Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

coaxmetal
Oct 21, 2010

I flamed me own dad

Anal Tributary posted:

idk i'm trying to pick and choose my time

i've had school taking up time. i have to get some sort of job this summer; it's gonna be some retail thing, i've got actual projects i want to do (things in javascript, because that's what i know). so that leaves like not a lot of pure learning time

i'd like to learn c, or maybe lisp, but i don't have anything i'm working on that would really benefit from another language, or any projects i want to start that could use another language.

and plus there's so much more poo poo i have to learn besides just languages. i want to learn redis (not that there's much to learn), mongodb, oh, also how to better-use actual SQL dbs, some basic devops stuff (migrations, deploys, etc). i'd like to learn how to do concurrent programming, wanna play around with functional languages, etc., etc.

oh and i also really need to learn mobile web development. maybe even like iphone app development.

so i have to pick and choose. right now i'm doing emberjs stuff because it's an undeveloped ecosystem where i have a chance to really contribute, i'm pretty good at javascript, and a project i'm working on needed a js mvc framework and i found emberjs easier to get started with than backbonejs.

cool i really like how not only did i mention that libraries exist to mitigate callback hell/spaghetti code, i also namedropped a specific one, and yet you still used this as a point :)

learn c. Seriously. Then make something with it. You probably won't use it ever again, but it will be good for you. Builds character.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tokin Ring
Jun 12, 2011

:dong:Teh boners:dong:
i didn't eat dinner once and drank much with 2 4lokos just to see what the hype was and got crunk as all hell and emailed an ex-girlfriend and then woke up with embarrassing emails

usually i just have embarrassing posts

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

:darksouls:

Ronald Raiden posted:

learn c. Seriously. Then make something with it. You probably won't use it ever again, but it will be good for you. Builds character.

i'll probably learn obj-c for an iphone app at some point

z0ratio fartboner posted:

i didn't eat dinner and drank along with 2 4lokos just to see what the hype was and got crunk as all hell and emailed an ex-girlfriend and then woke up with embarrassing emails

usually i just have embarrassing posts

i thought 4lokos were either decaffinated or dealcoholinated in most/all states now? or in some way neutered

Juul-Whip
Mar 10, 2008

objective c is the worst loving poo poo

Dr. Honked
Jan 9, 2011

eat it you slaaaaaaag

graph posted:

dr honked youre p cool and tbqh i wouldnt mind spending an afternoon with you if i was in the area

Hit me up on pm's if you're ever in god's own country (prince Edward Island canada)

Tokin Ring
Jun 12, 2011

:dong:Teh boners:dong:

Anal Tributary posted:

i thought 4lokos were either decaffinated or dealcoholinated in most/all states now? or in some way neutered

yeah this was before the purge

TOO SCSI FOR MY CAT
Oct 12, 2008

this is what happens when you take UI design away from engineers and give it to a bunch of hipster art student "designers"

Anal Tributary posted:

how is "spaghetti code" in js a bigger issue than it is in any other language
javascript was a language originally written for people too stupid to handle java, and it was never designed or suited for any problem larger than making glittery mouse trails on geocities guestbooks

the "rise" of poo poo like node.js is actually just a bunch of incompetent wanna-bes who flunked out of cs103 because pointers were "like, too hard, man", standing in a circle jerking off onto a portrait of DHH

Soldier of Fortran
May 2, 2009

THC posted:

objective c is nifty and apple's libraries and such are generally pretty drat nice

sorry that brackets are too confusing for you i guess

blorpy
Jan 5, 2005

gas all threads

ban all posters

launch the servers into the sun

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

Janin posted:

javascript was a language originally written for people too stupid to handle java, and it was never designed or suited for any problem larger than making glittery mouse trails on geocities guestbooks

the "rise" of poo poo like node.js is actually just a bunch of incompetent wanna-bes who flunked out of cs103 because pointers were "like, too hard, man", standing in a circle jerking off onto a portrait of DHH

idgi it's used for a lot of neat poo poo

i don't get why you're so angry about javascript. it's not like it's php; it's a language with some quirks but is at least relatively consistent*

