Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Bass Bottles
Jan 14, 2006

BOSS BATTLES DID NOTHING WRONG
Signed up for HBO Now. Pretty excited to finally have legitimate access to HBO, though as a $15 "premium service" I feel like the picture quality could be a little better.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bass Bottles
Jan 14, 2006

Legdiian posted:

When did everyone forget that Apple devices have their own price points and people will buy them anyway?

I feel like they probably leaked the $200 price point on purpose so that when it comes out for less than that people will say "Oh, nice, less expensive than I expected!"

Even $150 is pretty extreme, though. I don't think Apple is going to see much success with this device. The Fire TV was thrown under the bus almost immediately by Amazon when they realized people only want cheap little sticks.

Bass Bottles
Jan 14, 2006

Thwomp posted:

With a dedicated app store, I bet Apple markets it as a low-cost gaming console/true entertainment solution. Maybe highlight the controller protocol they already have in place. Just link up your apple-approved bluetooth controller (or iOS Remote app) and play your favorite iOS racing/FPS game.

Yeah but that's exactly how Amazon advertised the Fire TV. They even invested pretty heavily in first-party game development, which Apple will never do.

It's just kind of sad that 2015 will be the year of Apple launching a bunch of failed products. The new slightly improved iPhones will do well I guess.

Edit: I feel like the "hobby" label is just an excuse for poor sales. It's a fully realized product, same as everything else they sell. They should have called the Apple Watch a hobby but they were overconfident and now it's probably too late to go back.

Bass Bottles
Jan 14, 2006

That's actually a legitimate advantage over Netflix for Prime. Pretty cool.

Bass Bottles
Jan 14, 2006

Endless Mike posted:

Well, the Apple TV doesn't poo poo ads all over the place, if nothing else. It also uses way less energy and is completely silent.

The Xbox may also have issues with "black crush" where the color levels are permanently out-of-whack to artificially make the colors seem more rich. I know this affects games and the HDMI passthrough, but I'm not sure if apps like Netflix can choose to disable it. If you have trouble seeing detail in scenes with low-lighting, this is probably what's happening.

Bass Bottles
Jan 14, 2006

I use my PS4 for media streaming more than the ATV because of the headphone jack in the controller. Apple really needs to copy this. Or at least make an iPhone/iPad app.

Bass Bottles
Jan 14, 2006

Check back in two years.

Bass Bottles
Jan 14, 2006

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

Did they say if the Siri mic is in the remote or in the Apple TV?

It's in the remote, and you need to push a button to activate it.

Bass Bottles
Jan 14, 2006

The current Apple TV will not get the App Store.

Bass Bottles
Jan 14, 2006

The only reason it's weird that Apple didn't put 4k in the new ATV is because the new IPhones can record content at that resolution. Now there's no obvious way to view your 4k videos, making it seem a little pointless? I guess they'll look nice on iPad screens though.

Bass Bottles
Jan 14, 2006

Planned obsolescence is part of Apple's design philosophy. They hold on to new iPhone features just so they have something to show off next year. I don't think it's cynical to assume that, it's just known.

Bass Bottles
Jan 14, 2006

Triglav posted:

Anecdotal, but I really have a hard time believing the planned obsolescence talk when the Apple stuff I buy greatly outlives anything else my friends and family buy.

Some years ago I bought a MacBook Pro and an iPhone 3G. I just installed El Capitan on that MacBook Pro, and two years ago I replaced the iPhone 3G with an iPhone 5S. The iPhone 5S runs iOS 9 just as good as the iOS 7 it came with. The chip's still speedy, the display's still great, it's still got Touch ID, it still runs every app I throw at it, there's simply no reason to upgrade beyond camera lust, Apple Pay, and that new 3D Touch stuff I've lived however many years without.

I particularly remember hearing about planned obsolescence with Air Drop, Airplay, and Apple Pay, but it's hard to do stuff like that when the required chips physically don't exist.

I think we have different definitions. I just mean that they deliberately hold back features so that they can get people to upgrade yearly.

They probably figured that people will be less likely to upgrade to the next Apple TV without a standout feature besides "better graphics" so they left 4k out of this one. I think in two years we'll get an upgraded one with 4k and the latest iPhone chip or whatever.

Bass Bottles
Jan 14, 2006

Electric Bugaloo, that actually makes a lot of sense. If they ever do release a 4k Apple TV they'll probably want to do it as part of a big push for 4k on the Apple ecosystem. iTunes movies, apps, etc. I know there have been rumors of 4k iTunes media but I have no idea when that will become actually feasible.

It still seems a little weird to have the new iPhones do 4k video with no official Apple way to display it on a TV, but it must have been easy enough to throw in due to the constant camera upgrades or whatever.

Bass Bottles
Jan 14, 2006

If Apple is ever going to move beyond 1080p they'll have to give their users more than 16gb of storage. I'm beginning to think it will never happen.

Bass Bottles
Jan 14, 2006

Keystoned posted:

I went on a 1000 mile motorcycle trip over labor day and being able to use siri to control apple music convinced me to switch. Being able to hit the siri buttton on my headset and say "play whatever", and it actually working was amazing.

That's exactly the kind of ridiculous thing you see the models in Apple commercials do. It must be calibrated for your lifestyle.

Do you ever laugh while looking over your wife's shoulder as she swipes around the Travelocity app on her Apple iPad? Maybe while sitting on a white couch in a minimalist apartment with a huge window behind you that perfectly highlights the sunset-orange New York skyline?

