Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

double sulk
Jul 2, 2010

i need an internship/entry level gig. willing to work anywhere that isn't landlocked or a dull city. can basically start immediately. someone help please :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Baxate
Feb 1, 2011

Computer Science is terrible, get a real degree.

Police Academy III
Nov 4, 2011

baxate posted:

Computer Science is terrible, get a real degree.

it's 2012 buddy, there are no real degrees

blorpy
Jan 5, 2005

Sulk posted:

i need an internship/entry level gig. willing to work anywhere that isn't landlocked or a dull city. can basically start immediately. someone help please :(
yo learn programming first and then well talk

Dr. Honked
Jan 9, 2011

eat it you slaaaaaaag
To expand onthis - again thanks play poker - playbook -??what. If you have submitted code as part of a job application then you will need to talk about it
. Make sure you can. Do not submit code that was written by anyone else. You will need to tell the interviewer which part you enjoyed coding and which you didn't. Where were the problems and how did you overcome them. The interviewer will be looking for the moment when you light up and become enthusiastic because you overcame a hard problem with an elegant solution, and you enjoy talking about it. Be proud of your code and make sure the interviewer knows why you are proud of your work.

This is not hard for a good coder. This is just normal. If you can't do this then just go and make Web pages. Cheers

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

:darksouls:

Dr. Honked posted:

Code doesn't need to launch, it just needs to be good. If you are embarrassed by your code then it's not good enough. Your portfolio needs to contain code that you are proud of. That you can talk enthusiastically about. Thanks playbook for fucing with my sentence structure cheers

i need more code, i guess. actually went thru my github and deleted some repos with lovely old code in them, tried to pare down to good stuff or stuff that at least shows a range vOv

TOO SCSI FOR MY CAT
Oct 12, 2008

this is what happens when you take UI design away from engineers and give it to a bunch of hipster art student "designers"

Anal Tributary posted:

what defines something decent in a github, anyways? i've been asked for portfolios and never know what to say because none of the dev stuff i've done ever ends up launching, but i have some github repos with decent code in them.
Since you're a sophomore, nobody expects you to have done anything useful anyway. Come up with a few small projects suiting whatever area of software development you want to go into.

Examples that would probably go over well:

• A two-player browser game. It doesn't have to be complex; checkers works fine, or blackjack, or old maid. Just something to show that you understand how the javascript<->frontend communication works.
  • A graphical desktop application of some sort. Windows, OSX, Linux, doesn't matter. Hit up the tiny custom app thread, find something that sounds hard but possible, and implement it.
  • A mobile application. Android or iOS is fine. Same idea as the desktop app, but with a more constrained platform.

You can stack these up as much as you want. Add some variety and elaboration. Again, nobody's expecting much out of an intern. The goal is to demonstrate basic competency at and familiarity with programming.

Also, study up on algorithms. I know this is like the most generic common advise ever, but that's because it's true. Some ridiculous percentage of pre-screened applicants are unable to create even a basic insertion sort, or use a prefix tree to implement a spell checker. You go in there and be the only guy in the room who can explain the tradeoffs between a map and a hash table, and you'll be a shoe-in.

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

Janin posted:

Also, study up on algorithms. I know this is like the most generic common advise ever, but that's because it's true. Some ridiculous percentage of pre-screened applicants are unable to create even a basic insertion sort, or use a prefix tree to implement a spell checker. You go in there and be the only guy in the room who can explain the tradeoffs between a map and a hash table, and you'll be a shoe-in.

yeah i don't know any of these things

this is why i wasn't applying to internships this summer. guess my focus should be self-teaching that kinda stuff.

double sulk
Jul 2, 2010

is there a book on algorithms/data structures which is actually comprehensible without needing to know a shitload of math

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts

Sulk posted:

is there a book on algorithms/data structures which is actually comprehensible without needing to know a shitload of math

lol

Baxate
Feb 1, 2011

Honestly, you probably have a good shot at getting a job with the University IT department. They like to hire students.

I just did an interview for a PHP/MySQL job at my university today. I put some of my github projects on my resume, and some of the patches I've submitted to open source projects which they really liked.

That's another thing you can do. Just find an open source project you like and browse through their bug tracker and find something that looks easy to fix, and fix it.