*(except typeof null === "object")

blorpy
Jan 5, 2005

Anal Tributary posted:

idk i'm trying to pick and choose my time

i've had school taking up time. i have to get some sort of job this summer; it's gonna be some retail thing, i've got actual projects i want to do (things in javascript, because that's what i know). so that leaves like not a lot of pure learning time

i'd like to learn c, or maybe lisp, but i don't have anything i'm working on that would really benefit from another language, or any projects i want to start that could use another language.

and plus there's so much more poo poo i have to learn besides just languages. i want to learn redis (not that there's much to learn), mongodb, oh, also how to better-use actual SQL dbs, some basic devops stuff (migrations, deploys, etc). i'd like to learn how to do concurrent programming, wanna play around with functional languages, etc., etc.

oh and i also really need to learn mobile web development. maybe even like iphone app development.

so i have to pick and choose. right now i'm doing emberjs stuff because it's an undeveloped ecosystem where i have a chance to really contribute, i'm pretty good at javascript, and a project i'm working on needed a js mvc framework and i found emberjs easier to get started with than backbonejs.

cool i really like how not only did i mention that libraries exist to mitigate callback hell/spaghetti code, i also namedropped a specific one, and yet you still used this as a point :)
cool none of that matters because you live in bfe without any ambitions for leaving

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

Markov Chain Chomp posted:

cool none of that matters because you live in bfe without any ambitions for leaving

are you loving kidding "without any ambitions for leaving"

did you miss my solid week of attempting to plan a pilgrimage to the bay area

blorpy
Jan 5, 2005

open letter to all so-called southerners

please either get your poo poo together or just kill yourselves. stop being a drain on the country and embarrassing us in front of all the other countries

blorpy
Jan 5, 2005

Anal Tributary posted:

are you loving kidding "without any ambitions for leaving"

did you miss my solid week of attempting to plan a pilgrimage to the bay area
probably. i dont always read yospos

i see "retail [in bfe] this summer" so i guess we see how that went

lol if you
Jun 29, 2004

I am going to remove your penis, in thin slices, like salami, just for starters.

Deuterieux posted:

oh no pythons don't let them squeeze you

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

probably. i dont always read yospos

i see "retail [in bfe] this summer" so i guess we see how that went

yeah turns out you can't move to the bay area with $50 cash + $200 in your bank account

who knew

blorpy
Jan 5, 2005

Anal Tributary posted:

yeah turns out you can't move to the bay area with $50 cash + $200 in your bank account

who knew
turns out you can if you get a big boy internship

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

turns out you can if you get a big boy internship

freshman going into sophomore year, no formal CS background, going to a poo poo college, no prior references for code besides my github page; it is not good material for that theoretical internship application

maybe next year :smithicide:

Inverse Icarus
Dec 4, 2003

I run SyncRPG, and produce original, digital content for the Pathfinder RPG, designed from the ground up to be played online.

Anal Tributary posted:

freshman going into sophomore year, no formal CS background, going to a poo poo college, no prior references for code besides my github page; it is not good material for that theoretical internship application

maybe next year :smithicide:

rotor demanded your resume and you just pissed in your mouth or something

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts

Anal Tributary posted:

who knew

crank that linkin park

vapid cutlery
Apr 17, 2007

php:
<?
"it's george costanza" ?>

THC posted:

why

Inverse Icarus
Dec 4, 2003

I run SyncRPG, and produce original, digital content for the Pathfinder RPG, designed from the ground up to be played online.
fun fact: some internships have relocation money, and rotor is in the bay area

coaxmetal
Oct 21, 2010

I flamed me own dad

Inverse Icarus posted:

fun fact: some internships have relocation money, and half of yospos is in the bay area

vapid cutlery
Apr 17, 2007

php:
<?
come work for me at my startup in canada

blorpy
Jan 5, 2005

Anal Tributary posted:

freshman going into sophomore year
i know freshmen who've got them

quote:

no formal CS background
doesnt matter

quote:

