Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
The Merkinman
Apr 22, 2007

I sell only quality merkins. What is a merkin you ask? Why, it's a wig for your genitals!
As I mentioned in the 11.10 thread, I tried to upgrade but it didn't work. I noticed something was wrong when the new kernel wasn't available.

Booting from the CD only gets me a blinking cursor (even if I check).

When I do try to boot the older kernel I get
code:
* Starting blutooh       [OK]
* Pulseaudio configured for per-user sessions (too blurry in pic) disabled: edit /etc/default/saned     [OK]
* Starting anac(h)ronistic cron      [OK]
* Stopping System V runlevel compatibility
and just a blinking cursor...

so I tried CTRL ALT F5 and go thte terminal so i did sudo apt-get update and sudo apt-get upgrade. That gave me the following:

code:
565 upgrade, 4 newly installed, 1 to remove and 105 not upgraded.
908 not fully installed or removed.
Need to get 0 B/364 MB of archives.
After this operation 155MB disk space will be freed.
Do you want to continue [Y/n] Y

Extracting templates from packages: 100%
Preconfiguring packages ...
dpkg: error: parsing file '/var/lib/dpkg/status/ near line 15089 package 'lexmark-inkjet-08-driver:i386':
  blank line in value of field 'description'
E: Sub-process /usr/bin/dpkg returned and error code (2)

merk@the-tron:~$
That's from a printer driver that I tried to install but didn't work (32bit driver on 64bit OS) so I don't care if it's completely deleted. I just want the 11.04 installation to finish!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Merkinman
Apr 22, 2007

I sell only quality merkins. What is a merkin you ask? Why, it's a wig for your genitals!

angrytech posted:

Merkinman, have you posted that on AskUbuntu? That sounds like the kind of thing that they would have a solution for.
No, but browsing there I see this. So I'll try that when I get home.

The Merkinman
Apr 22, 2007

The Merkinman posted:

No, but browsing there I see this. So I'll try that when I get home.
i tried the initial suggestion of cp status-old, but that didn't work. Reading all the way down I see he had the EXACT error, buy I don't understand what he did to fix it.

The Merkinman
Apr 22, 2007

Burnt previous versions to try and recover, but they wouldn't boot due to my video card (GTX 550 Ti). Removed video card installed Ubuntu from scratch and now I only get video if my card is unplugged and I use onboard video. So far this has been my worst experience in 5 YEARS with Ubuntu.

EDIT: BUG IN THE ENTIRE KERNEL?
So does this mean my video card is worthless until 12.10 comes out???

The Merkinman fucked around with this message at 20:19 on Apr 28, 2012

The Merkinman
Apr 22, 2007

Longinus00 posted:

Use the nomodeset kernel option to boot in and install the proprietary nvidia driver.
This fixed it, still quite a large bug for an LTS (yes I realize it's in the kernel)

The Merkinman
Apr 22, 2007

ShadowHawk posted:

We strongly considered it but changed our minds at the last minute when it was discovered a full 25% of our hardware survey respondents had machines not even capable of 64-bit.

Which would mean 75%, or 3/4 majority could run 64-bit :confused:
How low would the percentage of 32bit need to be??

The Merkinman
Apr 22, 2007

ShadowHawk posted:

It's not a majority rules situation here because the negative consequences of running 32-on-64 are far less dramatic than attempting to run 64-on-32. In the former case you get a slightly slower system for someone who wasn't sophisticated enough to know they even had a 64-bit processor. In the latter case you get a coaster that won't boot at all.

Makes sense, so 64-bit will never be the recommended version.

The Merkinman
Apr 22, 2007

EA will be at the Ubuntu Developer Summit.

A lot of the comments I've read have been hilariously :reject:

The Merkinman
Apr 22, 2007

No one here has been to YOSPOS?

The Merkinman
Apr 22, 2007

Welp another upgrade (this time 12.10), another hosed system. What the gently caress Canonical??
This time I'm thrown into grub recovery. Tried ls and "prefix=(hd0, msdos1)/boot/grub" for all the other entries of ls, then insmod normal. Didn't work with any of them. Can't even use my 12.04 CD because of a critical bug there where it won't even boot with my graphics card.

The Merkinman
Apr 22, 2007

It seems Ubuntu wants me to stay on 12.04! I installed 12.10 from a USB drive, noticed icons were glitchy. Saw that the open source Noveau drivers were being used. Switched to nVidia ones (while installing said drivers Compiz crashes). Reboot, and now Compiz (and as such all of Unity) never start! So I'm stuck with a handful of desktop icons.

Really? Is the LTS the only version that is checked for bugs or something?

