Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Grumpwagon
May 6, 2007
I am a giant assfuck who needs to harden the fuck up.

So I used the alternate installer, which gave me a very bare bones install of Ubuntu (I laughed when it installed 1088 packages, totaling 1.5GB when I installed the gnome package). This is a good thing, mostly, but it does leave me without some things I'm used to. One big one is, I don't see the Additional Drivers applet. Was that renamed, or is it just in a package I haven't installed? Am I going to regret not doing a normal install?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grumpwagon
May 6, 2007

Grumpwagon posted:

One big one is, I don't see the Additional Drivers applet. Was that renamed, or is it just in a package I haven't installed? Am I going to regret not doing a normal install?

To quote myself on this, I'm trying to install the nvidia proprietary drivers. I found this article that suggests the following:

Installation without X / from the console

If you need to change drivers without the use of the X GUI, perhaps because those drivers are not installed, you can with the jockey-text command. For example:

jockey-text --help
jockey-text -l
jockey-text -e xorg:nvidia_current

Is this still valid?

EDIT: It looks like Jockey might be the package I'm missing that pops up the additional drivers window. Is that true?

Grumpwagon fucked around with this message at 01:23 on Apr 28, 2012

Grumpwagon
May 6, 2007

Grumpwagon posted:

To quote myself on this, I'm trying to install the nvidia proprietary drivers.

EDIT: It looks like Jockey might be the package I'm missing that pops up the additional drivers window. Is that true?

Double quoting myself to say that yes, jockey-gtk is the additional drivers applet, and it has worked just fine installing the proprietary drivers.

Grumpwagon
May 6, 2007

Grumpwagon posted:

Double quoting myself to say that yes, jockey-gtk is the additional drivers applet, and it has worked just fine installing the proprietary drivers.

I knew I should have rebooted before posting that. I was using gnome 3 just fine, until this.

I am using nvidia accelerated graphics driver (version current) [recommended] on a GeForce 8800 GTS. On both 11.10 and 12.04, starting about 1 month ago (IIRC there was a new kernel and a new graphics driver update at the same time), I cannot boot into gnome3 when I have the proprietary driver on. When I do, everything gets EXTREMELY slow. I can move the mouse (sometimes), but not open any of the menus, or open a terminal with the CTRL+ALT+T hotkey. I have to use CTRL+ALT+F1 to switch to a terminal and reboot.

If I use gnome3 fallback mode with no effects, things work, but obviously that's not ideal.

Turning off the driver and going back to the default one, I can boot into regular gnome 3. Obviously, that's a fine short term situation, but at some point I'd like to play some games on this computer without rebooting into windows. Time to do some searching I guess.

EDIT: Known issue for nVidia 6xxx,7xxx,8xxx series, see this link. Guess I just have to wait it out.

EDIT 2: nvidia Bug ID: 973068. Issue confirmed and will be resolved with the next driver release. This thread seems to be tracking it: http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=178460

Grumpwagon fucked around with this message at 05:48 on Apr 29, 2012

Grumpwagon
May 6, 2007

Triikan posted:

I just did a fresh install of 12.04 Lubuntu, and any time I create a non-NTFS partition I'm unable to create or move files on it, unless I do it through sudo commands. What setting am I missing here?

EDIT: I can also use with "Open as root", but that doesn't seem like the correct solution.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chown

Grumpwagon
May 6, 2007

rugbert posted:

Well I just ran some system updates and now flash is hosed up. In chrome, flash videos and pandora play at like 7x normal speed. In firefox flash videos are all choppy and slow. I have no idea which package messed it up, I had like 160 updates waiting for me.

Anyone else having this issue?

Yes. Flash in Chrome is hosed up right now. I'm not sure if there is a workaround. When I looked a few days ago, they were just telling people to disable it and wait for a patch.

Grumpwagon
May 6, 2007

Thanks for this. I had been checking the Steam Linux blog pretty much every day for this. You'd think they'd post it there, but I guess not.

Grumpwagon fucked around with this message at 18:36 on Oct 27, 2012

Grumpwagon
May 6, 2007

ratbert90 posted:

Or just install gnome-shell and be done with it. Screw the haters, I like stock gnome3. :colbert:

I've said it before in the thread, but I totally agree here. I didn't hate Unity, but Gnome3 has gotten way better since launch. If you haven't tried it since around the time it came out, give it another shot. I haven't had any major bugs in the last several releases, and it works great now.

Grumpwagon
May 6, 2007

fourwood posted:

Is it reasonable to get a current Gnome3 desktop in Ubuntu? Or what's the best Gnome3 setup on a Debian-based system?

It's extremely easy. Install Ubuntu (if you don't have it already). Then sudo apt-get install gnome

That's it.

