Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
dont skimp on the shrimp
Apr 23, 2008

:coffee:

Bob Morales posted:

Wasn't stuff still compiled for 386 (and not say, 686) up until just recently?

And if you tell gcc to shoot for 686 or whatever, is it just optimized for 686 or does it use features the 386 didn't have any therefore is incompatible?
That last one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dont skimp on the shrimp
Apr 23, 2008

Powered Descent posted:

Mate is pretty much exactly Gnome 2, with a bunch of names changed around to avoid conflicts. It works exactly like Gnome 2 always has. But there seem to be only four people on the project, and there are some very big jobs ahead of them on their roadmap (like eventually porting everything to GTK3). I wish them luck, but realistically I'd say Mate is more of a stopgap solution than a long-term one.
Personally, I like how cinnamon is coming along. It's developed by the mint guys as a fork of gnome3, and will probably be the default environment for the next release IIRC.

dont skimp on the shrimp
Apr 23, 2008

gmq posted:

I have one question though, is there anything similar to Photoshop that is not GIMP? I used to use a Windows VM just for Photoshop and I'd like to avoid that this time.
There's Krita which seems pretty powerful, though I haven't tried it myself yet.

There's also MyPaint which seems pretty solid (and it starts up quicker than GIMP).

dont skimp on the shrimp
Apr 23, 2008

Shane-O-Mac posted:

I'm completely new to Ubuntu. I have an older desktop running 12.04, and I'm using it as a media server for a couple HTPC's while also running SABNZBD. What's the best way to decrease power consumption? I've seen things like Jupiter, laptop mode tools, etc, but like I said I'm new to all this. So far I've just tried using the suspend mode, but I noticed that once it suspends my HTPC loses its connection.
You mean the connection to the machine you just put in sleep mode? Yeah, that's how suspend works. It takes down pretty much everything except what's needed to keep the RAM going. That means programs won't do anything while it's sleeping, and the network cards are powered down.

If you want to decrease power consumption, make sure you have cpufreq and laptop_mode installed. The basic settings should be enough to decrease it quite a lot, and they'll be active immediately after installation IIRC (well, assuming your hardware has support for that kind of stuff).

dont skimp on the shrimp
Apr 23, 2008

angrytech posted:

Youtube flash on my 12.04 system has some weird color inversion going on: blues are red and reds are blue kinda deal. I'd try fixing it, but videos just look so drat cool with crazy trippy colors. :3:
You use nvidia, right? If that's the case, it's a known thing. Disabling hardware acceleration for flash has helped some people. Personally I just use the html5-version, though that doesn't work for all videos.

dont skimp on the shrimp
Apr 23, 2008

Craptacular! posted:

Given Valve's love of polling people's system configurations in the past, I don't see why they won't see all but the most niche distros. Check the uname -a result if nothing else.
Why would they need to do anything? As Longinus00 and Xenomorph said, they could easily solve it with static linking. Much easier than to recompile each game every time a distro updates its libs.

Besides, dumping it in /opt is pretty much the standard solution for all non-OSS software.

dont skimp on the shrimp
Apr 23, 2008

Worst case, a symlink would probably suffice.

dont skimp on the shrimp
Apr 23, 2008

Crayvex posted:

Thanks for the clarifications, everyone. I hope that this takes care of my intermittent wireless issues. It will just stop being able to authenticate to my WPA2-PSK home network. I have to delete the wireless config and power off the machine and then upon reboot I can config it and it work fine...for awhile.

I'm doing tons of stuff with ettercap, sslstrip, and Kismet so I thought maybe that had something to do with it even though it shouldn't. Messing around with ARP tables and IP-forwarding shouldn't have any affect on associating with a wireless network.
You could also try playing around with the wl driver too if you have a broadcom card.

dont skimp on the shrimp
Apr 23, 2008

angrytech posted:

I generally always use x64 unless there's a problem that requires x86. Generally it's either driver issues or a 32 bit processor, but I haven't run into that for years now.
Wine can be finicky too, depending on distro of choice.

dont skimp on the shrimp
Apr 23, 2008

ShadowHawk posted:

How would you say Wine in Ubuntu compares?
Oh right, we're in the ubuntu thread. :shobon:

I haven't actually used it in 64-bit ubuntu at all, so I can't say. My experience was mostly based on 64-bit arch.

I've actually started dualbooting with the 12.10 alpha, and unity has kinda grown on me to be honest. I like the way you can do most things just by keyboard hotkeys.

dont skimp on the shrimp
Apr 23, 2008

MaterialConceptual posted:

Sorry if this has been asked already, but is anyone working on a Cinnamon flavour of Ubuntu? I'm really liking where Cinnamon is going, and I'd like to use something that works out of the box without having to switch to Linux Mint (So I can still use the Ubuntu Software Center etc.).

Also having attempted an upgrade to 12.10 the other day, I really recommend that everyone treat it as a "beta" and stick with 12.04.1 unless there is something you REALLY want in 12.10. I still donated some cash though because 12.04.1 is just that good.
You can just install the ubuntu software center and any other ubuntu stuff in mint. They use the same repos as regular ubuntu.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dont skimp on the shrimp
Apr 23, 2008

Craptacular! posted:

Firefox, Chromium, etc use the standalone plugin that Adobe abandoned in February. We're heading into a Linux future where you either choose Chrome or an iOS style no-Flash experience on the web. For most mainstream users, this makes Chrome the only browser there is. Flash won't be relevant in a matter of years, but it'll be a most painful transition since Windows and Mac users may continue to be using Flash for some time to come, and the (desktop) web might coddle them long into the night.
This is wrong. Adobe abandoned the plugin that uses NPAPI. Browsers which use PPAPI can install the new plugin and it works just fine. This is the same plugin that's shipped with chrome, but you can use it in chromium just fine. I haven't tried it with firefox yet though.

So no, it's not "chrome or bust", rather "PPAPI-compatible browser or old flash (which still gets security updates from adobe)".

E: https://wiki.mozilla.org/NPAPI:Pepper

quote:

Mozilla is not interested in or working on Pepper at this time. See the Chrome Pepper pages.

So firefox doesn't support PPAPI yet.

dont skimp on the shrimp fucked around with this message at 17:43 on Nov 4, 2012

• Locked thread