EDIT: and Virtualbox won't run and my external drives no longer mount (though a 3.5" floppy THAT DOESN'T EXIST mounts)?

The Merkinman fucked around with this message at 01:41 on Oct 24, 2012

The Merkinman
Apr 22, 2007

Xenomorph posted:

Not 10.04? It's the last Gnome2 LTS release.
The desktop version of 10.04 has 3 years of support, so that's only 6 months left as of this post. 12.04 has 5 years desktop support so that will be April 2017

Aquila posted:

I'll be running 10.04 on my desktop at work til my hosting provider upgrades their servers from 10.04 server... so forever I think.
It's true 10.04 Server has 5 years support, but I'm going to guess most of the questions here will be desktop oriented

Plus, you guys should have brought this up when the 10.04 thread was killed in favor of 10.10 :v:

The Merkinman
Apr 22, 2007

Will Nouveau be updated over the course of 12.10, or will I have to wait for 13.04? It's pretty glitchy with titles and icons and I tried playing Black Mesa source and saw purple/black grids on (transparent?) surfaces and a big white diagonal line across the enter screen.

The Merkinman
Apr 22, 2007

So I tried to install Skype from the software center, took a while but eventually stopped unsuccesfully. Now every time I try to sudo apt-get update I get the following:

quote:

W: Failed to fetch http://archive.canonical.com/commercial-ppa-uploaders/skype/ubuntu/dists/quantal/main/binary-amd64/Packages 404 Not Found

W: Failed to fetch http://archive.canonical.com/commercial-ppa-uploaders/skype/ubuntu/dists/quantal/main/binary-i386/Packages 404 Not Found

E: Some index files failed to download. They have been ignored, or old ones used instead.
However, if I look in /etc/apt/sources.list I see no mention of that ppa!

The Merkinman
Apr 22, 2007

So I was running the proprietary drivers on my 550 Ti. Some updates came in, told me to restart, now I'm back to where the proprietary drivers won't load Unity and the Nouveau drivers are so gimped I might as well not even have a graphics card installed.

Should I just erase 12.10 and go back to 12.04?

EDIT: Might be this. Priority 'wishlist', nice. I mean who wants to actually use their hardware?

The Merkinman fucked around with this message at 05:07 on Nov 7, 2012

The Merkinman
Apr 22, 2007

Phoenixan posted:

I've actually stuck with 12.04 myself because I own a 550 Ti, and I was worried about the installation process if I were to update, since things like -nomodeset were needed to get 12.04 to install in the first place. :(
I believe that bug has been fixed,it was related to the Linux kernal version. I posted about it in this very thread when I had the issue 6 months ago. Aside from that serious workaround to install the generic kernal, the closed source drivers have been fine on 12.10.

The Merkinman
Apr 22, 2007

Amethyst posted:

I just installed 12.10 after years away from desktop linux.

It's woking okay, the problem is that my pc encounters various errors upon waking up from suspend. I'm using an nvidia card and several sources online say that drivers may have something to do with the problem.

I went ahead and installed the "current" nvidia driver package from software center but this didn't seem to solve the problem. When I look at the grapics details under system settings, it says my video card is "unknown".

How do I begin to troubleshoot this? I'm not sure exactly which drive is active, what I would like to do is switch to a generic graphics driver without hardware acceleration so I can determine if this is actually the cause.

EDIT: Sorry, is this thread only for 12.04? I may switch to LTS anyway.

You might have the same bug I have with installing proprietary nVidia drivers. Read my last few posts and ShadowHawk's responses.

The Merkinman
Apr 22, 2007

Zedicus Mann posted:

I'm trying to install Ubuntu 12.10 64-bit as a dual boot with Windows 8, however each time I try the install gets stuck at the "Where Are You?" screen. If I attempt to hit continue on that, the next screen never shows and the progress bar disappears after a certain time.

I have a 300GB Windows 8 partition, a 100MB System Reserved partition, and am creating a 250GB partition for Ubuntu and 2GB for swap.

Why is it getting stuck? I just let it run for 40 minutes with no change.

I am a bit new to Ubuntu, but I have experimented with it and had it running fine in the past.

a cusory Google search suggests checking the md5 sum (to make sure the download / burn didn't corrupt the files) also disconnecting from the network while installing

The Merkinman
Apr 22, 2007

Wow, upgraded to 13.04 and for once it actually went along without a hitch*

*well Skype is broken but I found out to fix that quickly enough

The Merkinman
Apr 22, 2007

Sigh spoke too soon. Turn on my computer today and it won't boot. Gives me a bunch of terminal poo poo which I have no idea what to do with since I'm not some neckbeard. Yay linux once again like every six months you show how much of a piece of poo poo you are!