EDIT: Oh, one last thing. 12.04 has 3.4, whereas 12.10 is upgraded to 3.6. 3.4 seems perfectly usable to me, but if you want the latest and greatest, install 12.10.

Grumpwagon fucked around with this message at 15:09 on Feb 16, 2013

Grumpwagon
May 6, 2007

I also dual boot Windows on my machine for gaming, but I've found myself rebooting into Windows less and less often. I still think it's a good idea to have Windows, but don't shy away from trying to run a game in Linux first (either natively via Steam if you're lucky, or via Wine otherwise) before just automatically rebooting. I've been pleasantly surprised by it.

Grumpwagon
May 6, 2007

Well, it's been a while since anyone has posted here, but I'm hoping I can get some help.

I have ubuntu 12.04 on my desktop and 13.10 on my laptop. I'm using Gnome3. This weekend, they both stopped turning off my monitor after 10 minutes of inactivity.

I followed the guide here in reverse as best as I could, but I wasn't sure exactly what I was doing. Any ideas? I just reinstalled SpiderOak on the desktop, but turning that off didn't help, and the laptop doesn't have it installed. The laptop basically just has Chrome on it, so I think it must be a core program in Ubuntu or Gnome3.

Grumpwagon
May 6, 2007

Houston Rockets posted:

Same thing happened to me recently. I switched from lightdm to gdm and it works now. You might want to try the same.

Thanks, but I'm actually already using gdm on the desktop. I'll give that a shot on the laptop though.

Grumpwagon
May 6, 2007

I am not a book posted:

Have you tried reconfiguring the gdm package?

sudo dpkg-reconfigure gdm just returns me right back to the terminal prompt. I'll try some more googling and fiddling around when I have more time tomorrow. Thanks for the suggestions.

EDIT: It just started working again. I didn't change anything. I'll take it I guess. Thanks again everyone.

Grumpwagon fucked around with this message at 20:16 on Mar 11, 2014

Grumpwagon
May 6, 2007

If I were to put the new LTS beta on my computer now, would that seamlessly upgrade to the real LTS once it came out? Any reason not to do that? For reference, it's not a production machine or anything, just my personal home PC, but it is my primary PC.

If I were to do it, would I want to get one of the betas, or run the nightly?

Lastly, any opinions on Ubuntu GNOME? I use Gnome3 daily, and like it, but the Ubuntu GNOME project seems a bit.. half baked. Does anyone use it?

EDIT: Lastly lastly, when I put 12.04 on this computer, I used the alternate image to install an extremely minimal set of packages (basically, just what it required to boot to a command line), then installed Gnome from there, in an attempt to sort of roll my own Ubuntu Gnome. IIRC, the alternate image isn't a thing anymore. If Ubuntu Gnome isn't ready to go yet, is there some way I can do that again, without the alternate image? Is this a stupid idea and I should just install mainline Ubuntu and then Gnome3 on top of it?

Thanks in advance for answering my dumb questions!

Grumpwagon fucked around with this message at 20:33 on Mar 31, 2014

Grumpwagon
May 6, 2007

What's the best way to tell when the 14.04 RC comes out today? Just keep refreshing http://cdimage.ubuntu.com/daily-live/current/ ?

I know it's not a big deal and it will update, but I am going to install Ubuntu on a fresh drive today anyway, may as well wait for it.

Grumpwagon
May 6, 2007

I'm going to be running a small home server. Combination home NAS, plex and subsonic server. It's going to be mostly headless, but I'd like to have a GUI occasionally. I will have some ports open to the outside internet, so security is a concern, but obviously, I'm an extremely low profile/priority target.

I'm thinking I should I run Ubuntu server, but I don't know anything about it. Good/bad idea? I was thinking it would keep my unneeded package count down, and I assume I can install anything I needed with apt-get just like with desktop.

I'm an exclusive Ubuntu desktop user at home and work, and I'd consider myself an advanced home user, but not a sysadmin in any way.

EDIT: Reading the OP (after posting, because I'm a moron) says that server is just a different set of packages, so I think I should be good to go.

Grumpwagon fucked around with this message at 00:38 on Apr 19, 2014

Grumpwagon
May 6, 2007

YouTuber posted:

The Linux thread answered the security question with this link the other day infact. https://library.linode.com/security/basics

Cool, that looks really useful. I'll read it over tomorrow.

Installing Desktop went just fine. When I tried to install server, I hit this brick wall. Haven't figured it out yet, and I'm done trying for tonight.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grumpwagon
May 6, 2007

I haven't ran benchmarks or anything, but I'm using a 500gb 840 EVO on Ubuntu 14.04 and it feels fast. I realize that may be the least scientific thing ever said in this thread, but yeah.

• Locked thread