Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

minidracula
Dec 22, 2007

boo woo boo
I've really been sleeping on getting work done on my survey of Wirthian languages, especially during my period of self-funemployment ATM.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

minidracula
Dec 22, 2007

boo woo boo
As long as I'm talking about stuff I meant to do and haven't done yet, have my raw notes to self about emails I wanted to send to The Array Cast folks from like 2.5 years ago:

quote:

2021-12-21

Notes on ArrayCast episodes re: tacit programming

Somewhere in the third tacit programming episode Connor (or someone else?) makes mention that there's a subtle distinction between tacit and point-free programming and that they've covered it in previous episodes (I assume, or vaguely recall they specify[?], tacit programming episodes versus all previous episodes?), but I can't find any mention of that in the previous tacit programming episode transcripts, nor do I recall it from either #1 or #2. What is their sense of the difference between tacit and point-free programming?

Weak pragmatic justifications for tacit programming. Without playing devil's advocate per se, pushing back on some of the given justifications for tacit programming, especially around Connor's love of "beauty". Not that "beauty" might not be real, or meaningful, and not to dismiss it as subjective, but to log it as a subjective judgement and yet nonetheless press for arguably less subjective properties that might be compelling or objectively defensible (at least in the context of the language as such, e.g., not necessarily comparing across languages). Stephen's mention of invertibility in J is a good example. Tounge-in-cheek pathological example of point-free/tacit programming necessarily taken to extreme: Unlambda. Arguments about beauty here would seem not to convince. I can understand, and to some extent hear, arguments re: beauty in connection with "as a tool for thought", which, sure, but are there more interesting justifications if we remove beauty from the menu? What about point-free/tacit programming in other languages outside of array languages, e.g., in stack-based and concatenative languages like Forth, PostScript, Joy(?), Factor(?), etc. Compare: J documentation on trains (esp. old train forms now supported once again in J903) and typical/"conventional" Forth stack diagram notation for words.

2022-01-04

Code golf for its own sake is not fantastic (33:00) [reducing ceremony & noise, etc., Conor]

2006 hui, mistake; hook, dyadic hook -- hooks, esp. when you can spell at least monadic hook with fork.

contact@arraycast.com

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?

Phobeste posted:

to be clear (and admittedly this was a bit ago because it was so loving bad I refused to use it anymore) this is only and entirely speaking about osx docker hosts that run full fledged vms for the children. no other host os has this problem as far as I can tell.

it’s not a host OS “problem,” it’s inherent in what containers are: they’re defined as being a Linux environment, so if you’re not running Linux you have to run a VM to host containers

I don’t use Docker or containers for much of anything because I work on end user software, but for the small amount that I do use them, I use podman on macOS and it works perfectly fine and plenty fast but it runs one VM under the hood, and runs the containers under that

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?

Share Bear posted:

this link and entire page reinforces my outsider view and also adds that i don't think anyone should be writing new C/C++ code in 2024

hey now, don’t mix C in with that C++ nonsense

Internet Janitor
May 17, 2008

"That isn't the appropriate trash receptacle."

minidracula posted:

As long as I'm talking about stuff I meant to do and haven't done yet, have my raw notes to self about emails I wanted to send to The Array Cast folks from like 2.5 years ago:

not to turn it into a long rant, i think it's very unfortunate that j-style forks and trains seem to be infecting most modern arraylangs and they've come to be seen as central features of the paradigm- at least among vocal enthusiasts

in my mind the truly important features are implicit and abstract iteration, having algebras and generalizations over a small, closed collection of types, and the idea of programming directly in the language instead of constructing abstractions

leper khan
Dec 28, 2010
Honest to god thinks Half Life 2 is a bad game. But at least he likes Monster Hunter.

eschaton posted:

hey now, don’t mix C in with that C++ nonsense

C is my favorite C++ replacement language

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

eschaton posted:

it’s not a host OS “problem,” it’s inherent in what containers are: they’re defined as being a Linux environment, so if you’re not running Linux you have to run a VM to host containers

I don’t use Docker or containers for much of anything because I work on end user software, but for the small amount that I do use them, I use podman on macOS and it works perfectly fine and plenty fast but it runs one VM under the hood, and runs the containers under that

we’re moving away from podman on macOS for local development at work because it’s flaky when you push it with a lot of container lifecycle operations and our dev support folks are sick of the headaches. I forget what we’re doing instead, alas

redleader
Aug 18, 2005

Engage according to operational parameters

Subjunctive posted:

so here’s an interesting thing happening in languages

not a fan of anything that makes cpp less unappealing tbh. let it die.