TOO SCSI FOR MY CAT
Oct 12, 2008

this is what happens when you take UI design away from engineers and give it to a bunch of hipster art student "designers"

Sulk posted:

this isn't quite what you asked about, but have you tried a song of ice and fire by george rr martin?

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

baxate posted:

That's another thing you can do. Just find an open source project you like and browse through their bug tracker and find something that looks easy to fix, and fix it.

yeah, i'm going to probably be contributing some to emberjs fairly soon. i'm basically just trying to keep productive - keeping a public (shame)log of all of my coding for motivation to not, like, skip any more than weekend

Dr. Honked
Jan 9, 2011

eat it you slaaaaaaag

Sulk posted:

Learn math

Dot product. Cross product. Quaternions. What is the identity matrix and what does it do.

How to make a transform matrix

Learn or ducking kill your ducking self

LOL playnook
HAHA IT AUTOCORRECT IN LAYNOOK FUCM
WTF

Dr. Honked
Jan 9, 2011

eat it you slaaaaaaag
I'm dying h re this thing is off da railz

blorpy
Jan 5, 2005

Sulk posted:

intro to algorithms by clrs has basically no math prereq

My Linux Rig
Mar 27, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 6 years!

newreply.php posted:

do java/c# if you want easy + money

do objc if you want hard + lots of money

do android devvin' if you want naggy users/pirates + no money

close thread

objc is probably one of the easier languages out there, mostly cause of the tools backing it up

i'm not sure how you can consider ios app development hard

Dr. Honked
Jan 9, 2011

eat it you slaaaaaaag
What McCain said if you don't want to get into games or you want to get into algorithms without math

Correction markov Cain chomp
gently caress this I'm out

Autocorrect put gently caress in all caps instead of duck, maybe we are getting somewhere

TOO SCSI FOR MY CAT
Oct 12, 2008

Dr. Honked posted:

What McCain said if you don't want to get into games or you want to get into algorithms without math

Correction markov Cain chomp
gently caress this I'm out

Autocorrect put gently caress in all caps instead of duck, maybe we are getting somewhere
blackberry playbook is the funniest thing rim have or will ever produce

Inverse Icarus
Dec 4, 2003

I run SyncRPG, and produce original, digital content for the Pathfinder RPG, designed from the ground up to be played online.

Janin posted:

Since you're a sophomore, nobody expects you to have done anything useful anyway. Come up with a few small projects suiting whatever area of software development you want to go into.

dude, anal,

i just did internship interviews at two schools, and collected resumes

the majority of undergrad candidates have loving nothing on their resume. some have maybe one team project listed, or just a splattering of course names no one really cares about, but most are like "i took two coding classes i guess?"

we are literally giving an offer to one of them who admitted to "only starting programming 5 months ago, and only IOS apps" (not my project, but someone else in a related group)

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

classic case of pineapple derangement syndrome
I like javascript and c#, regular java is ok. python is great and everything I guess but my one true love will always be C.

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

classic case of pineapple derangement syndrome

rotor posted:

I like javascript and c#, regular java is ok. python is great and everything I guess but my one true love will always be C.

basically its like they made the best all-around language and everything since that is just minmaxing for whatever problem you have right now

multigl
Nov 22, 2005

"Who's cool and has two thumbs? This guy!"
c is splendiferous

vapid cutlery
Apr 17, 2007

php:
<?
"it's george costanza" ?>
lua

Juul-Whip
Mar 10, 2008

ahhh spiders posted:

why
learning it after years of java and I hate it. its yucky. I thought it would be just like C but its not its got a bunch of weird poo poo

Juul-Whip fucked around with this message at 06:26 on Apr 26, 2012

vapid cutlery
Apr 17, 2007

php:
<?

THC posted:

learning it after years of java and I hate it. its yucky

i did the exact same thing basically and it's not that hard. are you using the stanford itunes u course

multigl
Nov 22, 2005

"Who's cool and has two thumbs? This guy!"

THC posted:

learning it after years of java and I hate it. its yucky. I thought it would be more like C but its not its got a bunch of weird poo poo

just use the underlying C functions then if it bothers you that much. ObjC is like a tiny little layer on top of C.

