Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Not Wolverine
Jul 1, 2007
Is the default Ubuntu 12.04 32bit PAE enabled? If so, the 4GB barrier is not present, and thus I cant really think of a good reason to use 64bit. With windows, I went with 64bit thanks to the 4GB "limit". I choose 64bit Linux simply because it seems like the best(?) fit software for my hardware.

Is PAE a mess like segment:offset memory or not?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Not Wolverine
Jul 1, 2007
Is the Gnome 2 fork Mate any good? What about LXDE vs XFCE?

Not Wolverine
Jul 1, 2007

ManSedan posted:

So after messing around with it at work, I just installed Ubuntu 12.04 LTS on my old netbook, mainly so I can mess around with it for fun. Unfortunately this netbook is slow as dogshit, does anyone know of any neat things can I do with it to optimize performance and make it a little more useable?

Switch from Unity to XFCE, LXDE or something similar.

Not Wolverine
Jul 1, 2007
I am running Xubuntu 12.10 on my rear end Eee PC 1001P netbook, I am very pleased and if it were not for class I would be attempting to run Linux on my desktop. I recently insalled an SSD in my netbook, I believe the file system in use is the default Ext4. I have not taken any other steps to prepare this install for an SSD, is there anything I need to be aware of? Also, the drive is Crucial M4 128GB, the drive states it has 000F firmware on the case, I have never verified this. Given Crucial's firmware issues, I would kind of like to verify that is in fact the firmware, can I do this on Linux? I know how to verify the firmware with windows but would prefer to keep that as a last resort option.

The only slight issues I have noticed are both USB related. First, when I plug in a flash drive, I get one icon on the desktop. In the file browser, I see the name of the device listed twice each with an eject icon. The drives work fine, and I click eject on listing in the file browser, and I am left with a notification that the drive was unmounted, the desktop icon goes away, and the drive becomes listed only once without an eject icon.

The second issues is related to my printer, it is a HP Deskjet F-4580. I have the printer connected via USB since I am not sure how to connect the printer via wifi. Also, when I used to have the printer connected to my windows 7 PC via wifi it was a tremendous pain because the printer would loose connection after a period of non-use, and a lot of times I had to fully remove and reinstall the drivers to get the printer working again. Finally, once I purchased refilled ink for my printer, despite all my best efforts the printer became unusable with Windows. Google said I dad to tell the printer to ignore the ink levels, but I had to calibrate printer to access that setting, and I had to have ink to print calibration settings. . . It wasn't going anywhere, and it remained in that state for months. Xubuntu has effectively brought my printer back from the dead thanks to ignoring the ink levels. :haw: Anyhow, I said there was an issue, and that is because my netbook is portable and I don't want to leave it tethered to my printer. The last time that I unpluged the printer I could not get Xubuntu to recognize the printer again. The printer would show up in printer settings with a green check mark but it would "deny" every print job. The solution I have found for this is to turn on the printer and plug it in before booting my netbook, is there a solution to this problem that would not require rebooting my netbook?

Not Wolverine
Jul 1, 2007

Absinthe posted:

I'm trying to boot the Ubuntu 12.10 livecd. I currently have Windows 7 x64 installed. I start my computer to boot the Ubuntu livecd and I get a kernel panic. Something like: cannot mount VFS to unkown root (0,0)
comm swapper/0 not tainted

I posted this on AskUbuntu and got zero responses. I've scoured google trying to find an answer to this and I don't get anything that helps. I've tried reburning the ISO 7 times at the slowest speed. My RAM is good. My HD is good. I am at an utter loss here.

Have you tried booting with the windows 7 hard drive unplugged? This could potentially be a really odd error with your CD drive, I would attempt booting from a USB drive. http://www.pendrivelinux.com/universal-usb-installer-easy-as-1-2-3/ can createa USB drive for you, there are also directions on the Ubuntu website, but in my opinion that program is easier. Have you verified the ISO that you downloaded? https://help.ubuntu.com/community/HowToMD5SUM

Not Wolverine
Jul 1, 2007

greazeball posted:

Sorry, I really wasn't clear. I'd like to check if websites are dangerous for Windows users from my ubuntu machine.

How about a VM with Windows XP? It's a common, vulnerable OS and should be able to alert you to dangers better than any plugin, by alert I mean silently destroy the OS/VM until your run a virus scan. :rimshot:

Not Wolverine
Jul 1, 2007
Running Xubuntu 12.10, and I want to find a good solitaire game.

Requirements:
Draw one/draw three options
Options for vegas or standard scoring
Auto complete that can either be disabled, or only used at end of game (<-- disqualifies pengiun solitaire)
Graphics from this decade (ie better than x solitaire.)

Aisle Riot is almost perfect, but I would really like an option for an auto complete at the end, and sometimes I don't want vegas scoring. I'm also interested in freecell, spider solitaire (preferably with 1,2,3,4 deck options), and maybe even a black jack game. What should I try?

Not Wolverine
Jul 1, 2007

Powered Descent posted:

In AisleRiot you can middle-click the suit stacks to auto complete.

I don't think I would have ever discovered that feature otherwise, thanks! However, that leads me to another problem, I don't believe it is possible for me to middle click on my netbook, it's an Eee PC 1001P with a synaptic touch pad. At the current time, I believe I need to install some more packages or *gasp* manually edit a huge config file to get middle clicking of some kind. Also, if I solve that problem, AisleRiot still won't let me choose to not have vegas scoring where it only lets me flip through the deck twice.

I tried Klondike it's pretty good, but the auto complete is a little overzealous at times, and I am developing a habit of looking down in the corner to see if my game is still winnable or if I need to start mashing undo. . . And the themes are kinda ugly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Not Wolverine
Jul 1, 2007
Xubuntu 14.04, daily build (er, beta 1 updated every day), I sure hope the notifications area starts working right again sometime. . .

Besides all the extra panel icons, 14.04 has been very stable for me. I only have two complaints, first is that switching to Chrome has been a difficult process, and Ubuntu doesn't seem to want to recognize my choice of default browser. I went to settings and chose google chrome as the preferred web browser, but every single time I click the generic "browser" in the menu, it pops up a menu asking me to choose the default browser. . . But that was easy enough to remedy with a shortcut to chrome on the desktop.

My second issue is a little more major, every time I close my netbook's lid it goes to sleep, and when I attempt to open the laptop I believe X is crashing. I open the lid, I am greeted with a lock screen, I key in my password, press enter, and the screen goes blank. . . leaving me to have to hold the power button to shut down the laptop and restart upon which Xubuntu pretends nothing happened. I actually have not tested that feature since today's update (it's not something I like testing), but I am tempted to try to enable Ctrl+Alt+Bkspc to see if that might help the problem. :effort:

Besides all those small inconveniences I listed, Xubuntu 14.04 has been working great for and has not yet crashed/locked up during my light usage (Facebook and Kmines have been thoroughly "tested" by me).

*edit* another day of installing updates, no changes to any of the issues. However, I did enable Ctrl Alt Bksp in /etc/default/keyboard and I can now close the lid on my laptop without having to do a hard reset on my netbook.

Not Wolverine fucked around with this message at 03:42 on Apr 12, 2014

• Locked thread