Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

I decided to make the move to Xubuntu. I love the poo poo out of the default layout, but is there any way to make the bottom panel keyboard-navigational? Basically what I would like to do is make it so that I can hit a key combination to summon it and then use arrow keys to select the icon I want.

For now I'll just deal with a shortcut that brings up the Application Finder.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

sass menagerie posted:

I'm thinking of finally dual-booting this release, rather than playing around with it in Virtualbox. The one thing I'm wondering before I go ahead with it is why 32-bit is still the recommended version. Is it mainly to prevent the technically inexperienced from downloading something that might not work with their architecture, or are there still major compatibility issues with 64-bit?

That's odd, I thought they planned to change the recommended version to 64-bit upon this release. I didn't really notice if they did or not because I needed 32-bit anyway.

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

Does anyone use the Ubuntu One cloud service? I'm on the lookout for one that isn't Dropbox but is cross-platform. Would goons recommend it?

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

Powered Descent posted:

I'm just trying out SpiderOak and it looks great so far. Join the goon referral chain here (and try not to have horrendously bad timing like I did and fork the chain): http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3420383

Once you're signed up, put in the promo code worldbackupday to increase your storage to 5 gigs, and get another gig when the next goon uses your referral code (which you can generate here).

Thanks for this! I'm in!

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

In Xubuntu is there any way to tell Apport to send crash reports automatically? I get one every time I wake the computer from sleep (though nothing at all seems to be broken :confused:) and it's kind of annoying.

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

Oops. Forgot about the thread :blush:

Longinus00 posted:

What program is crashing? It should say in the crash report.

blueman-applet. I assume it's the Bluetooth manager? Seems to happen often after opening the laptop's lid, but it doesn't seem to do anything. My Bluetooth mouse works just fine after it happens. I don't want to make Apport ignore the crash (which is an option), I just want it to be sent automatically.

Speaking of mice: Can anyone recommend a touchpad manager that has the same functionality as Synaptiks but, you know, actually loving works?

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

I'm using a Macbook 2,1; dual-booting OSX and Xubuntu 12.04. The laptop seems to have a lot of trouble connecting to my wireless network. Xubuntu reports the connection as successful and a great signal, but I can hardly do a thing with it. There is a lot of latency and it takes forever to actually load anything. I'm not sure what kind of diagnostics checks I can do here, so I was hoping someone here could give me a hand getting this to work.

For the record, wireless works fine in OSX.

EDIT: Guess I should mention that my other computer (Toshiba Satellite running Windows 7) connects without a problem as well. It's just Linux...

Mak0rz fucked around with this message at 17:31 on May 29, 2012

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

Penguissimo posted:

Unless you listen to any classical music ever, in which case it's worthless because they haven't implemented support for the Composer tag at any point in the last decade.

I recently discovered Clementine, and this is one of the many reasons why I made the switch to it over Rhythmbox. It's pretty much a Linux version of foobar2000, only without the capacity to be customized to ridiculously niche tastes.

Just wish it supported gapless playback. Some Linux users listen to progressive rock you know :argh:

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

Penguissimo posted:

One question: if I'm on the All Files smart playlist, and I sort by album, is there any way to have it sort each individual album by the track number in the id3 tag? Right now it's going alphabetically by file name, which is a problem since the filenames don't include the track number.

Right click and edit the smart playlist. Go through the pages until you find the sorting algorithm one. Sorting is the only issue I have with Clementine because it can be obtuse. I have my library named so that they should be sorted by directory (e.g. in Windows: C:/Users/Mak0rz/Music/Artist/year Album/track# Title), so there's always a hierarchy that goes: Artist > Albums in chronological order > tracks in sequential order. It was a pain to figure out how to get Clementine to sort things this way.

In case you're wondering there's also a "File Name (with directory)" column heading instead of just straight-up file name.

Mak0rz fucked around with this message at 19:21 on Jun 20, 2012

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

I was messing around in Xubuntu (logged in with an "xfce session" and played with the different themes) and now window opacity settings are bricked.

I used to have semi-transparent notifications and icon panel, but now it just doesn't work no matter how much I mess with the opacity settings (the settings seem to be gone for the lower panel too...)

What happened? Restarting the computer didn't help and Googling turned no results, so I'm out of ideas.

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

ShadowHawk posted:

You could try futzing with the themes under Ubuntu proper in an attempt to reset it. I forget how to choose themes in vanilla Ubuntu these days though.

I believe that things could be normal again with a new user account as well. If that's the case you could try figuring out which hidden file/folder in your home directory is responsible and manually delete it.

Thanks. I found out what was wrong once I realized it worked fine in the Guest account. Compositing got disabled somehow. Everything's back to normal now :downs:

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

Can anyone tell me what's happening here? These are the only duplicate applications I can find, but who knows what else is in my list of installed things. One of each set of duplicates does not run ("Failed to execute command...") and those that do not work are Gnome applications, where I'm using Xubuntu (12.04 32-bit)

How do I get rid of them and (possibly) others.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

Bob Morales posted:

Anyone else running 12.04 on a Mac?

I installed it on my 2010 Macbook Air and everything pretty much works perfectly out of the box. Used a USB drive that I dd'd the ISO to, installed rEFIt and it dual-boots as easy as on a PC.

Touchpad is super-sensitve and the wifi is a little buggy (lags on startup and magically lost the network twice), but the CPU clocks down and the brightness etc keys work.

I'm running it (Xubuntu 12.04) on a fairly old Macbook 2,1 with no problems whatsoever. Brightness and volume keys work without issue and the touchpad is fine. I never tested the firewire or the video outputs, however. Have you?

• Locked thread