Bass Bottles
Jan 14, 2006

It was meant as light-hearted joke amongst comrades *weakly punches shoulder* :smith:

Bass Bottles
Jan 14, 2006

Amazon just hit back pretty hard against the new Apple TV.

The new Fire TV does 4k, Siri-esque voice search, 802.11ac MIMO wifi, HEVC decoding, MAYDAY tech support help for your beloved elders, and it has a microSD slot (for up to 128gb), plus the game controller has a headphone jack!!!!!!!!!!!! (They should have put that in the regular remote, too. It's seriously the biggest feature imo)

All that for only $100.

It's honestly pretty tempting, but I'll probably still get the Apple TV because of airplay, iTunes, and the fact that developers will always favor iOS over Android so it will probably have a better app selection eventually. This probably makes me a sucker.

Bass Bottles
Jan 14, 2006

I actually wouldn't buy either any time soon because my ATV3 works fine, but eventually I'll probably want a device with an actual App Store.

Bass Bottles
Jan 14, 2006

Martytoof posted:

To be honest I'd rather have a fair shot at being considered for a dev unit than having Apple guess that I'm ineligible because I haven't developed something that would "fit" on an AppleTV before. I think what they did was pretty fair.

Also maybe this is just my cynical view but I don't think Apple sees it to be in their best interests to help Plex establish themselves on the AppleTV. I mean they will regardless, but essentially it's just another media player that gives people options other than iTunes/Netflix. There's really no reason to help them from a business perspective other than goodwill, which would have been nice but whatever.

Speaking of Plex -- your days are numbered, living room roku :argh:

Giving the Apple TV an App Store in general is sort of a strike against iTunes, but so was Apple Music. They know iTunes' days are numbered.

They're still primarily a hardware company, though, so if people choose to use Plex on an Apple TV instead of a Fire TV that's a win for them.

Bass Bottles
Jan 14, 2006

Maybe Apple rejected it. They have a history of rejecting apps that "copy the functionality of official Apple apps" or something.

I'm really curious to see if the new Apple TV allows stuff like Vudu or Amazon. They already allow Google video (through YouTube).

Bass Bottles
Jan 14, 2006

Thwomp posted:

Wasn't there already a Vudu app?

So far, the article only mentions the current AppleTV which doesn't support an App Store nor has an approved Amazon app.

I can't believe that Amazon would seriously cut themselves out of vector for customers just to sell more of their own hardware. They've got Kindle and Instant Video apps for iOS afterall.

There's no Vudu app yet. YouTube is the only competing service on Apple TV, and it doesn't let you view the store or buy stuff, just playback your purchases.

This seems like Amazon being jerks, though. They recently said they were finally going to make Prime available on Android so I'm surprised if they're going back the other direction.

Bass Bottles
Jan 14, 2006

HBO actually is okay with it. Apple and Google are getting part of those subscription fees. Part of it is because HBO has no system for taking money on their own, they've always worked through other companies. Their HBO Now system is just a continuation of that.

Bass Bottles
Jan 14, 2006

This probably IS them trying to negotiate down that % of income. They're not thinking that banning Apple TV will drive sales on the Fire TV, they're just trying to hurt Apple enough to get the upper-hand in discussions over the inevitable Prime app.

Bass Bottles
Jan 14, 2006

Apple hates video games so no probably not

Bass Bottles
Jan 14, 2006

Thwomp posted:

Which is a weird stance to take because they were big behind the initial iOS App Store gaming scene. The early iPod Touches were heavily marketed with gaming as a focus.

But then Apple goes and requires devs to support the new Remote and disallowed requiring a separate controller.

And they break games every time they update iOS. A lot of those games just get pulled instead of fixed.

They're happy to rake in the money from games, but they won't put any effort into it themselves.

Bass Bottles
Jan 14, 2006

Endless Mike posted:

Not sure how this is Apple's fault.

It doesn't seem to happen on Android, so it's something they're doing.

Bass Bottles
Jan 14, 2006

I'm 99% certain I've read somewhere that it does.

Bass Bottles
Jan 14, 2006

I hate having to push the on button, swipe right, input my passcode, click the remote app, and wait for it to load every time I want to hit one button, like pause. Remote apps are a pain in the butt imo. Plus mine is super laggy when scrolling and I always have to go back and forth trying to home in on whatever.

But the Apple TV Remote is also garbage because that button wheel feels unpleasant and unresponsive, and you have to hold the dumb thing up, out, and pointed directly at the Apple TV to get it to work.

Bass Bottles
Jan 14, 2006

Hold the menu button down.

Yes they hid crucial functionality where 99% of users would never find it lol

Bass Bottles
Jan 14, 2006

Simple(tm)

Bass Bottles
Jan 14, 2006

Mahoning posted:

Not only that, but those apps frequently sign you out and it makes it absolutely obnoxious to have to reauthorize poo poo like every other week.

Seriously!!

This is like 72% of why I stopped watching American Horror Story

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bass Bottles
Jan 14, 2006

Diabolik900 posted:

Almost positive that's a no. You'll need to track down the Apple TV 1 to do that.

Really? That's actually too bad, if true. One of the main advantages of iTunes for me was being able to download videos before watching them so I wouldn't have to deal with buffering, or the Netflix effect where things look REALLY BAD for the first 40 seconds and then again for random 30 second intervals.

• Locked thread