but I would be willing to sort through all the bullshit if we ever got Amazon Instant.

Suqit
Apr 25, 2005

(Jozy not pictured here)

please respond posted:

Is there any way to normalize the volume? Watching Drive on Netflix and the dialog is quiet but the engine noises, etc, is deafening. I turned on "sound check" and it didn't do a thing.

Are you listening to it in stereo or surround? What kind of TV do you have?

Suqit
Apr 25, 2005

(Jozy not pictured here)

echobucket posted:

My hope for the new Apple TV is a bluetooth remote.

And the ability to buy that remote for older Apple TVs.

Do you not have an iphone or ipod or iPad to run remote on?

Suqit
Apr 25, 2005

(Jozy not pictured here)

echobucket posted:

I want real buttons. Using a touch screen remote sucks because you have to try to look at your touchscreen and the screen of the Apple TV at the same time.

Interesting. I like the no buttons because its basically one big button; tap to pause or resume, swipe to rewind or ff.

Suqit
Apr 25, 2005

(Jozy not pictured here)

Joe Don Baker posted:

Good to know. Thanks!

I'll tell you, I bought the ATV3 on a whim when it was released. The more I use it, which is a lot, I've found it's a severely under-rated Apple product. It's my primary device for my TV now. I can't tell you the last time I used my PS3 or Xbox for media purposes. We don't have cable and we don't miss it one bit. The ATV does everything we'd need.

Agreed and same on everything. My only wish is still for amazon instant access but that won't ever happen :qq:

I also bought one for work and amaze my coworkers with mirroring my laptop. Plus it's a big hit at parties.

Suqit
Apr 25, 2005

(Jozy not pictured here)

Atarian posted:

Seriously considering doing something like this, but is there a device i can run both XBMC and Netflix on? I really only use the ATV for netflix nowadays, since i have a separate nettop for xbmc, but netflix wont run on the nettop. I just want to have one device for everything. Seems impossible.

I am pretty sure you can do both (as well as Hulu and Amazon Instant) on a PS3.

Suqit
Apr 25, 2005

(Jozy not pictured here)
I've been using remote on two iphones with my 3rd generation AppleTV for around a year now. Starting a few days ago neither phone will recognize the AppleTV. I've force quit the application, deleted and reinstalled, reset the AppleTV, setup the AppleTV as new, and reset the router, all to no avail. Anyone have any ideas? Or is this take it back to the Apple Store?

Suqit
Apr 25, 2005

(Jozy not pictured here)

Dr. Video Games 0050 posted:

Don't you have to do something in the settings menu on the atv under remote?

E: or home sharing?

Yeah I had to reactivate the remote under settings. I wonder why it stopped to begin with.

Suqit
Apr 25, 2005

(Jozy not pictured here)

smackfu posted:

At this point, if you have a subscription video service, it seems like a pretty good bet that you could get it on Apple TV as an app, despite there not being any apps.

Except for Amazon Instant.

:qq:

Suqit
Apr 25, 2005

(Jozy not pictured here)

10-8 posted:

Amazon just updated its iOS streaming app to allow Airplay to the Apple TV. I'm pretty sure that HBO previously did the same shortly before releasing a native Apple TV solution.

I think I am going to cry. :qq:

Suqit
Apr 25, 2005

(Jozy not pictured here)

haveblue posted:

What makes Amazon Prime more major than the last silent update that installed a bunch of new streaming apps?

If you have Amazon Prime it gives you access to 100's of movies for free, it's a really good selection. It also gives you another avenue to rent and buy movies and TV shows that aren't necessarily available on Netflix, Hulu, or iTunes.

Suqit
Apr 25, 2005

(Jozy not pictured here)
I use an Apple TV and an Amazon Fire stick both plugged into my AV receiver and switch between the two with an input change, control both with my phone.

Now that I can get HBO I don't think I will use the Firestick too much. It was great for all their HBO shows, and of course Prime video. But will only use it for Prime video now.

Suqit
Apr 25, 2005

(Jozy not pictured here)

Subjunctive posted:

I'd love to seriously try other TV devices, but so much iTunes content...

Nothing is stopping you from using more than one. I use an apple TV and an amazon fire stick. Different inputs on the same TV.

Suqit
Apr 25, 2005

(Jozy not pictured here)

African AIDS cum posted:

I haven't really figured out a "use case" for my fire stick and the interface lag is kinda annoying

I just use it for Amazon Prime instant stuff that's not available on Netflix or Hulu.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Suqit
Apr 25, 2005

(Jozy not pictured here)
Amazon is opening up instant video to iOS devices. Effective today. Thank the sweet baby Jesus.

• Locked thread