Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Tigertron posted:

I am having a bit of a convenience issue using my atv3 at the moment. I have a slower internet connection but I would like to view 1080p/hd content for a movie when I arrive home late in the evening and I don't have 2 hours to buffer. If I purchase/rent on my ipad2 and download while I go about my day at school will I be able to AirPlay 1080p/hd content when I get home?

I really just need to reiterate that the aTv experience has been amazing. The free iTunes content is validating enough; I picked up a planet earth series episode from Starbucks the other day and it looked gorgeous.

Yes, you can airplay any iTunes content from any device authenticated to the same iTunes/Home Sharing account.

Also keep in mind that if you start the two-hour buffer on the ATV and then leave it alone, it will wait for you to manually start playback when you get home after it finishes the download.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
I wonder if there will be any obstacles to full screening the Hulu web player and airplaying it to your TV. DVD Player disables the screenshot command so there's some sort of DRM respecting system built into the OS.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
Handbrake can handle the entire thing and you end up with an iTunes-compatible video. It's almost the exact same process as converting a file.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
Working fine for me from an iPhone 5 to an ATV 2. It just has that common problem where playback stops if you lock the phone.

e: You get a Netflix logo if you enable mirroring while running the app but not playing a movie; once the movie starts playing it appears on the TV.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
Is wireless really the bottleneck there? Unless you're on Google Fiber it almost certainly has vastly more bandwidth than what's coming into your house and even in that case the stream from Go is probably only a couple of Mbps. I've been airplaying Go a lot recently and have no complaints about the quality (on an ATV2, no less, although it is wired).

There are fresh rumors about Apple TV apps now that Apple seems to have made a commitment to officially supporting game controllers but then again we get rumors about Apple TV apps every time an Apple executive opens his mouth.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
Why do you have an iPad and not an Android tablet?

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
Don't let it connect to the internet?

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
What makes Amazon Prime more major than the last silent update that installed a bunch of new streaming apps?

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
I mean, technologically. Whether an update is silent or not doesn't depend on the amount of content it provides, just on whether the device needs to make changes to the underlying OS and reboot afterward. Apple's already shown they're capable of silently installing streaming apps that point to new content, so unless Amazon is hooked much deeper into the system than I'm imagining it may not necessarily be a prompted update.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
Ah, OK, that does make sense then.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
4) Keep your old phone and use it only for watching HBO Go over wifi. Activating a new phone doesn't totally brick your old one, it just gets kicked off the cellular network and remains fully functional in every other way.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
drat, now my generation 2 ATV is looking kinda old. All I use it for is Netflix anyway.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
Your choices seem to be either enable QOS on the router, or buy Netflix's new cheaper plan that disables HD streaming at their end.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
The OS probably contains WebKit even if no apps use it, and they would roll in any security fixes because that's always a good thing.

Where's the changelog?

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
The remote has no smarts itself, it just emits infrared signals tagged with a unique ID. So you can bind a device to only allow a single remote to use it but you can't bind a remote to not control other devices.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
What is this "smart hub" and does it work with the Harmony One?

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
That setup would work, yes. If the disk can be mounted in the Finder then its contents can go into iTunes, and if it's in iTunes it can go to the ATV (if it's in a supported format).

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
It would be so, so Apple to have it just say "computer" if only one computer was detected on the LAN.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
Where does it say "starting at"? All the pages I looked at say "Just $69".

Also, another question- if I swap out my old 720P ATV with one of the new ones, is there any sort of data transfer process or do I just log back into iTunes and Home Sharing and that's it?

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

OGB posted:

I wonder if this is really going to be a SlingTV competitor, or more just allowed access to the different existing Apple TV apps (ESPN, Disney, Fox, FX Now, etc.) under one general cost?

Don't all of those need a cable provider login? If this new package doesn't, that's huge. (If the rumor is true.)

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
Same here.

I'm not sure what the device would do with a large amount of local storage, though.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
Caching really isn't that necessary when home network and broadband capacity is greater than the data rate of most media files. I think the box being streaming-only is intentional and won't change anytime soon.

If they want to make it a complete home server, though, that could be really good.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
The old Apple TV was a Mac Mini with no screen, the current one is an iPod Touch with no screen.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
:downsrim:

OK, a Mac Mini with component and HDMI out instead of VGA and DVI.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
I was just coming here to ask when it was going to be enabled :v:

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

gypsyshred posted:

Any difference between that and HBO Go, aside from how you sign up?

Go comes with the ability to watch through your cable box without being able to pick the show, Now doesn't. If you already has Go then Now has no value to you.

How long is the typical lag before new content goes up on Go/Now?

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
The official limit is 10 devices, of which up to 5 may be computers.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

OldSenileGuy posted:

I'm hesitant to even post this because I don't want to jinx anything, but I run a ~10 year old Mac Mini as my iTunes client and Home Sharing plays perfectly with it and my Apple TV. I pretty much try to limit my content to 720p, even though I've never been able to get a solid answer on whether the Mac or the AppleTV does the heavy lifting when trying to play a video on the AppleTV through home sharing.

The Apple TV does the heavy lifting, it streams compressed and gets run through the hardware decoder afterward.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

GutBomb posted:

I have a question about airplay. If I am watching streaming video on my phone and switch to airplay does the phone send the stream url to the Apple tv and the Apple tv restarts the stream from that point, our doors the phone still stream the content down from the internet and then stream it up to the Apple tv?

The former (well, all of Apple's apps do that, I don't know about every third party one).

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
An IR blaster doesn't seem Apple's style. CEC would be nice, though.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
Can the Xbone be controlled with an IR universal remote?

(Serious question)

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
I only ever used my PS4 for streaming when I had an ATV2 that could only do 720p. Once I upgraded to a 3 it took over all that.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Duckman2008 posted:

So It's an Apple TV with a bit better HD, App Store, and Wii like games. Am I missing anything?

Voice navigation.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
I'm a bit sad that I won't be able to control the new ATV with my Harmony.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
It's your basic tech chicken-and-egg problem. The network capacity isn't there so no one's leaping to serve 4K content. The content isn't there so adoption of 4K gear is sluggish. The gear isn't widespread so the demand for infrastructure to support it is weak. So the network doesn't get upgraded.

If the new game consoles supported 4K output (or if Steam machines take off) then we might break this stalemate, but streaming video won't do it.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

ufarn posted:

I've been wondering, too: what, if anything, is the difference between watching Mad Max on ATV (current version) vs on the PS4? I think ATV doesn't have HD audio, but I'm not even sure what that is, but my surround system supports DTS and Dolby.

If you mean watching it on Blu-Ray, that will have noticeably higher quality than an ITMS rental (or any other streamable source that isn't a straight BR rip).

The tradeoff is that the PS4 will produce a small amount of noise that the ATV doesn't, although with a movie like that it won't matter.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
I'll keep using this Harmony or something like it for as long as possible, so I've never needed to use the app. Lockscreen/control panel integration would be pretty great, though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
Apple has launched the most popular electronics product in the world for the past eight years or so. They know how to handle demand.

• Locked thread