going to a poo poo college,
you picked it

quote:

no prior references for code besides my github page
nobody loving uses references and if you actually bothered to put something decent in your github that would do wonders for you

quote:

it is not good material for that theoretical internship application
no, being a baby isnt good material for that. sounds like you need to nut up

vapid cutlery
Apr 17, 2007

php:
<?
bring money

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

Inverse Icarus posted:

fun fact: some internships have relocation money, and rotor is in the bay area

i know they have that relocation money, only way i could ever make it out there

i've said it before but i honestly had no idea rotor was being serious about that resume thing; for w/e reason i assumed it was trolling and never thought to follow up

vapid cutlery
Apr 17, 2007

php:
<?
what's a good place to get a company logo done (besides SA-mart, i don't agree with their policy that you have to buy a logo that's posted in the thread)

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

you picked it
nope, parents + lack of money did. also poor high school gpa, that's obviously on me.

quote:

nobody loving uses references and if you actually bothered to put something decent in your github that would do wonders for you
what defines something decent in a github, anyways? i've been asked for portfolios and never know what to say because none of the dev stuff i've done ever ends up launching, but i have some github repos with decent code in them.

hey remember when this thread was about programming languages

Inverse Icarus
Dec 4, 2003

Anal Tributary posted:

nope, parents + lack of money did. also poor high school gpa, that's obviously on me.

your part is a much bigger part of this than everything else was.

blorpy
Jan 5, 2005

the demand for halfway decent devs is so strong out here now that fresh grads are regularly making 100k+ and recruiters are basically going nuts trying to place any talent

what excuse can you possibly come up with

coaxmetal
Oct 21, 2010

I flamed me own dad

the demand for halfway decent devs is so strong out here now that fresh grads are regularly making 100k+ and recruiters are basically going nuts trying to place any talent

what excuse can you possibly come up with

my excuse for not moving there yet is I am graduating this year and since I have a fulltime dev job for the university I can stay here and get a masters for $0.00 (actually I have to pay fees but no tuition).

I'm not sure if im actually going to stick around here long enough for that or not though.

coaxmetal
Oct 21, 2010

I flamed me own dad
my excuse is better than anal volcano's :smaug:

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

Ronald Raiden posted:

yeah that owns

blorpy
Jan 5, 2005

Ronald Raiden posted:

my excuse for not moving there yet is I am graduating this year and since I have a fulltime dev job for the university I can stay here and get a masters for $0.00 (actually I have to pay fees but no tuition).

I'm not sure if im actually going to stick around here long enough for that or not though.
the opportunity cost of that is much more than $0

multigl
Nov 22, 2005

"Who's cool and has two thumbs? This guy!"

Ronald Raiden posted:

:hfive:

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts
anal tributary look at what inverse ickarus has to deal with nancy badcoder

you realize nancy badcoder got a job with a big successful company and writes horribad code all day for months

inverse ickarus is now on the chopping block

rly makes u think

Police Academy III
Nov 4, 2011

Anal Tributary posted:

what defines something decent in a github, anyways? i've been asked for portfolios and never know what to say because none of the dev stuff i've done ever ends up launching, but i have some github repos with decent code in them.

ya i'd also like to know this, since i don't really see anybody wanting to pull from "lisp interpreter that takes as long to garbage collect as it does to actually run anything" or "dumb ruby roguelike with terrible web interface"

Inverse Icarus
Dec 4, 2003

graph posted:

anal tributary look at what inverse ickarus has to deal with nancy badcoder

you realize nancy badcoder got a job with a big successful company and writes horribad code all day for months

inverse ickarus is now on the chopping block

rly makes u think

my fatal flaw was actually caring about anything

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Honked
Jan 9, 2011

eat it you slaaaaaaag

Anal Tributary posted:

hey remember when this thread was about programming languages

Code doesn't need to launch, it just needs to be good. If you are embarrassed by your code then it's not good enough. Your portfolio needs to contain code that you are proud of. That you can talk enthusiastically about. Thanks playbook for fucing with my sentence structure cheers