Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad
I've been using 12.04 for a few days now. Coming from the non-Unity gnome.
Here's what I'm used to (and I mentioned this at the tail end of the other thread):
- new chats are indicated by a red number on the tray icon
- new messages in existing chats highlight red the window object in the taskbar

Pidgin:
- new messages blink the tray icon

Here's what I have now:
- no tray icons, so Pidgin has no visual alerts whatsoever
- Skype will blue-colorize its #window indicator to the left of its icon on the left sidebar for new messages for existing chats. But it's tiny and gives me way less info than before

I want to stick this new UI out, but is this really the design they were going after? Has everyone else using Pidgin just lived with this? Or am I missing basic notification applets?
I see one in the Software Center -- Notification Daemon, but every review says it doesn't work.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

jaeger posted:

You can get some of this functionality back by running the following in a terminal:

code:
gsettings set com.canonical.Unity.Panel systray-whitelist "['all']"
If you want to see the current setting before you change it, run:

code:
gsettings get com.canonical.Unity.Panel systray-whitelist
Basically the default UI now blocks notification icons except those in the whitelist.

Cool. I'm gonna install the fallback anyway, but I don't want to be difficult. It's just jarring some of the default choices that Ubuntu makes.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

ShadowHawk posted:

Do you not have the messaging indicator? That's basically the main way pidgin (and Skype, I think) were supposed to subtly tell you what's up.

On a default Ubuntu install it would be the little letter icon in the upper right turning blue.

I do have it, but it only does mail alerts. Skype doesn't seem to talk to it.
I do see Availability settings, and when I change them, they do reflect in Pidgin. But Pidgin's new messages don't go there.

After whitelisting everything, I now get the old smiley face with talk bubble icon flashing in the tray area. But it's still not integrated into the messaging indicator.

e: I should say I have the default tray icons:
messaging indicator
battery life
bluetooth (which I could do without)
networking
sound
time/date
I just haven't seen any other apps be able to deploy their own.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

Thermopyle posted:

AFAICT, 12.10 doesn't have any screensavers or settings for screensavers.

Canonical's bold new vision.

• Locked thread