Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Daynab
Aug 5, 2008

I'm pretty new at Linux, and tried Ubuntu a while back but it just seemed so... bloated. Like having 30 different programs already preinstalled that I don't need.

Is there any alternative Ubuntu where the distro is lightweight, has the necessary stuff installed but lets me choose what programs I actually want to get in the first place?

I looked at Lubuntu and Xubuntu but I'm not exactly sure of the differences beyond the UI.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Daynab
Aug 5, 2008

ShadowHawk posted:

But maybe what actually bothers you is that there's a good chunk of apps you don't use cluttering up the space. They're mostly buried inside the Dash search these days -- apps you actually use you can put on the dock (and remove the ones from the dock you don't use) -- that way you won't see stuff like system settings until you really want to go looking for it.

Yeah, that's basically it. I'll give this new version a try I guess.

Powered Descent I'll check that out too, thanks for the suggestion.

• Locked thread