Ran recovery modes and then it's fine now?

The Merkinman fucked around with this message at 18:49 on Apr 28, 2013

The Merkinman
Apr 22, 2007

The Merkinman posted:

Sigh spoke too soon. Turn on my computer today and it won't boot. Gives me a bunch of terminal poo poo which I have no idea what to do with since I'm not some neckbeard. Yay linux once again like every six months you show how much of a piece of poo poo you are!

Ran recovery modes and then it's fine now?

spoke too soon, seems to sometimes happen on a cold boot. I think it may be this bug, how do I get an actual crash log so as to help with said bug?

The Merkinman
Apr 22, 2007

Another release another issue.
Update Manager says 13.10 is available. I click upgrade... read the notes, it fetches 2 files, and then disappears. Nothing happens after that.
Maybe if I were on a phone things would work :allears:

code:
themerkinman@pos:~$ update-manager -d
Checking for a new Ubuntu release
authenticate 'saucy.tar.gz' against 'saucy.tar.gz.gpg' 
extracting 'saucy.tar.gz'
Real-time signal 0
themerkinman@pos:~$
EDIT: did do-release-upgrade and that worked. Never actually restarted, had to hit the button on my computer. So far so good.
EDIT2: WINE is broken Shadowhawk :argh:

The Merkinman fucked around with this message at 05:03 on Oct 19, 2013

The Merkinman
Apr 22, 2007

I am not a book posted:

I know you're being facetious, but if you were on a phone and using image-based updates, it would just work.
I was referring to how 13.10 has nothing new in it (aside from a feature that was supposed to launch in 13.04), because Canonical was too busy with their phone OS.
Anyway, this is the error. Sometimes i get it two in a row, program seems to sometimes launch fine after though.

The Merkinman
Apr 22, 2007

ShadowHawk posted:

You're not the first to report this. Can you answer some questions for me? I'm trying to track down crashes in the wine packages for 13.10. Are you on 64-bit? wine1.6 or wine1.7?

Did you upgrade from 13.04 or fresh install? Did you re-add the Ubuntu-wine ppa?
64-bit
upgrade from 13.04, had to use terminal command do-release-upgrade for some reason though
Re-added http://ppa.launchpad.net/ubuntu-wine/ppa/ubuntu it even had updates right away.

The Merkinman
Apr 22, 2007

ShadowHawk posted:

dpkg -s wine1.6 please

code:
Package: wine1.6
Priority: optional
Section: otherosfs
Installed-Size: 3031
Maintainer: Scott Ritchie <scottritchie@ubuntu.com>
Architecture: amd64
Multi-Arch: allowed
Version: 1:1.6-0ubuntu1~ppa4
Replaces: wine, wine1.0, wine1.2, wine1.3, wine1.4, wine1.5
Provides: wine
Depends: debconf (>= 0.5) | debconf-2.0, libc6 (>= 2.17), libgettextpo0, wine1.6-amd64 (= 1:1.6-0ubuntu1~ppa4), binfmt-support (>= 1.1.2), procps, wine1.6-i386 (= 1:1.6-0ubuntu1~ppa4)
Pre-Depends: dpkg (>= 1.15.7.2~)
Recommends: cups-bsd, gnome-exe-thumbnailer | kde-runtime, fonts-droid, fonts-liberation, ttf-mscorefonts-installer, fonts-horai-umefont, fonts-unfonts-core, ttf-wqy-microhei, winbind, winetricks, xdg-utils
Suggests: dosbox:any
Conflicts: wine1.0, wine1.2, wine1.3, wine1.4
Conffiles:
 /etc/xdg/menus/applications-merged/wine.menu d15dadc3527b2c6dca96023a5351aedc
Description: Microsoft Windows Compatibility Layer (Binary Emulator and Library)
 Wine is a compatibility layer for running Windows applications on Linux.
 Applications are run at full speed without the need of cpu emulation. Wine
 does not require Microsoft Windows, however it can use native system dll
 files in place of its own if they are available.
 This package includes a program loader for running unmodified Windows
 executables as well as the Wine project's free version of the Windows API for
 running programs ported from Windows.
Homepage: [url]http://www.winehq.org/[/url]

dpkg-query: package 'release' is not installed and no information is available
Use dpkg --info (= dpkg-deb --info) to examine archive files,
and dpkg --contents (= dpkg-deb --contents) to list their contents.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Merkinman
Apr 22, 2007

ShadowHawk posted:

I fixed this last night btw.
:tipshat:
Now to figure out about my volume indicator. It works (unlike Xubuntu) but the graphic is inaccurate. Showing lower volume, even muted when it's not.

• Locked thread