Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Max Facetime
Apr 18, 2009

Used to be that Comp Scis got taught Object-Oriented Design in Java so they went on to inflict the most horrible AbstractAbstractUiFactory class hierarchies on whoever hired them first.

Anyone not guilty raise their hand: :colbert:

Nowadays these crimes are committed in a wide variety of up-and-coming-and-going programming languages no-one decent has heard of.

Well, turns out these new amazing features have all been invented in the 60's and they are all really easy to rewrite in readable and maintainable Java (or C# if you lean that way) and any StrategyInterpreterDelegateImplementations you only inflict on yourself.

This is really the best time to be an experienced software developer, or maybe a programming language biologist would be a better fitting term. Almost every day there's a new weird specimen to wonder, study, dissect and bring into the fold. But don't let that stop you.

Maybe misunderstood Python is really not "Shaka, when the walls fell." but really "Temba, his arms wide!"
Maybe Erlang on Desktop will unleash all (ALL!) the cores.
Maybe the Next Next Big Thing is totally going to be Rhino on Rails.

Maybe.

Naaaaaaah :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

X-BUM-RAIDER-X
May 7, 2008
python is a really cool language

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...
perl, c, x86 asm

all u need

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
p languages are bad
use java or c#
etc.. etc..

Inverse Icarus
Dec 4, 2003

I run SyncRPG, and produce original, digital content for the Pathfinder RPG, designed from the ground up to be played online.
i'm pretty happy that the college i went to was staffed by a bunch of old farts who refused to teach their corses in anything but c/c++

my little brother has been coding almost exclusively in java in school (high school and freshman year of college)

at least he's played with arduinos a bit and knows some c

CISADMIN PRIVILEGE
Aug 15, 2004

optimized multichannel
campaigns to drive
demand and increase
brand engagement
across web, mobile,
and social touchpoints,
bitch!
:yaycloud::smithcloud:

JawnV6 posted:

perl, c, x86 asm

all u need

i use the language of love

GameCube
Nov 21, 2006

gonna write a :cool: compiler for this class
the language itself is pretty bad but that's because it's written to be easy to write a compiler for, not to actually use

quote:

For instance, the language supports less than comparisons but not greater than.

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...
my compilers class used Decaf, "java w/o the bits that make u jittery"

that Cool looks horrid

Rufus Ping
Dec 27, 2006

I'm a Friend of Rodney Nano

I am in posted:

Well, turns out these new amazing features have all been invented in the 60's and they are all really easy to rewrite in readable and maintainable Java

what the gently caress are you on about

Elder Postsman
Aug 30, 2000

i used hot bot to search for "teens"

i took a java class 12 years ago and our midterm was to make an animation of a cloud moving past above a factory with smoke coming out of its smokestack

that class made me want to never program a computer ever again

but now i'm learning python and c#

HORATIO HORNBLOWER
Sep 21, 2002

no ambition,
no talent,
no chance
the most useful thing i learned in school was how to read/write x86 assembler

Tiny Bug Child
Sep 11, 2004

Avoid Symmetry, Allow Complexity, Introduce Terror

Shaggar posted:

p languages are bad

Tiny Bug Child
Sep 11, 2004

except, of course, for the exception that proves the rule

coaxmetal
Oct 21, 2010

I flamed me own dad

OBAMA BIN LAUGHIN posted:

Max Facetime
Apr 18, 2009

oooh, I meant to ask in the other thread about semantic web but it got closed

is the future semantic web going to let me open my phone and see both facebook AND twitter in the same list?

cos that would really be something

I bet it will make use of some really amazing languages

coaxmetal
Oct 21, 2010

I flamed me own dad
also I love python but this thread is just gonna turn into a slugfest with tbc and shagger making GBS threads everywhere, itll get all over the walls and it will be hell to clean you you will just have to move out and have the whole house demolished never have a party like that again

anyway close the thread

Tiny Bug Child
Sep 11, 2004

god forbid we have an actual programming thread, let's open up 3 more phone threads and one for hockey

I am in posted:

is the future semantic web going to let me open my phone and see both facebook AND twitter in the same list?

you won't even need to because after the Semantic Web gets here you'll just be living in the Cloud at all times as pure consciousness

jooky
Jan 15, 2003

no dont close it i enjoy reading people serious post about code

(this is a serious post)

duTrieux.
Oct 9, 2003

oh no pythons don't let them squeeze you

cowboy beepboop
Feb 24, 2001

I am in posted:

oooh, I meant to ask in the other thread about semantic web but it got closed

cos that would really be something

I bet it will make use of some really amazing languages

wp7 does this already hth

JumpinJackFlash
Nov 15, 2001
Oh boy another thread about programing. Don't you loving nerds have something better to talk about?