Juul-Whip
Mar 10, 2008

ahhh spiders posted:

are you using the stanford itunes u course

no... should I

vapid cutlery
Apr 17, 2007

php:
<?

THC posted:

no... should I

yeah, it's really good. i think it's CS193p

vapid cutlery
Apr 17, 2007

php:
<?

multigl posted:

just use the underlying C functions then if it bothers you that much. ObjC is like a tiny little layer on top of C.

that's dumb

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
Perl.

that's all i know.

well i can write arduino programs too but so can a late period in Mississippi

vapid cutlery
Apr 17, 2007

php:
<?
arduino uses straight c

vapid cutlery
Apr 17, 2007

php:
<?
i've actually compiled and run templated c++ code on arduino lol

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
as soon as i get newjob im gonna write a script to telnet into every walmart store in the country and run this particular script that updates our switch/port listings

how high you guys reckon i can take fork()

vapid cutlery
Apr 17, 2007

php:
<?

Jonny 290 posted:

as soon as i get newjob im gonna write a script to telnet into every walmart store in the country and run this particular script that updates our switch/port listings

system-dependent

TOO SCSI FOR MY CAT
Oct 12, 2008

Jonny 290 posted:

don't do this, you will get sued + job offer rescinded + never get hired again

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
obv lol

i think this week's store count is 9034

i dont think that would go well on this:

code:
HP-UX hostname B.11.00 A 9000/800 2005060063 two-user license

vapid cutlery
Apr 17, 2007

php:
<?
how many briberies is that equal to

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
idk but its hilarious how they're throwing walmex under the bus with OH MAN WE DIDNT KNOW ABOUT ANY OF THIS

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

volkadav
Jan 1, 2008

Guillotine / Gulag 2020
~ effort poste ~

I love all the people that claim that js is suitable for large scale application development because there are libraries to do X, Y or Z. Never mind that most of them still suck for whatever reason (e.g. lacking or lovely documentation) so good luck picking the least bad out of the herd of contenders and are all generally developed by ADHD hipsters who will drop maintenance at the drop of a PBR: all of them can only do so much to hide the underlying language from you which is filled to the brim with weird behavior (if you think otherwise, you haven't used js very long... a small appetizer of crazy here: https://www.destroyallsoftware.com/talks/wat). When somebody has to write a book specifically calling out which parts of your language are good, and it becomes a best-seller, that might be a hint that there's a big steaming pile of badness in your language too. It's not like somebody has had to write "C: The Good Parts."

The ultimate irony here is that none of the people jumping up and down about how awesome server-side js is have even an ounce of historical knowledge about their favorite best-ever-zomg-so-awesome-unicorns-and-puppies!!!! language. Javascript on the server-side was tried in the 1990s and was an utter failure (trivia quiz: without using Google, what servers even supported this?). It sucked for writing big apps then, it sucks for writing big apps now, and I'm seriously afraid that a generation of people will grow up thinking that JS is a good idea and waste both their lives and the time of the wiser heads that have to maintain their poo poo later on. I'm glad that you like writing performant server-side code, good on you, but realize that node is only (sort of, in some situations) fast because it embodies a particular design pattern, not because it happens to be javascript. You can write fast evented code in other languages that aren't formless blobs of over-hyped poo (and also note that event handling isn't the only way to skin a cat here).

JS is only tolerable in one place, and that's in the browser to drive event handlers and such for interactive things. That's only true because there aren't any other options (except vbs, lol).

I mean don't get me wrong, I sympathize with liking a language that's totally unsuitable for programming in the large. I liked perl for a long time. :v: But hell is other people's perl code. Say what you will about Java, it puts a hard upper limit on how completely insane you can be (sure there's a FactoryFactoryFactory but that code is still easier to read than somebody who thought it would be cool to write the monthly payroll cron job as one ten thousand character regexp or whatever the gently caress cat-on-keyboard spew you can find in the worst perl codebases). Like so many things, building solid systems requires picking the right tools for the job to hand, and JS is usually not the right tool. Much as you can use a screwdriver as a prybar though, people keep trying to do the wrong thing because they're too ignorant or lazy to reach for the right tools and just like in carpentry will end up hurting themselves or others.

I... guess I'm just :mad: about javascript. Sorry guys, as you were. I hear the bay area is neat? :frogbon: