Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
HolyDukeNukem
Sep 10, 2008

mindphlux posted:

so, I have an ASUS ux31a. I've installed linux on it, and after some degree of angst, have gotten the wifi card in it to work. Mouse gestures are a totally other story but :

my X (kde) is really slow. I think it's because some standard VGA drivers are loaded, where my intel HD4000 drivers should be. but I'm a linux nub, and don't know A. how to see what drivers are loaded after I startX, and B. how to change them for the appropriate ones on linuxgraphicsdrivers.org or whatever that site is.

look for a package called "xf86-video-intel" or something of that nature. That is the intel driver, though all of intel's drivers are open source so I don't know why it wouldn't just immediately install them by default.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HolyDukeNukem
Sep 10, 2008

Zedicus Mann posted:

I did do a disc check before installing today and all files on the CD passed, so I'll try unplugging my ethernet.

I don't know if it changes anything, but I am using the Ext4 Journaling Filesystem

Edit:

Disconnecting from the network did nothing.

I had a similar issue with my thinkpad x120e. I had to revert back to bios instead of elf. The other option is try installing through an alternate cd.

HolyDukeNukem
Sep 10, 2008

Sir_Substance posted:

I'm out of ideas here guys, so if anyone has a good idea, lets hear it.

I'm working on installing ubuntu onto a surface pro. It boots to the live environment fine. The type cover doesn't work, but I have a kernel patch ready to deploy for that. The problem is, I can't make it boot on the surface.

It installs just fine, but when you reboot it, the system boots to the UEFI config screen.

I've now tried with ubuntu 12.04, 14.04 (this is the one with the kernel compiled, so ideally this one) and centos (keyboard works, wifi doesn't, go figure) and none of them will boot after installation.

I presume I am missing something either arcane or obvious about setting up the boot partitions, but I don't know what it is.

I've tried all of these with their default partition layouts, and also tried manually specifying both a UEFI and legacy bios boot partition with 14.04, to no avail. Always installs, never boots after installation.

:confused:

What the hell is going on, this is supposed to be the easy part!

Unfortunately, I don't know the answer to this. But I was having the same issues with my Thinkpad 120e in UEFI mode. I think it's an issue with grub efi mode. I ended up putting it into legacy mode in order to install Ubuntu.

• Locked thread