Get a loving life you degenerate wastes of flesh.

Emacs Headroom
Aug 2, 2003

its good and sensible and easy to write for and easy to debug

and if performance got you down you can easily write critical parts in c/c++ (using weave if you're doing simple numerical stuff, otherwise using swig)

git apologist
Jun 4, 2003

JumpinJackFlash posted:

Oh boy another thread about programing. Don't you loving nerds have something better to talk about?

Get a loving life you degenerate wastes of flesh.

if tef stays out of it it will evolve into a food thread pretty quickly

PuTTY riot
Nov 16, 2002

Gentle Autist posted:

if tef stays out of it it will evolve into a food thread pretty quickly

i like working 2nd shift except it cuts into my cooking dinner time. p gonna do some fajitas this weekend or something idk

PuTTY riot
Nov 16, 2002
i'd like to make some french bread too then i could make ownage po boys. i think im gonna do that

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug
python ceased to be cool the minute an advertising company bought up everything related to it

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
python was never cool

Hammerite
Mar 9, 2007

And you don't remember what I said here, either, but it was pompous and stupid.
Jade Ear Joe
any language where you cant write anonymous functions is trash. javascript is the best language

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...

Hammerite posted:

any language where you cant write anonymous functions is trash

:confused: like its a reserved word??

coaxmetal
Oct 21, 2010

I flamed me own dad

Hammerite posted:

any language where you cant write anonymous functions is trash. javascript is the best language

nice troll post

but seriously lambdas own. I do kind of wish python could also do anonymous classes, that's one thing that java can do that is kind of nice. That said its way more necessary in java. But still.

newreply.php
Dec 24, 2009

Pillbug
do java/c# if you want easy + money

do objc if you want hard + lots of money

do android devvin' if you want naggy users/pirates + no money

close thread

Max Facetime
Apr 18, 2009

Rufo posted:

what the gently caress are you on about

in the 60's when they were inventing modern computing they didn't know how to make a fast computer let alone a fast programming language

so they just invented all the language features and combined them in different ways to make slow and terrible programming languages because who can blame them, it was all new

so now that we have more computing power than we know what do with, and java pre-empted all to good language features to create the java ecosystem, what can we look forward to?

an endless stream of terrible remixes

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

Ronald Raiden posted:

nice troll post

but seriously lambdas own. I do kind of wish python could also do anonymous classes, that's one thing that java can do that is kind of nice. That said its way more necessary in java. But still.

wait are classes in python not just objects?
code:
      f = Class.new(::BlankSlate)
      f.reveal :instance_variable_set
      unless f.instance_methods.include? :class
        f.reveal :class
      end
      f.new

Rufus Ping
Dec 27, 2006

I'm a Friend of Rodney Nano

I am in posted:

in the 60's when they were inventing modern computing they didn't know how to make a fast computer let alone a fast programming language

so they just invented all the language features and combined them in different ways to make slow and terrible programming languages because who can blame them, it was all new

so now that we have more computing power than we know what do with, and java pre-empted all to good language features to create the java ecosystem, what can we look forward to?

an endless stream of terrible remixes

i dont think you rly understand the idea of different programming paradigms

coaxmetal
Oct 21, 2010

I flamed me own dad

BonzoESC posted:

code:
      end
      f.new

classes are first class objects of type 'type' (I think). But afaik there isn't a class class so you can't do that. Also what language is that.

coaxmetal
Oct 21, 2010

I flamed me own dad

Ronald Raiden posted:

classes ... class ... class class

Police Academy III
Nov 4, 2011

BonzoESC posted:

code:
      end
      f.new

yes they are, but there's not a nice way to make anonymous ones, you have to do something like t = type("bullshit_name", (SuperClass,), {"a_dict": "of attributes"})

A COMPUTER GUY
Aug 23, 2007

I can't spare this man - he fights.

Ronald Raiden posted:

asses ... rear end ... rear end rear end

Police Academy III
Nov 4, 2011
also, if anyone's curious, here is a list of the real (ie non-syntactic) differences between python and ruby:
  • in ruby you can monkeypatch builtin types
  • python has real multiple inheritance
  • python raises an exception when you access an attribute that doesn't exist, ruby returns nil

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FUCK SNEEP
Apr 21, 2007

i'm going to college to learn how to program bideo games (video games). i learned c in the fall and just finished my first c++ class. next semester I take another c++ class, a operating systems class (stuff like multi-threading), and a graphics class. i never have to learn java :hellyeah: