Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
TraderStav
May 19, 2006

It feels like I was standing my entire life and I just sat down
Done with my Boxee and just picked up the new ATV. What should I expect when I get home to set it up to Airplay from my iPad and Airvideo? I already have the server running on my Win7 PC and it works to the iPad/iPhone. Should I keep a charger next to my couch for the iPad while watching? Quality-wise it works reasonably well? Aside from that, I'm (im)patiently waiting for the ATV3 jailbreak to put XBMC natively on the puppy. I imagine it'll be very solid with the boost in processor and all.

Never played around with an ATV, aside from the Airplay/XBMC, what other sweet things does it do well that I should be super impressed with. I don't have Netflix or subscribe to any other online services. ESPN3 work?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

Thwomp posted:

If the server is already running, you should be good to go. Just hit the airplay button once you start live converting your video and it'll pop up on the appletv almost immediately. Quality is pretty good for converting stuff on the fly and sending it wirelessly to an aTV.

And since the iPad has a huge rear end battery, I wouldn't worry about needing a charger right there. Just set it to charge at night and it'll be golden.

Don't hold your breath for an aTV3 jailbreak. It's in the OP but someone will need to find a new hardware exploit to make it work again. I wonder if the aTV2 will eventually see higher demand for used units than aTV3 since it's jailbreakable (provided a new hardware exploit isn't found)?

Other sweet stuff with aTV: Mirroring is fun to mess with but I find it's more useless. You can already send video, audio, and pictures (i think) via airplay so why mirror? I can see the usefulness in a presentation setting.

Also, having an aTV really opens up a good avenue for cutting the cable tv cord long term. My wife and I just cut it and the only thing it really needs is native Hulu support. You can get it via jailbreak but Hulu has a history of actively fighting workarounds to get it into jailbroken devices. I happened to have an old WD TV Live Plus sitting around so that's set up for Hulu Plus full time. I assume a cheap Roku box could do the same.

Grab a $35-40 Mofu Leaf antenna (works surprising well), a Hulu-capable player/jailbroken aTV and an aTV for stuff not found online anywhere else (via iTunes Season passes) and you're set.

We just cancelled DirecTV and are Usenet subscribers so we should be pretty much set on the Cord-cutting. Also found out that if I split my cable modem I get the basics in SD (locals in HD) so that's good for a quick browse if we're bored. Feeling like I'm approaching Nirvana with my set up save for the Airplay workaround. I also like the fact that since we both have iPhone 4s's we can just pop open Airplay and do it right from our phones, although it'll take away our attention-detractor-device during the shows! (may not be a bad thing)

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

Plugged the new atv3 into my Samsung dlp and nothing is on my screen. Tried another hdmi cable and rebooted the box. I have a solid white light on the front. Any ideas?

Edit: unit works on my newer lg. tried again on the 2004ish Samsung. No dice.

TraderStav fucked around with this message at 00:22 on Apr 28, 2012

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

TraderStav posted:

Plugged the new atv3 into my Samsung dlp and nothing is on my screen. Tried another hdmi cable and rebooted the box. I have a solid white light on the front. Any ideas?

Edit: unit works on my newer lg. tried again on the 2004ish Samsung. No dice.

Herp derp. It's probably because it defaults to 1080p and my tv only does 720p. Need to figure out how to set it up and hook it back up.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

Legdiian posted:

It should default to "Auto" if I recall, but you're right. Try setting it to 720p on the LG and then trying the Samsung.

Frackity frack, that didnt do it. Time for a deep google dive unless you guys got any ideas. Is there some advanced hdmi requirement that my older tv may not have.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

Ugh. Looking like my tv just isn't compatible. I may try out a hdmi to component convertor and see if that works. There goes my plug and play. :(

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

Actually thinking my hdmi port is busted. That would explain why the boxee had issues as well as the ATV. Going to test out my Xbox and see if that has issues. May be a good time to replace the set. :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

Dogen posted:

I had a Sammy DLP from 2003 and it had HDCP over HDMI and DVI.

Yeah. It's all pointing to the hdmi. Either I get a converter and do that rig job or bite the bullet and make this a basement tv. Appreciate the input guys.

• Locked thread