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Subjunctive posted:

we’re moving away from podman on macOS for local development at work because it’s flaky when you push it with a lot of container lifecycle operations and our dev support folks are sick of the headaches. I forget what we’re doing instead, alas

works great for me, but all I’m doing with it is running gcc, binutils, and gdb-multiarch to build and debug some 68K ROM code

I never need to do “a lot of container lifecycle operations” whatever that really implies

minidracula
Dec 22, 2007

boo woo boo
if I have to use containers for something (ugh), podman is the Docker-clone I should/ought to be using instead of actual Docker, right?

this is what I've somewhat inuited via osmosis semi-lately. is it correct?

my homie dhall
Dec 9, 2010

honey, oh please, it's just a machine
docker is a product made by a real company so i’d use it if you have the option. for corporate use you need a license

Share Bear
Apr 27, 2004

podman/containerd is what most people use if they dont wanna use docker

i'm sure there's some weird nix way to run containers too but thats way too obscure for right now

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

iram omni possibili modo preme:
plus una illa te diffamabit, quam multæ virtutes commendabunt

need to run a handful of containers and would appreciate not having a root escalation daemon permanently running -> podman

need to setup some purgatorial service-oriented architecture and want to use a dozen tools selected by throwing darts at the cncf homepage -> docker

Asleep Style
Oct 20, 2010

Share Bear posted:

podman/containerd is what most people use if they dont wanna use docker

i'm sure there's some weird nix way to run containers too but thats way too obscure for right now

the weird nix thing is building container images, not running them
https://nix.dev/tutorials/nixos/building-and-running-docker-images.html

Share Bear
Apr 27, 2004

Asleep Style posted:

the weird nix thing is building container images, not running them
https://nix.dev/tutorials/nixos/building-and-running-docker-images.html

ah i'm still new to the entire thing so i assumed there was some sort of container runtime with it too, thank you

nrook
Jun 25, 2009

Just let yourself become a worthless person!
my team at work used to use python for developer tools. we’re switching to go for new things (I lost the argument for java and tbh java is a dubious fit anyway because of start up latency).

one guy thinks we should have picked c++ but while I really hate go, I don’t think I hate it that much

Sweeper
Nov 29, 2007
The Joe Buck of Posting
Dinosaur Gum
shoulda switched to rust

Share Bear
Apr 27, 2004

nrook posted:

my team at work used to use python for developer tools. we’re switching to go for new things (I lost the argument for java and tbh java is a dubious fit anyway because of start up latency).

one guy thinks we should have picked c++ but while I really hate go, I don’t think I hate it that much

may i ask why they switched away? packaging/isolation/reproducability i'm guessing? maybe speed?

i just switched to ruff from black as an example, and it's SO much better

Dijkstracula
Mar 18, 2003

You can't spell 'vector field' without me, Professor!

this is from a few pages back so apologies but lmao if you think strncpy has fewer sharp corners than strlcpy

any function that potentially leaves a string non terminated is a bad function

rjmccall
Sep 7, 2007

no worries friend
Fun Shoe
strncpy is a really useful utility function for working with fixed-width record databases, which by the grace of god have basically died out

the only problem is that the name makes it look like a general string routine

Dijkstracula
Mar 18, 2003

You can't spell 'vector field' without me, Professor!

fixed-width records does sort of justify the null padding for short copies

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

strncpy was for working with directory tables, or something? it’s a menace

rjmccall
Sep 7, 2007

no worries friend
Fun Shoe
yep, you have to fully overwrite whatever used to be be in the field. and of course text fields in a fixed-width record are terminated by the end of the field; you only pad with nul bytes if the text doesn't fill the field. it's a completely sensible operation for something that used to be one of the predominant ways to store information and is now totally and unquestionably obsolete

Sweeper
Nov 29, 2007
The Joe Buck of Posting
Dinosaur Gum
we use it in protocols which have fixed width string fields still, needs suiting

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Sweeper posted:

we use it in protocols which have fixed width string fields still, needs suiting

you’re why we can’t remove it

leper khan
Dec 28, 2010
Honest to god thinks Half Life 2 is a bad game. But at least he likes Monster Hunter.

Subjunctive posted:

you’re why we can’t remove it

no need to remove it, just only use it for fixed width strings as intended.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

minidracula
Dec 22, 2007

boo woo boo

nrook posted:

Please do let me know how this... goes.

:rimshot:

No, seriously, I am curious how this works out for you/your team at work in practice. It's something I've heard not infrequently, and I've thought along similar lines the last several years (not just WRT moving from Python, but inclusive of that as well) for various reasons (which I can get into somewhat if anyone cares), but I'm always interested in more trip reports.